ADVERTISEMENT

Need these to be better....this week!

BGI User 348

I've posted how many times?
Aug 29, 2003
Pennsylvania
Safety play and a pass rush! I like how hard Shumate & Max hit....but sheesh we must cover these razzle-dazzle pass plays!!!

We are getting pressure BUT when we blitz we need sacks. Or INT's.

clemson baby....clemson.

As someone who has played on great defenses.........ND really needs to clean up some basics. On umass' 1st TD run BOTH LB's & Farley were out of position/blocked. These trick plays are just not smart FB......and I thought ND players WERE smart. You know clemson & navy will throw to FB's in the flat.......can we anticipate these?

There is some great effort...now let's play smart & be consistent.

BEAT da oranges!!!

Reactions: Bodizephax
Yeah, ND got gashed by the draw play quite a bit early in the game. When BVG stopped stunting the DL and rushed them straight it cleared up the UMASS running issue and effectively shut their run game down.

That first run you speak of...Joe Schmidt play it the way he should. It was a draw attempt but you can see instantly it was a run. He keyed on the fullback which is paramount as an inside backer. Took the full back on at the line of scrimmage. Ok so all good so far.
Jaylon..and everyone knows I love the guy but he is not an inside backer. He is not a head banger and that's no disrespect to him as 98 percent of the other guys don't want to do that either, and on that play he allowed the tight end to engage him 3 yards down field. The key word here is allow. Jaylon on the inside let's those players get on him and that is a big no no. He has to take the play to them at the point if attack. He still refuses to do it right and that is ok.....if they would stop putting him on the inside. I've never seen a ND defender with closing speed like his but an inside backer he is not.

The center on that play delays to see what the TE does with Jaylon, after the engagement happens too far down field the center goes all the way out and blocks our safety. Yes...The center is 15 yards down field blocking our #41 safety. The #22 safety just made the world's worst read and pursuit on it too.
Thankfully teams won't be able to help themselves and will pass more than not because you can EASILY run between our tackles with Jaylon playing inside.

88....agree. Jaylon is a great OUTSIDE backer.......guess BVG expects him to do everything well.
I believe Jaylon was asking to play inside last year. I think it was a little ego thing as everyone who plays, played, on a properly coached defense knows the man's man is the MLB. It's a brutal bell ringing spot every play if played right. All to get off the pile and do it again the next play.
I think it began there with the inside Jaylon thing him asking to move there....There are other candidates to play and would do ok. Martini lacks lateral mobility but he will bang heads. Niles might too be he is a little reckless always looking for the top ten hit.

As I said though the minute men moved the ball at will against us running between the tackles. Thankfully our offense puts up points in a hurry so it forces teams to get away from get me four yards between the tackles.

You are a million percent correct about our safeties. We HAVE to get better there. It's just playing under control really. Less is more at times. Meaning coming up to get a spectacular hit often times leaves you looking silly because you whiffed. Coming up, breaking down, may mean you wind up on your back but you made the tackle. Under control safeties. Please.

The safety play is terrible with respect to coverage. It needs to be fixed .

The Secondary had a pick and an actual pass broken up yesterday. Both plays should be listed in "Great Moments In Notre Dame Football" .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT