ADVERTISEMENT

ND can force expansion of playoff teams

I tend to agree but it also sucks that with the current playoff system, ND has to go undefeated to even have a shot to get in. If Michigan and ND both finish with one loss, Michigan is most likely in and ND is not, even though ND beat Michigan. Might even be the case with Stanford too. If this were to happen, those 2 games on ND's regular season schedule would also effectively be moot.
I'm perfectly OK with ND having to go undefeated to get in.

Just as any other D1 school going undefeated and NOT being left out.

I'm perfectly OK with ND having to go undefeated to get in.

Just as any other D1 school going undefeated and NOT being left out.
QUICKLY
  • If Notre Dame runs the table, the ripple effect for the ACC champ and other College Football Playoff hopefuls could be significant. A look at how all 39 bowl matchups might shake out heading into October.
By ERIC SINGLE
October 01, 2018
As you may have heard, Notre Dame is 5–0 and squarely in the playoff conversation as the calendar turns to October, and unlike many of the teams above them, the Fighting Irish don’t see a sharp uptick in the difficulty of their schedule in the coming weeks. Survive Saturday night in Blacksburg, and Notre Dame’s biggest remaining tests could be a road trip to Northwestern and a neutral-site game against Syracuse. Of course, if the Irish are in the top four, another power conference gets squeezed out; this week Clemson’s QB uncertainty and equally soft schedule leave the Tigers on the wrong side of the bubble, but as the arrival at the first playoff rankings on Halloween night approaches, that bubble could shift several times.

Teams lose already and still get in. Keeping it at 4 and only four when most teams have a loss is a problem.

When the topic is who has the better losses then it's time to change that.

Either go back to the way it was and just let them vote on a champ or give them more teams and settle it on the field.

4 is a joke
UCF, TCU, Boise etc will always be shafted. Their best shot is the Polls before any stupid playoff was allowed. Expanding to force them in just gives them more games to play against superior talent rosters (that's cancelled out when they play a schedule more proportional to their recruiting).

So obviously expansion of the four team playoff helps #5 but it further spoils everything else, giving an 8-5 GaTech team the same playoff equity as UCF.

I tend to agree but it also sucks that with the current playoff system, ND has to go undefeated to even have a shot to get in. If Michigan and ND both finish with one loss, Michigan is most likely in and ND is not, even though ND beat Michigan. Might even be the case with Stanford too. If this were to happen, those 2 games on ND's regular season schedule would also effectively be moot.

Could we please mute this argument until 11-1 ND team with a quality win gets actually excluded?

Two games played under entirely different circumstances, not at all comparable. Against Bama, Auburn is playing to win the west, make the SECCG, and have a shot at the playoff. Against UCF, Auburn is playing for nothing (while two teams they beat are in the playoff), and UCF is playing to go undefeated and lay their own claim to the national championship. It was very predictable that Auburn was going to be flat and basically go through the motions in the Peach Bowl.

So then why even play that game? You just pointed out why UCF being left out is even more ridiculous. I was happy for UCF and not an Auburn fan but really that was a boring game and match up. Even ND vs LSU had more prestige. We as fans want the best match ups and that doesn’t mean Georgia vs Bama vs Auburn vs LSU. We’ve already seen that crap. It’s natural for us to want something else. I do agree UCF should not have been left out.

Reactions: 88ND and Kraftwerk
The university presidents have stated the DI football champion must be crowned before the start of the spring semester. I really like the best four teams format myself. I prefer the best four teams by ranking, at the end of the regular season, as selected by the committee.

To never be determined.

I have no idea what would happen.
As in boxing styles make fights.

What we do know is this.
UCF finished unblemished.
UCF beat Auburn.
Auburn trounced Georgia once and beat Bama.

What does that mean...nothing much because I'm not one to connect dots like that.

Having said the above I don't know how you reward a second conference team with a loss that cant make the championship game...and let a team undefeated outside looking in.

Sadly UCF was nothing to the dumb ass committee ...

But you know what...they finished the year off beating one of the committees darling's in Auburn to finish the year perfect.

What's it all mean...

UCF finished the year perfect with a win vs. the SEC school who beat both the SEC representatives in the playoff !

That's something.
means nothing. circumstances are not the same.

Everyone else schedules like that.

Just turn back the clock then and boycott playing in any bowl game...because "Notre Dame doesn't do bowl games"

If they are going to have a playoff then have a real playoff or have nothing.

Which is what they have now. Nothing.
not true at all. they have a very successful system.

true but that is the choice nd has made by remaining independent.

I've said it the last 2 years that ND most likely doesn't get in with one loss because their lack of conference affiliation would work against them .... mostly because the voters are conference affiliated. A lot of backtracking by some on this thread.

This is absolutely stupid. Lets go back to the bcs and vote for two, smh at how clueless you are.

Any P5 undefeated team will get into the Top4. Meaning if you don’t make it’s your own fault.

Why devalue the regular season just to allow more teams a 2nd chance?

The value of each and every regular season game is what makes CFB so great.

Sorry, you’re just wrong.

Reactions: chaseball
Eight would work. Having conference champs getting in automatically is dumb. They should have to meet a certain criteria (i.e. no more than 2 losses, ranked in the top 8) to get in. Going back to the old way would be maddening.

Reactions: Buguit
Eight would work. Having conference champs getting in automatically is dumb. They should have to meet a certain criteria (i.e. no more than 2 losses, ranked in the top 8) to get in. Going back to the old way would be maddening.

But with the clout wielded by the power 5 conferences, that is a virtual certainty.

Reactions: Kraftwerk
What is a virtual certainty? That they would only agree if conference champs get in regardless? Maybe so initially, but how long do you think teams getting in w/ 3 or more losses will last given the uproar & outrage it would generate? It’s a simple, rational and fair way to do it. Automatic bid is granted to conference champs if they have two or less losses and are ranked in the top 8. Clout or no clout, their deal wouldn’t last if undeserving teams are getting in. There’d be too much push back, deservedly so.

Reactions: Buguit
Any P5 undefeated team will get into the Top4. Meaning if you don’t make it’s your own fault.

Why devalue the regular season just to allow more teams a 2nd chance?

The value of each and every regular season game is what makes CFB so great.

Sorry, you’re just wrong.

This guy is on an island … I'll call it Stupid Island …. says things not heard anywhere else …. the only time I've heard anyone say 4 teams is too many …. SMH

Reactions: chitown sot
Not sure ND is forcing anything but 8 makes sense. Every power five conference winner plus three wild cards. Right now anything but an extraordinary ND team has a disadvantage because of the lack to a conference championship game. Adding the three at large teams should assure every deserving ND team gets in.
What if they invited 6 teams instead of 4 or 8? Seeds #1 and #2 are off the first playoff game. Seeds 3, 4, 5, and 6 play each other for the "wild card round" and highest remaining seed plays #1 and lower remaining seed plays #2 and then you have the national championship.

Reactions: francade

Conference champs (P5), Top Ranked Ind, 2 wild cards : 8
Then few have a legit gripe.

But is it necessary? We are pretty sure that the real champ is being determined now.

This guy is on an island … I'll call it Stupid Island …. says things not heard anywhere else …. the only time I've heard anyone say 4 teams is too many …. SMH
Where in Fried's quote did he say 4 is to many? He said any Power 5 team going unbeaten should be in the TOP FOUR!!! Stupid Island, you are the mayor and on this island, an island all by yourself. It's gonna be fun to see you wiggle out of this one. You ain't real smart are ya!

“What if they invited 6 teams instead of 4 or 8? Seeds #1 and #2 are off the first playoff game. Seeds 3, 4, 5, and 6 play each other for the "wild card round" and highest remaining seed plays #1 and lower remaining seed plays #2 and then you have the national championship.”

Not a bad idea. 6 or 8 are good numbers, imo.

“What if they invited 6 teams instead of 4 or 8? Seeds #1 and #2 are off the first playoff game. Seeds 3, 4, 5, and 6 play each other for the "wild card round" and highest remaining seed plays #1 and lower remaining seed plays #2 and then you have the national championship.”

Not a bad idea. 6 or 8 are good numbers, imo.

6 is possibly more controversial than 4. You would have fans squawking about getting ranked 3rd instead of 2nd, as well as 7th instead of 6th.

I think 8 is the most likely next expansion; but it may take as many as ten years.

Where in Fried's quote did he say 4 is to many? He said any Power 5 team going unbeaten should be in the TOP FOUR!!! Stupid Island, you are the mayor and on this island, an island all by yourself. It's gonna be fun to see you wiggle out of this one. You ain't real smart are ya!

Of course including ND, you could have 6 P5 teams going undefeated in a single season. That would make for a crowded top 4.

Of course including ND, you could have 6 P5 teams going undefeated in a single season. That would make for a crowded top 4.
More often than not this works itself out. I have gotten back into following cfb more this fall, right now if i was to bet Alabama would be the only P5 team to run the table.

Reactions: ivan brunetti
I've said it the last 2 years that ND most likely doesn't get in with one loss because their lack of conference affiliation would work against them .... mostly because the voters are conference affiliated. A lot of backtracking by some on this thread.
Maybe. If an 11-1 ND squad had zero QWs and the loss was to another playoff team. But more likely our strength of schedule would place us in.

conference championship games are pretty much first round games now .

They are pseudo-playoff elimination games. However we haven't faced a 12-0 team getting their first loss in the CCG, yet.

They should have played 5 Bowl games on Jan 1st with more or less traditional match-ups. then play for the national title BCS like the next weekend. Only once in a blue moon are their three contenders after the bowls.

Reactions: bkmtnittany1
“6 is possibly more controversial than 4. You would have fans squawking about getting ranked 3rd instead of 2nd, as well as 7th instead of 6th.”

Maybe so. At least there would be two most probably worthy teams added to the mix though. Might be worth it.

Wiggling out? … actually it's real easy since IN THIS THREAD he said "4 is plenty … probably too many" ….

It's funny to see you call someone stupid while your stating the dumbest things ever …. it's only in this thread .... WOW!

Hey Friedy! …. check out your boy! ….. LOL!

Wiggling out? … actually it's real easy since IN THIS THREAD he said "4 is plenty … probably too many" ….

It's funny to see you call someone stupid while your stating the dumbest things ever …. it's only in this thread .... WOW!

Hey Friedy! …. check out your boy! ….. LOL!
Where in the QUOTE did he say 4 is to many....QUOTE dipshit, not thread. Like I said, you ain;t real smart are ya. Now go back and clean up that mess in aisle 3!

Watch Michigan. I'm convinced that if they win the rest of their games & ND loses one game, they will jump in front of ND, with no chance of a rematch in a bowl game.
Watch Michigan? Ok, I will and they’ll get destroyed by OSU. Did you watch Michigan @NW?

Disagree.

4 is plenty. If anything it’s too many.

Any more and regular season losses stop mattering, especially for teams like Alabama, Ohio State, etc.

No expansion, ever.

Where in the QUOTE did he say 4 is to many....QUOTE dipshit, not thread. Like I said, you ain;t real smart are ya. Now go back and clean up that mess in aisle 3!

You are infantile to say the least …. you actually have to be spoon fed … it's in this thread …. dumb and stupid aren't strong enough words for you ….. :eek:

You are infantile to say the least …. you actually have to be spoon fed … it's in this thread …. dumb and stupid aren't strong enough words for you ….. :eek:

The fact that you disagree is about as good of evidence that I'm right as I could ever ask for.

Thank you for your support

Reactions: cavanaugh208
The fact that you disagree is about as good of evidence that I'm right as I could ever ask for.

Thank you for your support
The main point of this thread is to point out that the major conferences will not be happy if ND takes a slot

They can combine to pressure change. Imagine 2 sec teams getting in one Acc and ND. No pac. No Big 10. No Big 12. Etc

That could force change. ND could be the catalyst

The main point of this thread is to point out that the major conferences will not be happy if ND takes a slot

They can combine to pressure change. Imagine 2 sec teams getting in one Acc and ND. No pac. No Big 10. No Big 12. Etc

That could force change. ND could be the catalyst

Contract runs for 6 more years...so not really

And no, 4 is already enough or even too many, so no reason exists that justifies further devaluing the regular season

I love how shrewd/exclusive the national championship/playoff picture in college football is. It's a dog eat dog world only the fittest survive. EVERY SINGLE GAME IS A PLAYOFF GAME in college football.

No other sport provides that kind of make or break tension week to week.

As soon as you expand the amount of teams in, then everybody gets a mulligan for a loss ... (which devalues the regular season) and it doesn't entirely solve the problem either. After you expand so 1 loss teams are in, then the argument becomes expanding it again because some other 1 loss teams are left out .. etc. etc.

I love how shrewd/exclusive the national championship/playoff picture in college football is. It's a dog eat dog world only the fittest survive. EVERY SINGLE GAME IS A PLAYOFF GAME in college football.

No other sport provides that kind of make or break tension week to week.

Wow.

A non-stupid opinion from @chaseball

Anything really is possible in this world in which we live

Since the playoff system began in 2014, there have been 13 playoff teams with 1 regular season loss, and 3 undefeated teams in the playoffs. Every national champion since 2014 has been a team with one regular season loss.

I'm all for going undefeated to get into the playoffs, but the fact is that most teams in the playoffs have a loss. ND has had, what, 2 undefeated regular seasons in the last 30 years?

I don't really like a scenario where a 1-loss ND team would have to watch some other 1-loss team celebrate a natty that ND had no shot at because ND didn't make the tiny playoff field.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT