ADVERTISEMENT

ND's odds to win the NC for 2017 season

ivan brunetti

Posts Like A Champion
Nov 27, 2003
Better than most at 65/1

ODDS TO WIN 2017 COLLEGE FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME (1/8/18)
Team Odds
Alabama 4/1
Ohio State 13/2
Florida State 15/2
USC 15/2
Oklahoma 9/1
Michigan 14/1
LSU 16/1
Louisville 16/1
Clemson 18/1
Penn State 22/1
Auburn 25/1
Texas 25/1
Georgia 30/1
Washington 35/1
Oklahoma State 45/1
Virginia Tech 45/1
Florida 55/1
Tennessee 55/1
UCLA 55/1
Kansas State 65/1
Notre Dame 65/1
West Virginia 65/1
Miami, Fl. 80/1
Wisconsin 80/1
Oregon 85/1
Stanford 85/1
TCU 85/1
Washington State 85/1
Boise State 100/1
Colorado 100/1
Michigan State 100/1
North Carolina State 100/1
Ole Miss 100/1
Texas A&M 100/1
Nebraska 150/1
Georgia Tech 200/1
BYU 300/1
Baylor 300/1
Duke 300/1
Minnesota 300/1
North Carolina 300/1
Northwestern 300/1
Pittsburgh 300/1
South Carolina 300/1
Arizona 500/1
Boston College 500/1
California 500/1
Houston 500/1
Indiana 500/1
Iowa State 500/1
Kentucky 500/1
Maryland 500/1
Oregon State 500/1
SMU 500/1
Syracuse 500/1
Texas Tech 500/1
Vanderbilt 500/1
Virginia 500/1
Wake Forest 500/1
Central Florida 1000/1
Cincinnati 1000/1
East Carolina 1000/1
Illinois 1000/1
Kansas 1000/1
Louisiana Tech 1000/1
Memphis 1000/1
Navy 1000/1
Purdue 1000/1
Rutgers 1000/1
Temple 1000/1
Tulane 1000/1
Tulsa 1000/1
Western Kentucky 1000/1
Air Force 5000/1
Army 5000/1
Wyoming 5000/1

Hey look ... 6 of the top 7 favorites for the national championship are the best recruited programs in the country. Weird coincidence... :rolleyes:

Reactions: NDskins
If you want to beat bama you have to recruit like bama . That means a top 5 class not every 3 years or 2 but, a top 5 class each and every year. That's how Lou did it.

Reactions: HarlemIrish
If you want to beat bama you have to recruit like bama . That means a top 5 class not every 3 years or 2 but, a top 5 class each and every year. That's how Lou did it.

One of these days, people will realize that ND will never be able to recruit like 'Bama. We will never have the top recruiting class every year and it is unlikely that we will be in the hunt for a NC every year. We can, and should, have top 10 recruiting classes every year and should be able to compete for the NC on a regular basis. ND is a different animal than 'Bama, Ohio State, Clemson, etc. We don't have athletic dorms; we have higher educational standards. ND is not going to change and sell its soul just to win a few NCs in football.

If you want to compare ND to other football programs, compare us to Stanford. There is no reason for them to consistently have better recruiting classes and teams than we do.

One of these days, people will realize that ND will never be able to recruit like 'Bama. We will never have the top recruiting class every year and it is unlikely that we will be in the hunt for a NC every year. We can, and should, have top 10 recruiting classes every year and should be able to compete for the NC on a regular basis. ND is a different animal than 'Bama, Ohio State, Clemson, etc. We don't have athletic dorms; we have higher educational standards. ND is not going to change and sell its soul just to win a few NCs in football.

If you want to compare ND to other football programs, compare us to Stanford. There is no reason for them to consistently have better recruiting classes and teams than we do.

I don't think Stanford regularly has better recruiting classes than ND. Maybe 2-3 times over the past ten years would be my guess. ND has some recruiting ADVANTAGES over some of those schools too. Not all high school players are looking to go the Old Miss route.

Reactions: Bodizephax

I partially agree. I think with the right coaching staff we could recruit a top 10 class every year and a top 5 class every 3-4 years. That coupled with elite coaching could very well lead to another national championship. We will NEVER be Bama. We can't be. We cannot enroll that many knuckleheads to be that talent deep at every position and as backups.

We don't need to be Bama to win a national championship. Notre Dame has every ability to recruit better at sever positions than Bama including QB, OL, TE, K, P, and LB. ND will struggle recruiting comparatively to Bama at skill positions and on defense. They will always have better CB, DL. We have had years with better WR's than them. They will most likely always have better RB, but this is not a certainty.

We could be so elite offensively and solid enough on defense to beat Bama. It would take 4 incredible quarters of football similar to Clemson. That's any team they face. However, this will require better recruiting and coaching for at least 3 years in a row. Expectations should be low for the next three years and beyond unless major recruiting progress is made. We can have as many Washington like years as we want, but plan to get smashed in the playoffs unless these improvements occur.

Remember, it does not take Bama'ish talent to go undefeated with an ND schedule, but it does take Bama'ish talent to win it all.

Last edited:
By the way, 2018 could be shaping up to be a solid enough class to begin the process but would need two more similar classes and some damn good coaching. And a touch of luck. Doable if BK and crew manifest it. I fear he's burned out and is looking for just enough wins to get out of dodge.

I partially agree. I think with the right coaching staff we could recruit a top 10 class every year and a top 5 class every 3-4 years. That coupled with elite coaching could very well lead to another national championship. We will NEVER be Bama. We can't be. We cannot enroll that many knuckleheads to be that talent deep at every position and as backups.

We don't need to be Bama to win a national championship. Notre Dame has every ability to recruit better at sever positions than Bama including QB, OL, TE, K, P, and LB. ND will struggle recruiting comparatively to Bama at skill positions and on defense. They will always have better CB, DL. We have had years with better WR's than them. They will most likely always have better RB, but this is not a certainty.

We could be so elite offensively and solid enough on defense to beat Bama. It would take 4 incredible quarters of football similar to Clemson. That's any team they face. However, this will require better recruiting and coaching for at least 3 years in a row. Expectations should be low for the next three years and beyond unless major recruiting progress is made. We can have as many Washington like years as we want, but plan to get smashed in the playoffs unless these improvements occur.

Remember, it does not take Bama'ish talent to go undefeated with an ND schedule, but it does take Bama'ish talent to win it all.
People talk about a NC here like the past 20 yrs never happened. Talk about denial! ND hasn't won a major bowl game in 25 yrs. How bout walking bf we try to run. Let's win ONE major bowl game first bf we start chirping about overtaking Alabama and top 5 recruiting classes etc. It's not just Alabama. Don't forget OSU, Michigan, OU, FSU, Clemson , USC , LSU and many others besides Bama who are at a different level now than the ND football program. To believe that ND is going to compete consistently with the likes of Alabama and the other football factories is ridiculous. Notre Dame will never again be able to field a 2 deep of 5 and 4 star recruits across the board at every position like a Alabama or Ohio State. A consistent top 10 - 15 team with a major bowl game victory for starters would be a welcome change from where I sit. I'd be more than happy right now to trade places as a program with Stanford or MSU. A realistic goal would be to attain their status as a program first as an interim goal bf talking about what's needed to defeat Alabama.

People talk about a NC here like the past 20 yrs never happened. Talk about denial! ND hasn't won a major bowl game in 25 yrs. How bout walking bf we try to run. Let's win ONE major bowl game first bf we start chirping about overtaking Alabama and top 5 recruiting classes etc. It's not just Alabama. Don't forget OSU, Michigan, OU, FSU, Clemson , USC , LSU and many others besides Bama who are at a different level now than the ND football program. To believe that ND is going to compete consistently with the likes of Alabama and the other football factories is ridiculous. Notre Dame will never again be able to field a 2 deep of 5 and 4 star recruits across the board at every position like a Alabama or Ohio State. A consistent top 10 - 15 team with a major bowl game victory for starters would be a welcome change from where I sit. I'd be more than happy right now to trade places as a program with Stanford or MSU. A realistic goal would be to attain their status as a program first as an interim goal bf talking about what's needed to defeat Alabama.
It is all about the coach. Alabama was in the wilderness from the moment Stallings retired to the moment they hired Saban, about 15 years. We will never recruit like them as long as Saban is there. A program like Texas went 28 years before Mack Brown won the title. LSU? The same team and program that even Brian Kelly beat in a bowl game. Urban has only one title since taking over OSU with all that talent. USC hasn't won anything since Pete Carroll. The common denominator over the last 25 years is poor coaching. Stanford MSU, programs like Tulsa, South Florida, Northwestern, Navy should never out recruit or beat ND. The program has advantages which no coach has maximized but these coaches have maximized the disadvantages you mentioned. ND could be a top perennial 10 team but not with the decision making process of hiring head coaches currently taking place.

It is all about the coach. Alabama was in the wilderness from the moment Stallings retired to the moment they hired Saban, about 15 years. We will never recruit like them as long as Saban is there. A program like Texas went 28 years before Mack Brown won the title. LSU? The same team and program that even Brian Kelly beat in a bowl game. Urban has only one title since taking over OSU with all that talent. USC hasn't won anything since Pete Carroll. The common denominator over the last 25 years is poor coaching. Stanford MSU, programs like Tulsa, South Florida, Northwestern, Navy should never out recruit or beat ND. The program has advantages which no coach has maximized but these coaches have maximized the disadvantages you mentioned. ND could be a top perennial 10 team but not with the decision making process of hiring head coaches currently taking place.
Agree, ND would compete with the best, yes I mean the best, IF they had elite coaching. They have had some real difference makers de-commit of the past several years. So far I like the new additions to the coaching staff, seem like they are all over recruiting. But we still have....ya know. Can he adapt, look past himself????

Agree, ND would compete with the best, yes I mean the best, IF they had elite coaching. They have had some real difference makers de-commit of the past several years. So far I like the new additions to the coaching staff, seem like they are all over recruiting. But we still have....ya know. Can he adapt, look past himself????

Well the only way ND gets an Elite coach Penn is of we find him because as you and I both know a elite established coach isn't coming to ND. No point for them to, the money isn't different anymore every major program has a lot of money.

Perhaps he can. No point in rehashing the negatives but I feel like his ceiling his 8 to 10 wins but he made a lot of changes this offseason so as a lifelong fan I'm going to support the team as always. I would rather us win big with Kelly but a new coach might not be that far away.

So why was Lou able to get consistent top classes. What changed ?

We will never be able to recruit with teams like Alabama. People need to understand that unless you change the admission standards and the course work at Notre Dame (which will never happen) we are not able to recruit over 50% of these top guys.

So why was Lou able to get consistent top classes. What changed ?

Scholarship limits, the kids that ND will get in (face it, ND will not admit a Tony Rice or a Chris Zorich, both Prop 48 kids I believe), and sometimes, I think (my own thought and nothing I read) -- I sometimes get the feeling that the school does not want ND football to be like it was -- in Lou's day -- it was king, at times, bigger than the school.

Reactions: ivan brunetti
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT