ADVERTISEMENT

ND LBs

NDblitz

Fighting Irish Fanatic
Dec 15, 2021
Liufau accepted invite to Senior bowl. So he's gone. I think Kiser goes in the portal. Could see him at Indiana. Bertrand will stay IMO.

Liufau accepted invite to Senior bowl. So he's gone. I think Kiser goes in the portal. Could see him at Indiana. Bertrand will stay IMO.
I hope all 3 go. I actually think the only one that might stay is Kiser

I hope all 3 go. I actually think the only one that might stay is Kiser
I should have put that i could see Kiser stay instead of Bertrand. I think one of them will be back.

Thank God Liufau won't be back, useless! Kind of shocked he received a Senior Bowl invite...

Reactions: die4irish
Thank God Liufau won't be back, useless! Kind of shocked he received a Senior Bowl invite...
Liufau wasn’t used in a traditional sense. He was a disrupter. If you analyze his film and see his assignments, run fits, spreading to field and forcing plays inside to where more defenders would be, he did that kind of stuff and was pretty good at it.

Reactions: NDinNJ
Liufau wasn’t used in a traditional sense. He was a disrupter. If you analyze his film and see his assignments, run fits, spreading to field and forcing plays inside to where more defenders would be, he did that kind of stuff and was pretty good at it.
He wasn't good.

Reactions: mmca
He was awful! Never saw him shed a blocker and make a play!!! If what you say is true, that has to be THE WORST defensive scheme ever conducted for a top tier program!!!!

Reactions: DieHard_Irish
Why would Kiser go into the Portal? He's a starter who would be a captain on the D next year. I really hope he sticks with the Irish. Be nice to experience with all that young talent!

Reactions: Pennick4
Why would Kiser go into the Portal? He's a starter who would be a captain on the D next year. I really hope he sticks with the Irish. Be nice to experience with all that young talent!
Hes a spot starter as we play more nickel and he goes to the sideline. We have young athletic LBs waiting. Sometimes its just time (Zeke, Na Na) Time for a new era

Personally, the only one I’d take back is Bertrand.

Bertrand and Kiser look so slow at times, and I watch about half the games with a few other ND fans who think the same thing. Bertrand is a pretty darn good tackler if he gets to the ball carrier and seems to time his blitzes quite well too.

It’s discouraging they’ve played as long as they have, either our coaches have whiffed on recruits or done a poor job developing them.

Reactions: bizzybecknd
Hes a spot starter as we play more nickel and he goes to the sideline. We have young athletic LBs waiting. Sometimes its just time (Zeke, Na Na) Time for a new era
Agree. Time for a new group.

Bowen, Sneed, Ausberry, Zinter, hopefully Ziegler.

I agree with you on this. Marist seems to be a polarizing figure on this board, but I think many guys here just misunderstand what Marist was asked to do in the context of our defensive scheme. Frequently he would take on blockers in the scrum and redirect the play to where other guys could make the tackle. He has speed, toughness and excellent lateral quickness. Frequently he was the guy blowing up plays, even though he wasn't the guy who made the tackle. Both Freeman and Golden had good things to say about Marist's play. PFF regularly gave Marist high marks for his play, and he ended up as a Butkus Award semi-finalist. So it doesn't surprise me he was given an invite to the Senior Bowl. Marist will play in the NFL.

I agree with you on this. Marist seems to be a polarizing figure on this board, but I think many guys here just misunderstand what Marist was asked to do in the context of our defensive scheme. Frequently he would take on blockers in the scrum and redirect the play to where other guys could make the tackle. He has speed, toughness and excellent lateral quickness. Frequently he was the guy blowing up plays, even though he wasn't the guy who made the tackle. Both Freeman and Golden had good things to say about Marist's play. PFF regularly gave Marist high marks for his play, and he ended up as a Butkus Award semi-finalist. So it doesn't surprise me he was given an invite to the Senior Bowl. Marist will play in the NFL.
Yeah OK. It appeared like he was taking on blockers, however thats because he couldn't shed a block if his life depended on it. Never saw a guy blitz so many times and do absolutely nothing other than getting blocked.

Reactions: mmca and Pennick4
Yeah OK. It appeared like he was taking on blockers, however thats because he couldn't shed a block if his life depended on it. Never saw a guy blitz so many times and do absolutely nothing other than getting blocked.

Apparently the guys at PFF and on the Butkus Award committee saw it differently.

The simpletons on this forum don't understand that.

Reactions: NDblitz
Same with Cain Madden.... that means nothing
You called it with Cain Madden the day he signed here. I remember being excited and hoping you were gonna be wrong. You weren’t.

That OL was awful. The worst ND OL I can remember.

Same with Cain Madden.... that means nothin
Means nothing? Some of the opinions you throw around are way off the mark. Should we conclude you know nothing? An exception doesn't make for a rule. Maybe Madden didn't pan out but PFF gets it right more often than they are wrong. PFF doesn't claim to be infallible.

Means nothing? Some of the opinions you throw around are way off the mark. Should we conclude you know nothing? An exception doesn't make for a rule. Maybe Madden didn't pan out but PFF gets it right more often than they are wrong. PFF doesn't claim to be infallible.
PFF is awful at ranking players. They are very good at collecting data. I dont care if you conclude that I know nothing. Who cares.

To watch Marist play every game and say he deserved to be a Butkus finalist is laughable. He was way better than he was last year but no where near elite

He brings value at the next level because he does have athleticism and can be a main ST player.

Hes a late round guy to undrafted who could make a roster as a ST and specific role

Not a Butkus candidate

Reactions: mmca
PFF is awful at ranking players. They are very good at collecting data. I dont care if you conclude that I know nothing. Who cares.

To watch Marist play every game and say he deserved to be a Butkus finalist is laughable. He was way better than he was last year but no where near elite

He brings value at the next level because he does have athleticism and can be a main ST player.

Hes a late round guy to undrafted who could make a roster as a ST and specific role

Not a Butkus candidate

Post-season CFB awards are often popularity contests. And sometimes the committees who select the nominees get it wrong. Audric Estime was pretty clearly one of the best running backs in CFB this year, but he didn't make the list of finalists for the Doak Walker Award. The DWA selection committee probably got that one wrong.

My problem is that the guys on this board who constantly rip into Marist Liufau don't know what they are talking about, for the most part. He was a very solid player, and his PFF grades and nomination as a Butkus Award finalist corroborate that. You don't think he is elite. That's ok. I would probably agree with that. Did he play well enough to be named a Butkus Award finalist? Probably not. But is his selection "laughable," as you have characterized it? We'll have to disagree on that one.

Reactions: NDblitz
Personally, the only one I’d take back is Bertrand.

Bertrand and Kiser look so slow at times, and I watch about half the games with a few other ND fans who think the same thing. Bertrand is a pretty darn good tackler if he gets to the ball carrier and seems to time his blitzes quite well too.

It’s discouraging they’ve played as long as they have, either our coaches have whiffed on recruits or done a poor job developing them.
I watch every minute of every game (and rewatch some) and Kiser is not slow at all! He's a coach on the field and he sticks his tackles. Why would you not want that kind of experience back? I actually believe Marist could use another year. JD is going to surprise people on Sundays.

I watch every minute of every game (and rewatch some) and Kiser is not slow at all! He's a coach on the field and he sticks his tackles. Why would you not want that kind of experience back? I actually believe Marist could use another year. JD is going to surprise people on Sundays.
Time for a youth movement

Reactions: mmca and Chitown11
So you're saying if we don't have Liufau, Bertrand and Kiser in 2024, we are going to be 4 and 8?

That is a wild statement
We lost 90% of an experienced WR room, and now you're calling for youth movement on the other side of the ball, that's actually been ND's strength and would only get stronger with those three back.

We lost 90% of an experienced WR room, and now you're calling for youth movement on the other side of the ball, that's actually been ND's strength and would only get stronger with those three back.
I disagree. They wouldnt even have the chance of coming back if it wasnt for Covid. This is normal roster movement

So, are you saying we would go 4 and 8 with 3 new LBs?

If Freeman and Golden (2 top LB coaches) cant win more than that with all the young talent we have in the room, they should both be fired Immediately

But they can. The younger guys are more athletic and talented. And our schedule isnt daunting next year

Northern Illinois
Navy
Miami Ohio
Army
Purdue
Stanford
Georgia Tech
Virginia

Our young talented LBs will be more than okay

Sneed, Bowen, Ziegler, Ausberry, Zinter, KVA

We'll be fine

If you attended games this season, there was no question that JD and Kiser were the top LB's. Not even debatable. JD is really good.

Reactions: Pennick4
I disagree. They wouldnt even have the chance of coming back if it wasnt for Covid. This is normal roster movement

So, are you saying we would go 4 and 8 with 3 new LBs?

If Freeman and Golden (2 top LB coaches) cant win more than that with all the young talent we have in the room, they should both be fired Immediately

But they can. The younger guys are more athletic and talented. And our schedule isnt daunting next year

Northern Illinois
Navy
Miami Ohio
Army
Purdue
Stanford
Georgia Tech
Virginia

Our young talented LBs will be more than okay

Sneed, Bowen, Ziegler, Ausberry, Zinter, KVA

We'll be fine
I generally agree here but I actually think GT is going to be a pretty solid team next year, really like their young QB.

Good Lord, ND doesn't need any more Joe Schmitts. Kiser has average speed, making tackles 5-7 yards past the line of scrimmage is not "sticking" tackles. He needs to go

Reactions: BGI User 1596
PFF grades are way over hyped. Many of the graders never even played football. It’s a fkn scam ask any nfl coach

Sorry, you and Golson5 are completely wrong about that. PFF provides analytical data to all 32 NFL teams and more than 150 major college programs.

Sorry, you and Golson5 are completely wrong about that. PFF provides analytical data to all 32 NFL teams and more than 150 major college programs.

They do

But they are poor at rating players

I said they good at collecting data at the beginning

Reactions: mmca and baron100
They do

But they are poor at rating players

I said they good at collecting data at the beginning
I said PFF regularly gave Marist Liufau high grades for his play. Your comment was that "means nothing." You concede that PFF is good at collecing data, but argue it is poor at rating players. I never said anything about PFF rating Marist as a player. My point was that his critics here seem to ignore that he regularly graded high with PFF for how well he played. Later you jumped in to like Baron's post that concluded PFF is a scam, and you can ask any NFL coach about that. I pointed out that is simply not true.

It is ok to admit you were wrong. But I know that won't happen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT