ADVERTISEMENT

ND hockey still staying alive with 4-2 win at UMass Lowell

Lou Somogyi

Senior Editor
Gold Member
Jun 4, 2004
A three-goal barrage in the third and final period helped Notre Dame rally to a 4-2 win at UMass Lowell and force a deciding game 3 on Sunday at 4 p.m. ED at the River Hawks Tsongas Center ND (18-18-5) is 8-2 all-time in Game 3 situations, most recently against UMass last Sunday (7-0).

UMass Lowell took a 2-1 lead into the third before (with the goal coming from Sam Herr) when junior Mario Lucia's interception and shot on goal was saved but caromed to Anders Bjork, who scored off the rebound at the 4:43 mark. Lucia then put the Irish ahead for good at 10:30 off the power play with a 30-foot slap shot. Peter Schneider added an empty net goal with 7.6 seconds left. Freshman phenom goaltender Cal Petersen was credited with 25 saves, nine of them in the final period.

"If they can come back from a five-overtime game, they can certainly come back from a 5-0 loss," said Irish head coach Jeff Jackson, referring to losing the opener the previous week in the longest college hockey game ever. "...This was the way should have come out last night, with a little more fire in our eyes. I thought we played with more passion. We were better prepared to play against a team that does play with that fire in their eyes. We have to play with the same grit and passion tomorrow night. It's going to be a tough, gritty game. I don't expect Lowell to be happy, so I'm sure they're going to come out with the same level of intensity they came out with last night."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News