ADVERTISEMENT

Football Notre Dame Football: Practice 8 Notes

Bryan Driskell

Football Analyst
Apr 19, 2015
Granger, IN
Notre Dame held its eighth practice of the 2019 season today, and we were allowed to see the first hour. That constituted mainly stretch and individual periods. We saw a chunk of the 1on1 periods, so not enough to write a full practice report. Here are some of my notes from the practice:

(Lou will have more in his notebook as well)

QUARTERBACK

*** Starter Ian Book seemed to have a bit more zip on his passes today, so he's probably on the back end of getting over that dead arm period I have mentioned. This was evident during the individual period where the QB's were working on corner routes in the red zone and during a scramble drill. Book was getting the ball over top more effectively and it came down sharper, which is evident of more zip/power on the ball. Book was about as accurate during 1on1s as I've seen him in this particular fall camp.

*** Book started the 1on1 session off on a high note, hitting WR MIchael Young on a well-placed go route to beat CB TaRiq Bracy, who was actually in decent position on the play. Later in the practice, Book connected with Lawrence Keys on a wide fade route that was once again well placed, allowing Keys to snatch the ball out of the air against S Alohi Gilman. Book later connected with Young again on an In route where Bracy was once again in decent position, but Book put zip on the pass and hit Young in the chest, which allowed the Irish wideout to turn his chest, shield off Bracy and haul in the pass.

*** Sophomore QB Phil Jurkovec continued his strong camp. During the individual period he was mostly sharp on the corner route, missing long on one throw, but his passes were getting a lot more spin and they were a bit tighter from a spiral standpoint. I'm not someone who cares much about whether a pass is a spiral or not. But what the additional revolutions and tighter spirals mean for Jurkovec is that he's snapping the ball off and his arm speed is where it needs to be. This is allowing him to not only get power on the ball, but it also helps him be a bit more accurate and it means he's getting the ball out quicker b/c of the additional arm speed.

*** Jurkovec hit sophomore WR Kevin Austin on a perfectly placed Go route for a long touchdown on his first 1on1 rep. On the next snap he quickly got a slant route out to WR Joe Wilkins Jr. for a completion and he threw an absolutely perfect corner route to WR Kendall Abdur-Rahman, placing the ball perfectly over the arms of 6-4 freshman S Kyle Hamilton, allowing Williams to make a brilliant catch. His last two throws were a well placed corner route to WR Javon McKinley (beating Troy Pride, who stumbled) and another precision corner throw to Williams.

RB/WR vs. DB's - 1on1s

*** At running back, the only action we saw from them was during the 1on1 period, and the backs didn't get many reps. I only saw one snap of both Jafar Armstrong and Tony Jones Jr., and both made short catches on their reps. Freshman RB Kyren Williams was the only one to get extensive action, and once again, the young back made plays.

*** Today was the first time we've seen Kevin Austin get decent reps, and the sophomore receiver made his presence felt right away. Freshman CB KJ Wallace has been off to a good start, but on the first 1on1 reps he took against Austin, the Irish wideout smoked him off the line and turned on the jets, hauling in a long touchdown pass from Jurkovec. Austin looked a lot more involved during today's practice.

*** Junior WR Michael Young continues to be a camp standout. He started the 1on1 period off by beating Bracy on a Go route for a big gain and later again beat Bracy on an In cut. He was sharp during drills and has been good on short to intermediate throws all camp, but today we saw him use his speed even more to make plays.

*** Sophomore WR Joe Wilkins Jr. badly beat CB Avery Davis off the line on a slant route. He did a quick stutter step and then hit a hard outside jab that got Davis to bite, and then Wilkins beat him inside for the slant with a lot of room to work. It was a strong release and a sharp route.

*** I only saw one reps from sophomore Lawrence Keys III, but it was an impressive rep. He ran a wide fade route from the slot against safety Alohi Gilman. Keys got a step on Gilman, which had the veteran defender in catch up mode, which made it easier for Keys to turn back for the well-thrown backshoulder throw from Book, resulting in a big play for the offense.

*** I mentioned earlier the strong catch by freshman WR Kendall Abdur-Rahman over Hamilton. It was actually very good coverage by Hamilton, who stayed with the wideout and was in good position, but the throw from Jurkovec was perfect and Abdur-Rahman made an impressive sideline grab for a big gain.

*** It was a rough start to the day for sophomore WR Braden Lenzy. I've mentioned time and again how dynamic he is, but also that he must improve his release at the line. Today he got jammed at the line by freshman CB Isaiah Rutherford, resulting in the QB not even trying to throw the ball. When a DB can force a QB not to even attempt a throw that's a dominant, dominant rep. Later, Lenzy tried to run a wide fade against Hamilton but he didn't use his hands when he ran by him, which allowed Hamilton to just shove him to the ground. That part of his game absolutely must improve because it will allow his speed to play up even more.

*** From a defensive standpoint, seeing Rutherford play with such aggressiveness and using his length to shut down Lenzy on the play was impressive. This was also the best 1on1 session for Hamilton, who has largely struggled in the period because his man skills aren't as good as his zone skills at this point.

*** Senior safety Jalen Elliott had an impressive win against TE Brock Wright, jumping all over an In cut and breaking up the pass. CB KJ Wallace got beat badly by Austin on his first rep, but he bounced back and had a breakup on a comeback route against sophomore WR Micah Jones later in practice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News