ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame Game Day

catholicreb

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2023
Hey guys, me and 2 buddies are headed up from Oxford, MS for the Notre Dame/Pitt game in 2 weeks. It is all of our first trip to South Bend, and we want to make it as much of an experience as we can! We're staying in Chicago Friday night and headed over to South Bend first thing Saturday morning and spending Saturday night there. Any recs to improve our game day experience? Bars? Tailgates? Restaurants? Any info is appreciated.

Buy a good parking pass and tailgate. No better pregame atmosphere than the Joyce lot. Get there as gates open on Saturday and enjoy.

Reactions: 1Redrum
Hey guys, me and 2 buddies are headed up from Oxford, MS for the Notre Dame/Pitt game in 2 weeks. It is all of our first trip to South Bend, and we want to make it as much of an experience as we can! We're staying in Chicago Friday night and headed over to South Bend first thing Saturday morning and spending Saturday night there. Any recs to improve our game day experience? Bars? Tailgates? Restaurants? Any info is appreciated.
My son attended Ole Miss. I visited Oxford a few times and found it to be a very nice college town. I haven't been back to ND for close to 20 years now, but I can assure you that even though there has been a fair amount of redevelopment, especially near the ND campus, it's not really much of a draw. Your best bet, as Shooter recommended, is to get a parking pass and come prepared to tailgate and wonder around the campus before and after the game.

My son attended Ole Miss. I visited Oxford a few times and found it to be a very nice college town. I haven't been back to ND for close to 20 years now, but I can assure you that even though there has been a fair amount of redevelopment, especially near the ND campus, it's not really much of a draw. Your best bet, as Shooter recommended, is to get a parking pass and come prepared to tailgate and wonder around the campus before and after the game.
Depends on the age group. The younger crowd enjoys Eddy Street Commons and a few of the newer bars. Downtown also developed a bit

Your first mistake is staying in Chicago Friday. If u can, stay Chicago Thursday night n get to ND Friday. Stay anywhere in nd. Point is get there Friday. You then can get the vibe on campus all day without massive crowds of Saturday. On Friday walk campus. On Friday nite 11:50 be at golden dome for drummers circle. I don’t know if they still do pep rallies on Friday
On Saturday go to band concert at Bond And watch player walk to stadium

Reactions: graceh90
Staying in Chicago Friday night is a great call, I have friends that did the same last weekend for USC, actually stayed in Chicago Thursday and Friday. Stellar city. From there, leave real early Saturday, and strictly tailgate. And I agree, the Joyce Lot is best.

Reactions: bizzybecknd
Staying in Chicago Friday night is a great call, I have friends that did the same last weekend for USC, actually stayed in Chicago Thursday and Friday. Stellar city. From there, leave real early Saturday, and strictly tailgate. And I agree, the Joyce Lot is best.
I completely disagree. This group is coming from away for their first ever visit and you emphasize staying in Chicago and getting to campus and “strictly tailgate“. Really? Chicago is a great city, but there are a lot of great cities and they are not coming north to go to Wrigleyville. tailgating in the Joyce Lot is great, but seriously….it’s a stadium parking lot.

It would be a crime if a first and possibly once in a lifetime visitor were not aware of all they other gameday events and scenes on that beautiful campus.

Perhaps I am biased, but if I am fortunate enough to make it back to campus (I live 1K m away), I get through Chicago asap and the Joyce lot is my last stop

Visit campus Friday and do all the sights and book store. Saturday you should tailgate at the Joyce lot, walk campus for a while and def do the band March into the stadium. Go into the stadium 45-60 mins pregame and enjoy the sight of the team warmups, band, flyover……. Chicago was a great city years ago. Now I wouldn’t spend more than a Thursday night there.

Thanks for all the feedback. We all love Chicago (granted we stay in the nicer areas) so we’re spending the day there for sure. Too many good food spots and cocktails not to enjoy it for a night.

Tailgating out of a car might be difficult as we’re flying in and getting a rental, so won’t have any tailgating gear. Will likely park it at the hotel and Uber to campus. Will definitely make a loop through the Joyce lot and Check it out though.

Best food/bar in the area??

Thanks for all the feedback. We all love Chicago (granted we stay in the nicer areas) so we’re spending the day there for sure. Too many good food spots and cocktails not to enjoy it for a night.

Tailgating out of a car might be difficult as we’re flying in and getting a rental, so won’t have any tailgating gear. Will likely park it at the hotel and Uber to campus. Will definitely make a loop through the Joyce lot and Check it out though.

I do not blame you for your love for Chicago. Love that city.

Sounds like you have a great plan. Enjoy.

I agree arriving Friday afternoon is best but considering your plans maybe have a disposable (one you don't mind leaving behind) cooler backpack. Joyce lot pass would be ideal. Take a stroll by the Grotto after the game....looks best at night but make sure to walk the campus early before getting stuck tailgating.
If it's cold stick your head inside O'Rourke's at Eddy Street Commons to warm up and have a drink. The Linebacker is a quintessential College dive bar for after the game or perhaps Brothers at Eddy Street.

Downtown I like Fiddlers Hearth - Rocco's for Pizza maybe after the game

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT