ADVERTISEMENT

NFL overtime?

78: I agree 100%. Chance to tie was always an unspoken rule on the playgrounds of my youth.

NFL system is much better in my opinion. Starting from the 25 is whack.

I agree, for the pros maybe starting at the 25 wouldn't be appropriate. But at least something where BOTH teams get and equal number of offense drives ... maybe starting at their own 25 and having to go 75 yards.

As it is right now, its almost as if the winner is decided by a coin flip.

I agree, for the pros maybe starting at the 25 wouldn't be appropriate. But at least something where BOTH teams get and equal number of offense drives ... maybe starting at their own 25 and having to go 75 yards.

As it is right now, its almost as if the winner is decided by a coin flip.

Win the coin flip, then all you have to do is score and the game is over.

"ALL YOU HAVE TO DO...."???

As if it's easy to receive a kickoff, drive the length of the field and score in the NFL.
It's not. Lets not forget the Patriots were not on the field alone for that final drive. Atlanta's defense was on the field also. All they had to do was stop them, and they get the ball back.

Last edited:
Reactions: sluggo69
Who else would rather see the college type of OT with both teams getting a chance to score?
I think the college system is way better, but if you listen to many pundits I think that is a minority opinion.

I recall that Belichik won an OT coin toss vs Jets once and decided to kickoff ... Jets scored and I guess Bill learned a lesson

NFL OT is a terrible system. It would be like having extra innings in baseball where, if a team scored in the top of the 10th, the game is over.

B I N G O

I find it hard to believe that the majority of owners/GMs voted in favor of this rule.

IMHO, terrible way to decide a championship game.

As if it's easy to receive a kickoff, drive the length of the field and score in the NFL.
It's not. Lets not forget the Patriots were not of the field alone for that final drive. Atlanta's defense was on the field also. All they had to do was stop them, and they get the ball back.
The game only ends if the receiving team scores a TD. Don't t really care for it but do prefer it over the college rule.

It is silly the consequences of the biggest game of the year in overtime to be decided by coin toss
if your defense allows the opposing team to go 80 yards and score a TD- game over, no excuses. If they can hold them to a field goal- your offense gets a chance.

if your defense allows the opposing team to go 80 yards and score a TD- game over, no excuses. If they can hold them to a field goal- your offense gets a chance.

Disagree. Going back to my baseball analogy, even if a team scores 5 runs in the top of the 10th, the other team still gets a shot. I think basic fairness dictates that each team at least gets the ball once.

Reactions: Nocalirish
They need to play 1 ten minute over time period then If one team holds the ball for 10 minutes and scores so be it. If that ends in a tie, then it's a tie. SB nd the playoffs being different.

Disagree. Going back to my baseball analogy, even if a team scores 5 runs in the top of the 10th, the other team still gets a shot. I think basic fairness dictates that each team at least gets the ball once.
The defense dictates whether or not their offense gets the ball. I Think it's fair, if I'm a coach and my defense knows it can't allow a team to go the length of the field and score a TD but fails to do so, then can't complain..

At least it is better then the old field goal wins, now that was rough.

NFL OT is a terrible system. It would be like having extra innings in baseball where, if a team scored in the top of the 10th, the game is over.
Your correct..I know we brought this up at lunch the other day.Remember??

The defense dictates whether or not their offense gets the ball. I Think it's fair, if I'm a coach and my defense knows it can't allow a team to go the length of the field and score a TD but fails to do so, then can't complain..

At least it is better then the old field goal wins, now that was rough.

True ... but it was determined by the flip of a coin. Supposingly the other team had gotten the ball first. I still think its fairer if both teams get to start an equal number of drives.

Reactions: ndnd and NDSMC78
Heard this today. How about play another quarter? Then if it is still tied? Maybe require 2 pt conv only in OT to limit ties.

It's not. Lets not forget the Patriots were not of the field alone for that final drive. Atlanta's defense was on the field also. All they had to do was stop them, and they get the ball back.
It's pretty easy when the Falcons defense was on the field for 51 minutes. ATL looked like Bama vs Clemson.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT