ADVERTISEMENT

ND Game Attendees

Toby Smart

All Star
Aug 28, 2002
I was talking to a couple of usher supervisors before the game and they told me that the stadium will be hosting a huge big time concert on two consecutive days in late August and a NHL game on New Years Day. I was wondering if the stadium will be serving beer and other type alcohol at these venues? The usher supervisors inched just short of saying that the ND home games will starting serving beer in the next few years. They mentioned all the money Purdue made at their games. In yous guys humble, educated, and respected opinion, what say you on all of this? Are these usher supervisors dealing in fact or fiction?

Reactions: ndnd
Follow the money - if Jack can make a buck he will do it. Why allow local businesses to make money selling alcohol to people who tailgate when he can put it in NDs pocket. The farce of saying moving the Syracuse game to NJ is "to help recruiting" looks more ridiculous now as ND has loaded up on NJ talent the last few days. It hurts ND student athletes, the fans, and local businesses to move this game away, but if Jack is getting $$$, then it is done.

I was talking to a couple of usher supervisors before the game and they told me that the stadium will be hosting a huge big time concert on two consecutive days in late August and a NHL game on New Years Day. I was wondering if the stadium will be serving beer and other type alcohol at these venues? The usher supervisors inched just short of saying that the ND home games will starting serving beer in the next few years. They mentioned all the money Purdue made at their games. In yous guys humble, educated, and respected opinion, what say you on all of this? Are these usher supervisors dealing in fact or fiction?
More and more college venues sell beer every year.

Weird to think an Usher is in the know on something like that but I don't see why they wouldn't... everyone is loading up in the parking lot beforehand.

Follow the money - if Jack can make a buck he will do it. Why allow local businesses to make money selling alcohol to people who tailgate when he can put it in NDs pocket. The farce of saying moving the Syracuse game to NJ is "to help recruiting" looks more ridiculous now as ND has loaded up on NJ talent the last few days. It hurts ND student athletes, the fans, and local businesses to move this game away, but if Jack is getting $$$, then it is done.
Wouldn't the NJ talent ND is getting make the movement of the game less ridiculous? ND has a good presence in the region, a lot of talent is coming out of the region, why not do what they can to maintain or grow that presence? I understand the flip side of the impact is has to our schedule and the players but don't see how ND's recruiting wins in the region make this worse.

Why would you go and schedule a game in an area where you are doing really well already in recruiting? To help recruiting? Especially when it makes it tougher for you to make a playoff game - play FSU at home, travel east to play Syracuse, then travel all the way back to CA to play USC??? I am surprised Jack did not make the Syracuse game a prime time game so the kids get home from NY at 3 in the morning on Sunday.

Why would you go and schedule a game in an area where you are doing really well already in recruiting? To help recruiting? Especially when it makes it tougher for you to make a playoff game - play FSU at home, travel east to play Syracuse, then travel all the way back to CA to play USC??? I am surprised Jack did not make the Syracuse game a prime time game so the kids get home from NY at 3 in the morning on Sunday.
i think all the hand wringing over the schedule is a bit much. you act like nd travels coach. non issue in my opinion.

Last edited:
The problem I have with Yankee Stadium Shamrock game is they've been there, done that. And against The Cuse? How is that a special game other than bringing out unies from outer space? On a personal note, I'm not crazy about football games in baseball stadiums. I've said this a few times but it needs repeating. I once heard the mayor of South Bend say during a radio interview that a Notre Dame game brings in 10 million to the local economy. By scheduling this Cuse game in NY, you have now taken that much from the local economy. From corporate to the little guy. Gone. It's a big deal to these people. Yes, Jack would have made a ton of money for the university with this Shamrock thing, but the local crowd who might depend on a home game won't see dime one. It's time to retire the Shamrock series, or at least make it every few years with a big time opponent in a big venue. Make it worthy of a special neutral site game.

The problem I have with Yankee Stadium Shamrock game is they've been there, done that. And against The Cuse? How is that a special game other than bringing out unies from outer space? On a personal note, I'm not crazy about football games in baseball stadiums. I've said this a few times but it needs repeating. I once heard the mayor of South Bend say during a radio interview that a Notre Dame game brings in 10 million to the local economy. By scheduling this Cuse game in NY, you have now taken that much from the local economy. From corporate to the little guy. Gone. It's a big deal to these people. Yes, Jack would have made a ton of money for the university with this Shamrock thing, but the local crowd who might depend on a home game won't see dime one. It's time to retire the Shamrock series, or at least make it every few years with a big time opponent in a big venue. Make it worthy of a special neutral site game.
lets be honest nd's favorite color is green. playing in nyc obviously means big dollars from lots of sources. jacks job is to create revenue for nd first and foremost. as cold as it sounds he should not be concerned about how the local economy is impacted. cold, harsh reality.

lets be honest nd's favorite color is green. playing in nyc obviously means big dollars from lots of sources. jacks job is to create revenue for nd first and foremost. as cold as it sounds he should not be concerned about how the local economy is impacted. cold, harsh reality.
Yep. The cold hard fact is you are correct in your assessment..

Why is it NDs job to prop up the local business’s around South Bend? Until 2006 the regular season was shorter now there is additional game and they choose to travel and build the brand which is great long term decision for the University.

Can ND please throw away the Shamrock Series? Wear green jerseys once a year instead!

ND is pulling a lot of talent from the area but you gotta keep the momentum going there. When the schedule was made they probably knew they had targets in the area but there is no way they were going to be positive that they would have 2 4*'s commit before the summer even started. Again I understand the impact the game has on the schedule from a macro level but the NJ success recently only helps justify this game.

ND is pulling a lot of talent from the area but you gotta keep the momentum going there. When the schedule was made they probably knew they had targets in the area but there is no way they were going to be positive that they would have 2 4*'s commit before the summer even started. Again I understand the impact the game has on the schedule from a macro level but the NJ success recently only helps justify this game.
They have committed but not signed.....they will enjoy the short drive to see another game.....I think they should play at home more with Shamrock maybe being an every other year thing...it's not like the crowds are better where they are going.....must have a guarantee dollars wise otherwise it makes no sense to do this every year.

Why is it NDs job to prop up the local business’s around South Bend? Until 2006 the regular season was shorter now there is additional game and they choose to travel and build the brand which is great long term decision for the University.
It's not. But ND and South Bend have a pretty nice cooperative two way relationship, and it behooves both parties to keep it that way. So you help when you can.

Ha..... Lighten up..... Their mascot resembles a fighting (probably drunk) Irish dude....

And as an Irish-American the offensiveness and bigotry the mascot represents is yet another valid reason to seperate myself from the program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT