ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Notre Dame 2025 four-star LB target Gavin Nix growing bond with Irish

Charleston Bowles

Posts Like A Champion
Staff
Mar 16, 2023

I had an opportunity to talk with Notre Dame 2025 four-star linebacker target Gavin Nix on Friday evening. Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy moved to 3-0 after defeating Indianapolis (Ind.) Ben Davis 34-14. Nix visited campus in the spring and is one of the linebackers defensive coordinator Al Golden is after in the 2025 recruiting class.

According to Rivals, Nix is ranked as the No. 120 overall player and No. 4 inside linebacker in the 2025 class.

Golden actually texted Nix earlier on Friday afternoon before Nix and IMG took the field. Nix said the Irish have been in contact since Aug. 1 and Golden gave him an encouraging message and wished him good luck.

The 6-foot, 227-pound defender spent most of his April visit around Golden and head coach Marcus Freeman chopping it up about the linebacker position and learning about each other. Nix said he instantly clicked with Freeman because of his past as a player and his ability to relate to the position he's in.

For Nix, some programs standing out are all four Florida schools, Alabama and North Carolina. He told me Notre Dame's academics hold weight and he's very excited to see where the relationship goes because of Golden, Freeman and their maturity as coaches.

"I love the bond that they have as a coaching staff," Nix told Inside ND Sports. "How they bond, how they are patient and how they teach their players ... I love things like that."

Nix looked like the complete package at inside linebacker from my perspective on Friday. He was great at shedding blockers and stopping the run. Nix laid some big hits throughout the matchup and recorded several assisted and solo tackles. I thought his most impressive attribute was his ability to read, get downhill and make the correct angle to tackle.

He wasn't tested in pass coverage that much but does move a little bit slower than his teammate and Notre Dame 2025 four-star linebacker target Nathaniel Owusu-Boateng in warmups and in pursuit of the ball.

Nix holds 20 total offers including Notre Dame, Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Florida State, Miami (Fla.), Michigan, Tennessee, Texas and UCF. He's working to finalize a visit for Sept. 23 when the Irish host Ohio State but nothing is set.

Link to full story:

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News