ADVERTISEMENT

ND Interhall Tackle Football To Be Discontinued

What’s next, the Bengal Bouts ?
i don‘t know of another University that had a fully outfitted tackle football program for their resident halls, it was truly unique.

It was indeed a pretty unique program. According to the ESPN article that I linked in my first post in this thread, the only other school that offered a similar tackle football program to its students was West Point.

I remember once telling a Navy shipmate that had graduated from the University of Texas about ND's interhall tackle football program, and his jaw dropped. (If I remember correctly, his exact comment was "Are you shitting me?") Even a football crazy state like Texas didn't offer anything like it.

I've probably spent more time reminiscing over interhall football than I should have, but for those former interhall players who might be interested, some guy actually put together a website, called "The Interhall Football Bible," giving a historical look at interhall football: https://www.interhallfb.com/

Now that is dedication! As the saying goes: "Only at Notre Dame."

Reactions: NDDadx3 and jmND86
Well, if they had done this when my dad was at ND, I guess it would have spared his knee that was permanently mangled playing tackle football at ND. I can't remember, and the family legend goes that he was audaciously trying out for the varsity, which he had no business attempting, and quickly destroyed his knee in the process. But maybe it was just this interhall league where it happened, which sounds like it makes more sense. But isn't it true that anyone was allowed to try out for the team, a la Rudy Ruttegier, at least back in the day?

And what is the virtue in playing full-blown tackle football, and all the attendant injuries and physical destruction, when you could just play touch football and have a great time? Two-hand touch was the main sport we played constantly as kids in the park with our nerf footballs, and it was awesome. Pure joy. But tackle football is a different beast, it requires badass armor and padding and protection, and is way more gladiatorial and shockingly violent whereas touch football is exhilarating and largely as injury free as the next sport,

So just play touch football. It's for the best.

It was indeed a pretty unique program. According to the ESPN article that I linked in my first post in this thread, the only other school that offered a similar tackle football program to its students was West Point.

I remember once telling a Navy shipmate that had graduated from the University of Texas about ND's interhall tackle football program, and his jaw dropped. (If I remember correctly, his exact comment was "Are you shitting me?") Even a football crazy state like Texas didn't offer anything like it.
Navy also offered full-tackle for a long time...

My fond memories of snow football are much better than hs football. You actually have to tackle, not just hit.
Snow football was always a lot of fun. One time we played a game out on the quad at night. A fullback on the football team who lived in our dorm joined in. I'm sure Lou would've been thrilled if he'd known about that LOL.

Reactions: tbonesays
Snow football was always a lot of fun. One time we played a game out on the quad at night. A fullback on the football team who lived in our dorm joined in. I'm sure Lou would've been thrilled if he'd known about that LOL.
We played full tackle snow football on the quad, too. Was a lot of fun unless you were tackled on to the paths, which were shoveled. Was amazed once that I didn't do any serious damage to my knees when I was tackled on to the path and landed on my knees. Hurt like hell but was able to continue after a sitting out for a while. The stupid things you do when you are young.

We played full tackle snow football on the quad, too. Was a lot of fun unless you were tackled on to the paths, which were shoveled. Was amazed once that I didn't do any serious damage to my knees when I was tackled on to the path and landed on my knees. Hurt like hell but was able to continue after a sitting out for a while. The stupid things you do when you are young.
Nothing "stupid..." about it...

Zero.

Duh? Maybe because its against the law?
And why is it against the law? It's a limit on my freedom...

The point is, society limits injurious actions ALL the time, and it's not an infringement on individual rights or freedoms - and I played pee-wee, HS and college football and loved it, so this is not an anti-football stance - but ND has the right and maybe obligation to make sure that the game is safe for ALL participants, and from the Observer article, it's clear that it is not safe for many of the players.

My uncle played interhall tackle football. Said it was his favorite memory attending Notre Dame.

Well, if they had done this when my dad was at ND, I guess it would have spared his knee that was permanently mangled playing tackle football at ND. I can't remember, and the family legend goes that he was audaciously trying out for the varsity, which he had no business attempting, and quickly destroyed his knee in the process. But maybe it was just this interhall league where it happened, which sounds like it makes more sense. But isn't it true that anyone was allowed to try out for the team, a la Rudy Ruttegier, at least back in the day?

And what is the virtue in playing full-blown tackle football, and all the attendant injuries and physical destruction, when you could just play touch football and have a great time? Two-hand touch was the main sport we played constantly as kids in the park with our nerf footballs, and it was awesome. Pure joy. But tackle football is a different beast, it requires badass armor and padding and protection, and is way more gladiatorial and shockingly violent whereas touch football is exhilarating and largely as injury free as the next sport,

Touch football was viewed as a spontaneous but brief diversion, Interhall football at Notre Dame was viewed in an entirely different context.

This was Notre Dame and Interhall football was viewed as almost being an extension of the varsity program. More than a few participants had visions of being called up to the Varsity.

There was a widespread rumor that Bob Williams played interhall football as a freshman and then went on to be the starting QB on the varsity. That rumor fueled and inspired more than a few participants.

In 1960, no one contemplated being injured and no one even knew about brain injuries so there tended to be an almost universal warrior mentality amongst those playing Interhall !

Playing Interhall football, with full gear, with the thought of playing in the stadium was heady stuff, real glory days.

This was Notre Dame

From a practical perspective it wasn’t true that anyone could try out as there was some vetting.

And those who signed up almost universally had experience playing high school football with a fair degree of proficiency.

A good number of participants in the Bengal Bouts had no previous boxing experience.

In the late 50’s “gym” or “PT” was a required high school class, so in general it was a far more athletic generation, far more prone to playing physical sports.

Reactions: mrwigglesby21
In my area the school districts are contemplating the creation of actual HS flag football teams and leagues.

More and more youth are playing flag football until they get to Jr. High and even High school

In my area the school districts are contemplating the creation of actual HS flag football teams and leagues.

More and more youth are playing flag football until they get to Jr. High and even High school
We have 180 boys playing HS Tackle Football at my school. 80 cheerleaders as well. Easily the most popular sport on campus. Nothing else is remotely close.

To answer your question, yes, anyone was allowed to play interhall football. If I recall correctly, there was a limit on the number of players on each team, though I don't remember what that roster number was. The larger dorms had tryouts and player cuts, but in smaller dorms (like the one I lived in) pretty much anyone who wanted to play did. And because ND didn't have fraternities, interhall sports was a great way to develop bonds with your dorm mates.

As for the virtue of playing tackle football, I don't know when your father might have attended ND, but when I was there many of the guys who played hall ball were very accomplished high school football players, with a number of them being former all-conference or even all-state players in high school. They probably could have played and started at some smaller colleges and universities, but ended up at ND because it was their dream school, or maybe they were legacy students. There were many of those attending ND. So if they still had the Jones to play tackle football, interhall football was a perfect outlet for that. It was actually great fun, and one of the fond memories I have about attending ND. When you are 18 or 19 years old you think you are indestructible and don't really give a second thought about getting injured. I didn't, at least. And in those days nobody knew a thing about CTE. When you got your bell rung, you sat out a few plays until the cobwebs cleared and then went back into the game.

We have 180 boys playing HS Tackle Football at my school. 80 cheerleaders as well. Easily the most popular sport on campus. Nothing else is remotely close.
California, Texas, Ohio, most southern states...these all retain strong interest and dedication to football...several programs in Pa. and Mo are discussing moving to the flag version...same is happening back home in Canada

To answer your question, yes, anyone was allowed to play interhall football. If I recall correctly, there was a limit on the number of players on each team, though I don't remember what that roster number was. The larger dorms had tryouts and player cuts, but in smaller dorms (like the one I lived in) pretty much anyone who wanted to play did. And because ND didn't have fraternities, interhall sports was a great way to develop bonds with your dorm mates.

As for the virtue of playing tackle football, I don't know when your father might have attended ND, but when I was there many of the guys who played hall ball were very accomplished high school football players, with a number of them being former all-conference or even all-state players in high school. They probably could have played and started at some smaller colleges and universities, but ended up at ND because it was their dream school, or maybe they were legacy students. There were many of those attending ND. So if they still had the Jones to play tackle football, interhall football was a perfect outlet for that. It was actually great fun, and one of the fond memories I have about attending ND. When you are 18 or 19 years old you think you are indestructible and don't really give a second thought about getting injured. I didn't, at least. And in those days nobody knew a thing about CTE. When you got your bell rung, you sat out a few plays until the cobwebs cleared and then went back into the game.
I guess, I guess back in the romantic heyday of ND maybe tackle football amongst the regular students was the clearly righteous thing to do, given ND's status as sort of the iconic standard bearer of the sport. I don't think that's really ND's place in the pantheon or whatnot any longer.

And I'm not even thinking about CTE. Just regular injuries, like blown-out knees. It's why I never played tackle football in high school. And I was thinking about it. That and actually wearing all the gear is what sucks. I'd have been a WR I suppose, I'm not sure what other position I could have played. I have no instinct for hitting or tackling.....

Anyway, I guess that's the end of this much-loved tradition. 7 on 7, baby!

I guess, I guess back in the romantic heyday of ND maybe tackle football amongst the regular students was the clearly righteous thing to do, given ND's status as sort of the iconic standard bearer of the sport. I don't think that's really ND's place in the pantheon or whatnot any longer.

And I'm not even thinking about CTE. Just regular injuries, like blown-out knees. It's why I never played tackle football in high school. And I was thinking about it. That and actually wearing all the gear is what sucks. I'd have been a WR I suppose, I'm not sure what other position I could have played. I have no instinct for hitting or tackling.....

Twerking championship!

I don’t remember anyone getting hurt in the 4 years I was there when every dorm fielded a team. Honestly Bengal Bouts was much more dangerous. So was the annual snowball fight. One guy tore his ACL playing frisbee on the quad. Stuff happens to 18-21 year olds.

I don’t remember anyone getting hurt in the 4 years I was there when every dorm fielded a team. Honestly Bengal Bouts was much more dangerous. So was the annual snowball fight. One guy tore his ACL playing frisbee on the quad. Stuff happens to 18-21 year olds.
Okay, that's fine. But tackle football absolutely leads to not-infrequent serious injuries, where lesser, milder sports and physical activity don't. That's just indisputable. Whether you're 18 to 21 or not. In any case, it doesn't bother me one way or another. It just reminded me of my dad's lifelong semi-debilitating injury he picked up in college at ND playing some sort of full-contact tackle football, that he really didn't need to be participating in.

Okay, that's fine. But tackle football absolutely leads to not-infrequent serious injuries, where lesser, milder sports and physical activity don't. That's just indisputable. Whether you're 18 to 21 or not. In any case, it doesn't bother me one way or another. It just reminded me of my dad's lifelong semi-debilitating injury he picked up in college at ND playing some sort of full-contact tackle football, that he really didn't need to be participating in.
It just depends how you’re wired and what kinds of activities you enjoy doing.

I couldn’t imagine a life not playing high energy physical contact sports. With that being said, I’m 42, and have already had 2 knee surgeries during 2023. Both sucked.

Everything is risk/reward…..

I think the most dangerous sport, injury-wise, that I played while I was a student at ND was ice hockey, not interhall football. Guys were getting banged up all the time, and more than a few guys lost a tooth or two. I think slap shots were illegal during games, but deflected pucks often caused some carnage when you got hit in the face. I seem to recall helmets were required, but the helmets in those days didn't have face masks. The ice rink at the Athletic & Convocation Center (now the Joyce Center) was open for rental 24 hours a day, I think, or at least it was open past midnight. I remember having late night practices there with my dorm mates after we had consumed a few libations earlier in the evening, and some of the guys were probably way too drunk to have any business playing ice hockey. Ah, the good old days.

Last edited:
Reactions: tbonesays
Contact sports produce injuries.
Injuries were perceived as an acceptable potential consequence.

Your dad played football because he loved everything about it.

Who are you to second guess your dad and to tell him what he needed to do when he was a young man attending Notre Dame

Better to live a day as a lion rather than a week as a lamb !

Last edited:
And why is it against the law? It's a limit on my freedom...

The point is, society limits injurious actions ALL the time, and it's not an infringement on individual rights or freedoms - and I played pee-wee, HS and college football and loved it, so this is not an anti-football stance - but ND has the right and maybe obligation to make sure that the game is safe for ALL participants, and from the Observer article, it's clear that it is not safe for many of the players.
So why is it safe for the varsity?

So why is it safe for the varsity?
It isn't safe for the varsity, that's what makes them gladiators. A special breed, a special caste, and you wouldn't subject the genteel student body of mindlessly ambitious academic strivers to the same harsh physical abuses. Only the football players, who now are rightly getting paid for their exertions, as well as the effin' injuries they sustain on a regular basis, on account of even though they are great athletes, and are all jacked and built and super fit and thus in a good position to absorb the physical violence much better than the average schmuck, are put in the harm's way of a tackle football player....

And the student body can play 7 on 7, which is totally fun, great exercise, and great competition and very engaging and exhilarating and all the rest of it, and then everything will be golden.

To me that's the effed-up part of the sport of football. Not the violence of it on an emotional level or psychological level. Some people complain about that, that you have to be too aggressive in your heart and mind to play it well, which I think is stupid. Those people are just pussies. It's the damage you do to your body. Serious injuries, and even more minor injuries and all the gradual/invisible wear and tear that steadily accumulates. Something like CTE is just the icing on the cake, and shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone.

It isn't safe for the varsity, that's what makes them gladiators. A special breed, a special caste, and you wouldn't subject the genteel student body of mindlessly ambitious academic strivers to the same harsh physical abuses. Only the football players, who now are rightly getting paid for their exertions, as well as the effin' injuries they sustain on a regular basis, on account of even though they are great athletes, and are all jacked and built and super fit and thus in a good position to absorb the physical violence much better than the average schmuck, are put in the harm's way of a tackle football player....

And the student body can play 7 on 7, which is totally fun, great exercise, and great competition and very engaging and exhilarating and all the rest of it, and then everything will be golden.

To me that's the effed-up part of the sport of football. Not the violence of it on an emotional level or psychological level. Some people complain about that, that you have to be too aggressive in your heart and mind to play it well, which I think is stupid. Those people are just pussies. It's the damage you do to your body. Serious injuries, and even more minor injuries and all the gradual/invisible wear and tear that steadily accumulates. Something like CTE is just the icing on the cake, and shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone.
They are big boys, they can decide for themselves.

t isn't safe for the varsity, that's what makes them gladiators. A special breed, a special caste, and you wouldn't subject the genteel student body of mindlessly ambitious academic strivers to the same harsh physical abuses. Only the football players, who now are rightly getting paid for their exertions, as well as the effin' injuries they sustain on a regular basis, on account of even though they are great athletes,
Then why is it safe for the scout team?

There is not much of a safety argument for sports. IF there is no danger or risk it's not a sport, it is a game.

Then why is it safe for the scout team?

There is not much of a safety argument for sports. IF there is no danger or risk it's not a sport, it is a game.
WTF are you talking about???? It isn't safe for anyone! You're obviously trolling. If not, then you have problems. You're talking like a fanatic. No danger or risk then it's not a sport.... You're like a nut, that's what an outright kook would say. And you're supposedly a ND graduate. Is that what ND produces, people who would appear to really think shit like that? Is that what you got out of some philosophy 101 class you had no business being in....

Buddy, we're talking about the students. Just the regular dumbfck students in the year 2023. I don't think anyone much thinks of our current crop of young people as 'big boys'.....
WTF are you talking about???? It isn't safe for anyone! You're obviously trolling. If not, then you have problems. You're talking like a fanatic. No danger or risk then it's not a sport.... You're like a nut, that's what an outright kook would say. And you're supposedly a ND graduate. Is that what ND produces, people who would appear to really think shit like that? Is that what you got out of some philosophy 101 class you had no business being in....
Morphine, please.

“injuries” ?

injuries aren’t confined to tackle football

And injuries aren’t exempt for those playing “touch” or “flag” football and pickup basketball.

Many NFL contracts have a clause prohibiting players from playing basketball.
Think about that.
World class athletes are prohibited from playing recreational basketball !
Why ?

I have a torn Rotator Cuff in my right shoulder and a torn tendon in my right bicep from ………. taking a strong antibiotic to eradicate a serious bacterial infection that two weeks of Amoxicillin and ten days of Macrobid couldn’t eliminate.

”injuries” happen.

Everyone who played InterHall football understood the potential risk of injury with the exception of CTE which was unknown/unheard of in the 50’s and 60’s.

intelligent adult students made the decision to play a sport that they loved in a wonderful setting !

Sound reasonable and good to me. !

Sounds like Candyland
No question the North East has seen a downturn in numbers. I really don’t know the areas of the country. Is Chicago the same as 20 years ago? Also a migration of people have left certain areas for the sun belt

No question the North East has seen a downturn in numbers. I really don’t know the areas of the country. Is Chicago the same as 20 years ago? Also a migration of people have left certain areas for the sun belt
Never lived there. Originally from the "region" - NW IN. Between the crime and high taxes, you couldn't pay me to live in that left wing nut job run of a city.

Reactions: IrishMike409
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT