ADVERTISEMENT

NY Times on ND Changing With New Financial Realities

The university straight up tells you who they are in that article. It’s amazing how many people don’t believe them. The job Brian Kelly has done working within these limitations at the highest level is truly remarkable. Two undefeated teams with the current program SOP really should already place him among the legendary coaches at Notre Dame.

The university straight up tells you who they are in that article. It’s amazing how many people don’t believe them. The job Brian Kelly has done working within these limitations at the highest level is truly remarkable. Two undefeated teams with the current program SOP really should already place him among the legendary coaches at Notre Dame.
To be up there with Rockne and Leahy and Ara and Lou he has got to win at least one NC.

I do agree that he has gotten better which is unusual in a coach who has been here as long as he has. 9 years. BUT at the same time the odds of him winning a NC is getting longer each year. Not many coaches win a NC after being at a school that long. NONE of ND's coaches who won their first one comes close to that. This year I think is by far his best shot. Frankly I doubt he will last long enough to get another this good.

Reactions: HarlemIrish
To be up there with Rockne and Leahy and Ara and Lou he has got to win at least one NC.

I do agree that he has gotten better which is unusual in a coach who has been here as long as he has. 9 years. BUT at the same time the odds of him winning a NC is getting longer each year. Not many coaches win a NC after being at a school that long. NONE of ND's coaches who won their first one comes close to that. This year I think is by far his best shot. Frankly I doubt he will last long enough to get another this good.
Tom Osborne did several times

It still blows my mind that the national media doesn't celebrate and embrace more the notion of student-athletes, of doing things the right way. Academics first, athletics second. I know its pie in the sky thinking, but damn that is what it is suppose to be about. You want professional football? Then follow the games on Sundays. This is supposed to be "college" football. A game played by Student-athletes. I soooooo want us to prove to the world that that can still be the case. GOIRISH!!!!!

It still blows my mind that the national media doesn't celebrate and embrace more the notion of student-athletes, of doing things the right way. Academics first, athletics second. I know its pie in the sky thinking, but damn that is what it is suppose to be about. You want professional football? Then follow the games on Sundays. This is supposed to be "college" football. A game played by Student-athletes. I soooooo want us to prove to the world that that can still be the case. GOIRISH!!!!!
most national media sold out long ago to ratings and whatever attracts attention. They are whores so to expect anything else is dumb.
I should apologize to whores since they at least provide the service they are paid for.

The irony is the very thing that helped Notre Dame vault forward for a while
. . .Television...
Is now really what hinders them.

The TV exposure once the Irish only could claim is long gone. Anybody can watch pretty much anyone from any place that has cell service in 2018.

Oh well...my favorite was when the NCAA goes to a pay for play system we'll be leaving the NCAA.

I love it.

I used to think similarly, but with the acceptance that the program is currently operating under extreme disadvantages to the top competition also comes the acknowledgement that what Coach Kelly is doing is pretty special.

Could any of the other playoff coaches produce two undefeated seasons?
It’s easy to say yes Saban is the GOAT and could do the same, but he as only ever won at the highest levels with elite talent. He left a solid program at MSU because he didn’t feel he could win with the talent pool available there.

Rockne,Leahy, and Ara did not operate with the same standards as Coach Kelly either.

I used to think similarly, but with the acceptance that the program is currently operating under extreme disadvantages to the top competition also comes the acknowledgement that what Coach Kelly is doing is pretty special.

It’s easy to say yes Saban is the GOAT and could do the same, but he as only ever won at the highest levels with elite talent. He left a solid program at MSU because he didn’t feel he could win with the talent pool available there.

Rockne,Leahy, and Ara did not operate with the same standards as Coach Kelly either.

If the old system was in play (when ND didn’t play Bowls) BK would have a Title.

Some legendary ND coaches have titles when they finished the regular season #1 & didn’t play in a bowl.
ND was #1 in both polls at the end of the regular season in 2012 & would have won the title back in the day.

The BIG advantage that Rockne, Leahy, and Parseghian shared over the others were unlimited scholarship offers. I think that in Lou's last three seasons we saw the impact of limited scholarships. Also these three giants were very stingy coaches. They won the games they were supposed to win and most the major games too. I really don't think Coach Kelly will retire at the end of his current contract. He has found how to enjoy coaching at this elite level. I think it will be hard for him to walk away with so much gas in his tank. It would be for me anyhow.

Reactions: rgc7

true but that talent is only there because of Saban.

I’ll take undefeated seasons, a #3 ranking, and a shot at the title any day over the football factory system Saban and Myer have built. ND is better than all of them. Look at graduation rates and quality of student athlete ND produces vs Bama and OSU.

Then you should oppose the playoff and expansion of it. A drawn out postseason favors the teams with deepest talent pool. It in the team with limited resources to have it come down to one game.

The BIG advantage that Rockne, Leahy, and Parseghian shared over the others were unlimited scholarship offers.

Obviously great and legendary coaches but a different time. There’s only certain types of players ND can recruit while other schools can recruit different types. Rockne Leahy didn’t have that disadvantage and Ara didn’t really either and that’s not even going into racial demographics.

To do what Kelly has done in today’s game is truly remarkable.

Then you should oppose the playoff and expansion of it. A drawn out postseason favors the teams with deepest talent pool. It in the team with limited resources to have it come down to one game.

I don't want an expansion on the playoff because i don't want the regular season to be further watered down but i disagree with your post entirely.

A playoff expansion allows more teams into the playoff. And in 1 game playoff situation, because 1 game is a small sample size, anybody can beat anybody. So you will start to see a lot of the 5th, 6th, 7th, or 8th ranked teams or whatever (who would have never even made the current playoff) winning national titles.

I don't want an expansion on the playoff because i don't want the regular season to be further watered down but i disagree with your post entirely.

A playoff expansion allows more teams into the playoff. And in 1 game playoff situation, because 1 game is a small sample size, anybody can beat anybody. So you will start to see a lot of the 5th, 6th, 7th, or 8th ranked teams or whatever (who would have never even made the current playoff) winning national titles.
I don't understand that at all. You just said the #7 team has to win three games instead of 1. The expanded playoff harms a UCF/Boise to benefit a talented but underperforming program like Florida.

I'm sure you realize that Ara recruited and played black players long before the SEC schools even thought about recruiting them. Yes by year 10 Father Hesburgh had impacted the football team with his academics first mandate. He just didn't try and cripple the program like some nearsighted predecessors did before Father Jenkins rescued the program. I may disagree with his political views but I love the way he supports the football program. 10 EE this fall! I never in my wildest dreams thought that would happen. He's even allowed Coach Kelly a few grad transfers; another welcome change. I will hate seeing Father Jenkins leave one day. He has been a breath of fresh air for our beloved football program. He has allowed Uncle Jack and Coach Kelly the latitude to bring ND football into the 21st century. I think Coach Kelly and his staff has done an amazing job these last two seasons. He's positioned ND to have outstanding teams for years to come.

I don't understand that at all. You just said the #7 team has to win three games instead of 1. The expanded playoff harms a UCF/Boise to benefit a talented but underperforming program like Florida.

Any team that gets into the playoff, their national title chance exponentially increases (regardless of the quality of their team/program). In a year where you would have been #8 and nobody would have known/cared about you otherwise .. you are now only 3 wins away from winning a national title.

In order to get into a very exclusive do or die national championship tournament right now, you have to have a near flawless regular season. The top 4 teams are the best of the best.

In the current 4 team playoff format, if the #4 team upsets the #1 team then it's easier to stomach because that #4 team probably only has 1 loss and has had a near flawless regular season.

In an 8 team playoff scenario, however, some of those teams seeded in the back end of the playoff some years are probably going to have 2-3 losses.

The day programs like a 10-3 north carolina st. or iowa (random hypothetical examples of the types of programs who will be lucking into that 7th or 8th spot some seasons) start winning national titles, is the day college football loses what makes the season so enthralling and waters down what it means to be a college football national champion.

Last edited:
Chase, that's the very reason I want the format to stay at four teams. I don't want college football to end up like college basketball. I don't even follow college basketball anymore until tournament time. You have to be pretty bad to miss the NCAA Tournament. College Basketball has become a pathetic joke IMHO.

Here's a great article on Who is Brian Kelly....

https://www.ndinsider.com/football/...cle_188b77a4-7f31-5449-9426-89bc09f9de95.html

Last edited:
If the old system was in play (when ND didn’t play Bowls) BK would have a Title.

Some legendary ND coaches have titles when they finished the regular season #1 & didn’t play in a bowl.
ND was #1 in both polls at the end of the regular season in 2012 & would have won the title back in the day.
Lol and bama would claim another dubious naty as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT