ADVERTISEMENT

ND Top 250 Blue Chip Recruit Watch Thread Class-2019

To add to the last post: i realize there's this inherent bias with Notre Dame fans that there's not a lot of difference between players ranked in the top 25/top 50/top 100/top 250 etc. (it's a convenient and bias way for ND fans to look at things given NDs recruiting results during much of the BK era) but each of these cut offs represent a legitimate tier. ND does well with your lower 4 star rated player, where the current powerhouses in college football monopolize much of the top 100 (5 star/high 4 star rated players).

Clemson has not "monopolized on 5*/Top100 prospects" before the last 1-2 recruiting classes...but they've still been a powerhouse

USC has monopolized on 5*/Top100 talent consistently, but ND has been better than them during the BK era

You're claims are just childish and do not speak to reality

Generally speaking, there is a correlation between higher recruiting rankings and overall team talent.

However, this correlation is far from tight, as there are NUMEROUS counter-examples

Furthermore, this correlation says ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about the "tiers" that you've tried to draw bright lines around. There is literally no backing for that.

The reality is, there is very little empirical difference between high-4* prospects, mid-4* prospects, and low-4* prospects. Attempts to draw bright lines in the area are mainly arbitrary.

Clemson has not "monopolized on 5*/Top100 prospects" before the last 1-2 recruiting classes...but they've still been a powerhouse

USC has monopolized on 5*/Top100 talent consistently, but ND has been better than them during the BK era

You're claims are just childish and do not speak to reality

Generally speaking, there is a correlation between higher recruiting rankings and overall team talent.

However, this correlation is far from tight, as there are NUMEROUS counter-examples

Furthermore, this correlation says ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about the "tiers" that you've tried to draw bright lines around. There is literally no backing for that.

The reality is, there is very little empirical difference between high-4* prospects, mid-4* prospects, and low-4* prospects. Attempts to draw bright lines in the area are mainly arbitrary.
There is no correlation between higher recruiting ranking and team talent? Lol

There is no correlation between higher recruiting ranking and team talent? Lol

I literally said the opposite of that.

There is a correlation between higher recruiting rankings and team talent (or more importantly, team performance). However, the correlation is not very tight, as there are numerous counter-examples

However, there is minimal if any correlation to support the claim that among the 4* rankings there are significant impacts in the "tiers" that @chaseball draws (ie. the 100th ranked recruit is significantly better than the 101st or the 250th ranked recruit is significantly better than the 251st)

Those claims by @chaseball are simply wrong, and aren't supported by any significant data

I literally said the opposite of that.

There is a correlation between higher recruiting rankings and team talent (or more importantly, team performance). However, the correlation is not very tight, as there are numerous counter-examples

However, there is minimal if any correlation to support the claim that among the 4* rankings there are significant impacts in the "tiers" that @chaseball draws (ie. the 100th ranked recruit is significantly better than the 101st or the 250th ranked recruit is significantly better than the 251st)

Those claims by @chaseball are simply wrong, and aren't supported by any significant data
Sorry man misread that

This thread should act as a place to post any news/rumors/quotes/scouting reports/updates regarding one of the blue chip recruits listed below.

These are elite nationally ranked recruits (as per 24/7 Sports' Top 247 composite national rankings) with ND offers and legit interest in attending ND. Since all of these athletes are 4 star and above, I will simply be providing their national ranking.

Also, despite their being ~30 targets/names listed here, ND usually ends up with maybe 7-10 of these guys depending on the year when all is said and done. So large majority of these players listed will likely be going elsewhere.

UPDATES:

3/12/18: Moved Quinn Carroll to "probable commit"
3/12/18: Updated national rankings on all players listed
3/12/18: Added WR John Metchie, TE Jude Wolfe, OL Zeke Correll, Julius Buelow, DT Rodas Johnson, LB Osita Okwonu, S Nick Cross, Jalani Williams to "targets"
3/12/18: Removed CB Chris Steele from "targets"
3/02/18: QB Cade McNamara decommits
2/20/18: DT Hunter Spears commits

Committed (2):

DT Jacon Lacey #157, Hunter Spears #247

Probable Commit (1):
OL Quinn Carroll #57

Uncommitted Targets (30):
QB Paul Tyson #221
RB Austin Jones #60, Kenny McIntosh #106, Sampson James #140
WR Garrett Wilson #79, John Metchie #237
TE Hudson Henry #43, Jude Wolfe #239
OL Harry Miller #63, John Olmstead #172, Julius Buelow #174, Zeke Correll #202, Bryan Hudson #211,
DE Zach Harrison #3, Brandon Smith #35, NaNa Osafo-Mensah #111, Bill Norton #129, Joseph Anderson #170
DT Jowon Briggs #76, Mazi Smith #133, Rodas Johnson #201
LB Cade Stover #122, Osita Okwonu #209, Shammond Cooper #246
CB Kenyatta Watson II #222, Wesley Walker #249
S Ronnie Hickman #120, Litchfield Ajavon #119, Nick Cross #183, Jalani Williams #253
Why did you leave out KJ Wallace in committed area?

Assuming that we have another strong season (10+ wins), I'd bet that we get more Top250-ish players than that

It's hard to determine who a Top250 player is, right now, considering how much can change. I'm also not a big fan or drawing some bright-line in the sand and then acting like there is a huge difference between the 250th ranked player and the 251st ranked prospect. That's arbitrary, artificial, and above all else foolish, imo

So that being said, the Top250-ish players that I think we look best for right now, in order of how likely we are to land them (imo):
  1. DT Jacob Lacey (COMMIT)
  2. DT/SDE Hunter Spears (COMMIT)
  3. CB KJ Wallace (COMMIT)
  4. OL Quinn Carroll
  5. OL John Olmstead
  6. S Litchfield Ajavon
  7. RB Chezar Melusi
  8. SDE Joseph Anderson
  9. S Kyle Hamilton --> Very underrated right now, easily Top250
  10. LB Keith Magguire --> Massively underrated right now, easily Top250, probably a Top100 imo
  11. DT Mazi Smith
  12. CB/S Kenyatta Watson
  13. DT Rodas Johnson
  14. CB Wesley Walker
  15. DT Jowon Briggs --> Would be be higher, but I'm not sure he's a take right now....I think he's somewhat overrated
I'd expect to land about 10-12 of those prospects, potentially more
My picks are QB-Duggan RB- Mellusi and Sampson,TE -Wolfe OL-Carrol,Olmstead,Hudson,Correll and Kristofic,WR- K Williams,TJ Sheffield,C Johnson,K -unnamed as yet. DL-Lacey,Spears,Smith ,Osafa-mensah,Anderson,Harrison,lb-Smith,Macguire,Okwunu ,cb-Watson,Wallace,s-Ajavon,Hamilton or Ajavon's teammate Salim Turner-Mohammed. These are just guesses.

Last edited:
seeing CB picks are going to the wolverines now for DT Mazi Smith. our irish were thought of as his leaders at one point early in the year but something seems to have changed since

Reactions: chaseball
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT