ADVERTISEMENT

Name some of your disappointments as a ND fan

"The killer at ND are three things in my humble opinion. The price of lodging in South Bend for a game is insane. I understand that the hotels are trying to cash in on game days. Also the quality of the schedule is not the best. Also apathy has come over the fan base. Unreal ND fans selling their tickets to big games. No way an Irish fan sells their 1988 ND/Miami ticket. These days fans sell their tickets to Clemson or Oklahoma couple years ago."

Oh the barrage of red from Lincoln ...

Utterly absurd

Reactions: Kelso86
For me 3 stand out

1974. SC 55 - ND 24. Up 24-0 late in the 2nd quarter. It was unreal how quickly it went south

1985 Miami 58 - ND 7. Total beating by the Canes. Humiliating doesn’t even describe how bad it was. Consequently both of these games were played on November 30

1993 BC 41 - ND 39. After a furious fourth quarter comeback by the Irish to take the lead. A dropped interception by Bolcar to end the game. BC drives a stake through the heart for a game winning FG ending NDs national title hopes. A cloud of darkness rolled into south bend that fateful evening and hasn’t left.
"For me 3 stand out

1974. SC 55 - ND 24. Up 24-0 late in the 2nd quarter. It was unreal how quickly it went south

1985 Miami 58 - ND 7. Total beating by the Canes. Humiliating doesn’t even describe how bad it was. Consequently both of these games were played on November 30

1993 BC 41 - ND 39. After a furious fourth quarter comeback by the Irish to take the lead. A dropped interception by Bolcar to end the game. BC drives a stake through the heart for a game winning FG ending NDs national title hopes. A cloud of darkness rolled into south bend that fateful evening and hasn’t left."

That wasnt Ned Bolcar

1. 3rd and 43
Bonus points if you know that reference
2. The last 26 years
3. The last 12 years
4. The 3 yard curl and sit route
5. Embarrassing preparation
I think anyone born before about 1980 should remember that 3rd and 43 play. I just can't remember if it was on Miami's first or second possession of the second half and whether it was the drive that used up more than half the 3rd quarter.

Last edited:
  • Angry
"For me 3 stand out

1993 BC 41 - ND 39. After a furious fourth quarter comeback by the Irish to take the lead. A dropped interception by Bolcar to end the game. BC drives a stake through the heart for a game winning FG ending NDs national title hopes. A cloud of darkness rolled into south bend that fateful evening and hasn’t left."

That wasnt Ned Bolcar
88 I stand corrected. It was Pete Bercich. My bad. I always confuse the two. Sorry Ned

Reactions: 88ND and Kelso86
Irishjohn I think it was 1981 Sugar bowl. ND outplayed Georgia. I believe they had 4 turnovers including an unforced fumbled punt. The ND defense was outstanding that year. That was a disappointing loss for sure .
Did we even make a first down in that game? We sure didn't make a US Senator.

• Haha
Reactions: HRC08
.....do you want some price controls, Comrade Beer?....
Quite the opposite. Reagan era fiscal and monetary policy is my thought. Raise the interest rates substantially to like 20%. Stop spending money on social programs. Beef up the military and cut taxes on corporations. Worked for 14% inflation. Why not 9%.

I think you had me pegged as the wrong guy, pal.

this is a spiritual war going on, not a financial war nor a military war; the objective of one side is destruction.

Every team has disappointments. I still think of the pass Rojo dropped when the ND defender fell down. But if you look at ND you have to think of this; name any team in CFB that could be as successful as ND out of a conference. Maybe there are three to five. Nd can't coast financially during the down years like teams that draft behind Ohio State and Alabama.

I hope ND joins the BIG because I sadly believe that unless it does, we will eventually lose the SC/ND yearly game. But ND is one of a very, very few schools that has enough clout not to be forced to join a conference. I guess this is a bit OT but when I see a post saying the last 26 years are disappointing it just doesn't fit for me.

Biggest disappointment had to be that 2005 bush push loss to USC. there can be no other answer. ND was seconds away from beating one of the most dominant programs i've ever witnessed at the height of their peak.

Biggest disappointment had to be that 2005 bush push loss to USC. there can be no other answer. ND was seconds away from beating one of the most dominant programs i've ever witnessed at the height of their peak.
You must have started watch ND football in 2005.

I am generally disappointed that I wasn't around in the 1960s-70s for the '2nd golden age' or silver age? of college football when 'legends' like Bear Bryant, Paterno, Sherill, Holtz, Royal, Osborne, Switzer, Holtz, McKay, Duffy, Ara were walking the sidelines. This is not so of this age because the playoff, an entire generation knows maybe 4 great coaches. But, I may not have been able to stomach the end of the even numbered years. Did we not go about 20 years without a win @ SC?

Reactions: d1042
I am generally disappointed that I wasn't around in the 1960s-70s for the '2nd golden age' or silver age? of college football when 'legends' like Bear Bryant, Paterno, Sherill, Holtz, Royal, Osborne, Switzer, Holtz, McKay, Duffy, Ara were walking the sidelines. This is not so of this age because the playoff, an entire generation knows maybe 4 great coaches. But, I may not have been able to stomach the end of the even numbered years. Did we not go about 20 years without a win @ SC?
Yup. From '66 to '86 between wins, with one tie, a handful of close games that many ND fans would say were influenced by the refs, and several beatdowns.

Reactions: tbonesays
That Jack Swarbrick won’t step down as AD. It’s been 15 years and it’s time for him to move on.

A couple of mine
1- Golson, Stephenson and to a very small extent Floyd for letting off field issues derail a promising ND career
2- losing Out on players who wanted to come to ND. Like That great receiver from w Virginia who went to Marshall. Brain fart.
3- terrible call in 2015 vs fsu.
4- rocket losing heisman
5- BC 93 and bs title to fsu
6- not playing deep on Adrian jerrell SC 2005
Brandon Hillman.

Nothing tops the Michigan-2011 loss for me.
Goodness I’d forgotten about this. The South Florida turnover fest and then this games debacle of a 4th quarter was, for me, the worse two game stretch from an Irish team that was favored to make a huge stride forward that season. Sweet uniforms though.

Mine are:

- The Colorado football game - Rocket ran for a TD on the kickoff and a phantom penalty was called
- The Notre Dame basketball team losing in the elite to Kentucky
- The Clemson Football game (Monsoon) that we lost due to a penalty being called on a so-called pick play in the endzone
- The first football game that we lost to Navy
- This season's Marshall and Standford loses
- 1993 loss to Boston College (Missed out on another Natty)
- 1970 loss to Southern Cal (31 - 28)
- Loss to Southern Cal (Anthony Davis)
- Any loss to Michigan
Rocket’s was on a punt return.

You are right it was a punt return - still hurts!!!!
It would have been another nice major bowl for St Lou. But we were not live for the national title in 1990.

The disappointments in those years came against Tennessee, Stanford, and BC. Lou would have a share of 4 more titles if the schedule was rounded out with Chattanooga State, Long Beach State and UConn

I remember that punt return. Setting in a bar with my college roommate on New Years night and when Rocket broke open we went nuts. Then if all came crashing down to earth.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT