ADVERTISEMENT

Football Mike Elston On The 'Come To Jesus' Moment With Jordan Botelho

Lou Somogyi

Senior Editor
Gold Member
Jun 4, 2004
As many of you know, the Hawaiian vyper end was an early entrant in 2020, but a wild demeanor and disregard for standards of conduct expected in the program resulted in Brian Kelly sending hm home to give him some time to contemplate on bad choices he was making. Mike Elston provided some insight in his meeting this Thursday with media members.

“Jordan had a long way to go in maturity and accountability," Elston said. The best thing for him was he was sent home. He realized that we’re here about a holistic development. This isn’t about just you getting sacks on Saturday, which he’s going to be able to do because he’s a very talented player — but not to compromise the rest of our group and Coach Kelly’s culture inside the program.

“So we sent him home, it was a reality check, he came back and had a few bumps in the road. And then he and I had a really good heart to heart, and I shared a personal story with him, and honestly from that moment forward Jordan has just turned the corner.

"He’s not on any lists of bad decisions, he’s taking care of his business off the field, in schoolwork. He’s not a finished product yet but he is definitely … the maturity is showing through. I’m super proud of him and love him for it. The connection we have, because we’ve gone through the trials and tribulations together, and more to come, but he’s a very special young man and he’s made a lot of growth and I’m excited for him.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News