ADVERTISEMENT

New OC options...

dwqwiz

Irish Expert
Jan 29, 2005
Phil Longo NC OC....helped a true Frosh Sam Howell throw for 38 TDs and over 3500 yds. Almost TWO 1000 yd RB's and had two 1000 yd WRs. His past offenses were ranked high or "fastest" in the nation in plays per minute and total plays in a season. Of course, if you want an offense like Wisconsin...then he's not the guy.

https://goheels.com/staff-directory/phil-longo/3091
Read the bio and experience.... interesting.

Phil Longo NC OC....helped a true Frosh Sam Howell throw for 38 TDs and over 3500 yds. Almost TWO 1000 yd RB's and had two 1000 yd WRs. His past offenses were ranked high or "fastest" in the nation in plays per minute and total plays in a season. Of course, if you want an offense like Wisconsin...then he's not the guy.

https://goheels.com/staff-directory/phil-longo/3091
Read the bio and experience.... interesting.
The last Longo was pathetic enough!

If Irish fans are expecting some kind of hire that will scare the pants off of future opponents and create a buzz on all the ESPN college football shows, you might be disappointed. If you all are expecting Harry to fly in on a dragon and save the day, you might be a little disappointed. If you expect Irish ticket holders to hold onto their tickets and not sell to Clemson fans, you might be a little disappointed. If you all are expecting Chris Tyree to come in and be a Heisman front runner , starting with Navy, you better bring expectations down a notch. It is what it is.

Reactions: TheSodFather
If Irish fans are expecting some kind of hire that will scare the pants off of future opponents and create a buzz on all the ESPN college football shows, you might be disappointed. If you all are expecting Harry to fly in on a dragon and save the day, you might be a little disappointed. If you expect Irish ticket holders to hold onto their tickets and not sell to Clemson fans, you might be a little disappointed. If you all are expecting Chris Tyree to come in and be a Heisman front runner , starting with Navy, you better bring expectations down a notch. It is what it is.
Love the off season optimism....

Moorehead is going to want another HC job. Hes not going to come be a rental for a year.
I get that I assume most everyone in the buz wants a HC job. When you get fired at basically .500 under murky circumstances you may be required to step back before you get a HC job.

Reactions: echowaker
You will not see a dramatic change in the Notre Dame offense.

Kelly is not going to bring in anyone with a gunslinger mentality.

ND plays Midwest football:

Establish the line of scrimmage
Get the QB to make plays with his legs
Heavy TE
Screens
Take 3-5 deep shots
Pass 18-30 times (depending on opponent and weather).

Tom will be calling the plays next year. There is no search for an OC.

I think there was more optimism on this board after CW put up his famous 3-9 campaign. Didn't we just put up an 11-2 season? Many ND fans looked for that rain cloud on a sunny day. It wouldn't bother me if ND didn't hire an OC and run next year like the bowl game. The offense looked the best all year against Iowa State. More than a few thought IS would win that game. It will be fun to see how BK fills out his staff.

Reactions: napy2121

Heavy TE
Screens
Take 3-5 deep shots

I’m really not sure how you can speak with such certainty but I’m sure you’ve convinced yourself these are facts. I’d be happy with Tom calling plays next year but that doesn’t mean we couldn’t speculate about options. Regardless of all that I’ve listened to all the beat podcasts and follow all these mods on twitter, and I can say with a fair amount of confidence that there isn’t the same amount of certainty out there on this as you portray. That doesn’t mean I’m saying Tom won’t be the playcaller ftr.

What's available ?

He can sit a year and be fine. Coming off an injured qb that was hurt in a team fight, its probably in his best interest, then be ready for a lesser power 5 job next year. Hes not going to be a rental at ND

Heavy TE
Screens
Take 3-5 deep shots

We are bad at screens... threw limited crossing routes, establishing the LOS on offense... didn't do well in the run game against top competition.

He can sit a year and be fine. Coming off an injured qb that was hurt in a team fight, its probably in his best interest, then be ready for a lesser power 5 job next year. Hes not going to be a rental at ND
Again sitting a year won’t improve his resume or reputation. Not saying he won’t go your route but the issues he has to solve for now are he was fired for losing and some behind the scenes stuff. I’m not sure anyone will take a chance at HC for him without some rehab. Plus most coaches don’t like sitting out a year, it’s mostly pretty rare.

Again sitting a year won’t improve his resume or reputation. Not saying he won’t go your route but the issues he has to solve for now are he was fired for losing and some behind the scenes stuff. I’m not sure anyone will take a chance at HC for him without some rehab. Plus most coaches don’t like sitting out a year, it’s mostly pretty rare.
Lane kiffen would disagree...
So would les miles...

Lane kiffen would disagree...
So would les miles...
Matt Canada too... these are exceptions that prove the rule. Pop your head out and look at the coaching cycle every offseason. The easy conclusion is most coaches get new jobs and only a very small handful take any time off.

Moorehead comes for a year or two to run the offense and mentor Tom Rees. Rebuild his rep and move on to another head coaching job. THEN TR takes over?

Moorehead had the #21 and #7 offenses while at Penn State -- with a QB a lot in the Book mold. Of course he did have SB!

Matt Canada too... these are exceptions that prove the rule. Pop your head out and look at the coaching cycle every offseason. The easy conclusion is most coaches get new jobs and only a very small handful take any time off.
Still. not happening

Love the off season optimism....
It's more like off season reality. All these "names" being thrown around about a new OC. I'm just here to tell Irish fans to bring in the reigns a tad bit. Who ya got my man? Tom Rees or the field? Irish fans will not sell out to Clemson fans? Harry will actually come in as the new OL coach? Instead of a drive by one liner, tell me why there is optimism that a proven name will be the next OC. Tell me why Irish fans will not sell out to Clemson fans. Tell me why Harry has a better than good chance at replacing Quinn. Tell me why Chris Tyree will have the size, strength, and stamina to be a star his rookie season. Tempered or rah rah optimism on a message board will play no role in what actually transpires.

It's more like off season reality. All these "names" being thrown around about a new OC. I'm just here to tell Irish fans to bring in the reigns a tad bit. Who ya got my man? Tom Rees or the field? Irish fans will not sell out to Clemson fans? Harry will actually come in as the new OL coach? Instead of a drive by one liner, tell me why there is optimism that a proven name will be the next OC. Tell me why Irish fans will not sell out to Clemson fans. Tell me why Harry has a better than good chance at replacing Quinn. Tell me why Chris Tyree will have the size, strength, and stamina to be a star his rookie season. Tempered or rah rah optimism on a message board will play no role in what actually transpires.
Wow, that's just sad...

This is exactly what I thought. Some of you guys are great with the one liners but lack the ability to discuss the meat and potatoes behind your one liner comment.

Thanks Ara. For some crazy unexplained reason, I am at peace with Tom as our new OC for all the reasons Eric listed. Whoever it is, as a fan, they will have my support 100%.

HH went back to the NFL to put in the time to draw his pension, I believe he needed around 6-8 years. He's still short so I would think he'd explore NFL jobs before even considering coming back to college. Besides in the bowl game the offensive line played well; it kinda reflects badly on the fired OC. Did Quinn suddenly start coaching better or did the offensive coaches start communicating better. The same thing happened on the defensive side under VanGorder. That might be the toxic situation BK was referring too.

Last edited:
You weren't really holding your breath for this to happen...were you? "You yell barracuda, everybody says huh? what? You yell shark, we've got a panic on our hands on the Fourth of July." Words to live by.

Great movie.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT