ADVERTISEMENT

Micah Bell - Transfer Portal

I'm not sure this one was a surprise. He's super fast but we aren't really using him for more than depth. He starts somewhere (wr, nickel, kr, pr,,) 80% of places he goes based on speed and talent alone

Wish him the best.

Reactions: Kelso86
Was he projected to replace Morrison next season? Just trying to gauge how big of a lose this is.

Huge loss for the young man. He will not be earning a ND degree or playing on what should be a great team. He would have been in line to start in 2025 but would get meaningful minutes in 2024.

That what I was thinking because a couple of the podcasts mentioned his play on Saturday.

Reactions: NotreDomer1
I'm not sure this one was a surprise. He's super fast but we aren't really using him for more than depth. He starts somewhere (wr, nickel, kr, pr,,) 80% of places he goes based on speed and talent alone

Wish him the best.
He would be the leading candidate to start at nickel next year if he stuck around.

My guess is he was homesick. Doesnt make sense

He would be the leading candidate to start at nickel next year if he stuck around.

My guess is he was homesick. Doesnt make sense
My understanding is this was known as a possibility. The fact that they brought in another nickel this year and have ausberry playing a kind of hybrid nickel role had to weigh on him.

They wanted him to stay but again not a surprise.

Last edited:
There are bigger names being recruited to stay apparently as well. Big culture shift going on this spring and best players are going to play.
"...best players are going to play..." Thanks.

Reactions: HRC08
My understanding is this was known as a possibility. The fact that they brought in another nickel this year and have kva playing a kind of hybrid nickel role had to weigh on him.

I don’t believe KVA is playing a hybrid nickel role nor do I think KVA has any effect on Bell leaving.

My understanding is this was known as a possibility. The fact that they brought in another nickel this year and have kva playing a kind of hybrid nickel role had to weigh on him.

The guy they are bringing in only has 1 year of eligibility so that wouldn't affect next year. Ausberry is the hybrid

But Bell came in as a raw player. It wasnt like he should have been expecting to start by year 2.

He would have been in a great spot next year. I think he made a mistake

No way is that going to happen nor should it.
Why not? I guess if they are being paid and sign a contract I don't see a problem with it. This is not like my daughter playing College soccer for free and being held against her will...this often times is straight up cash decisions.

No way is that going to happen nor should it.
I’m aware of your position, you want the players to benefit at the expense of the game?

Whereas I see the game as being far more important than the individual players.

It should happen, but I would agree with you that it’s doubtful

People and especially institutions have a difficult time admitting when they’ve made a flawed decision

I’m aware of your position, you want the players to benefit at the expense of the game?

Whereas I see the game as being far more important than the individual players.

It should happen, but I would agree with you that it’s doubtful

People and especially institutions have a difficult time admitting when they’ve made a flawed decision
I agree with you; however, it will never happen.

Specific transfers not very fully predictable, but have to happen with scholarship numbers. Unfortunate circumstance with taking transfers over the limit.

Last I heard, ND was at 87 scholarship players.
Need to be at 85 by August, so there will be a few more defections.
My guess is 3-4 more and then build back up to 85.

Wish him the best.

Was almost penciled in as a starter next year IMO. This one hurts. Tons of potential

Reactions: THUNDERSTRUCK111
I don’t see this as a big loss. Bell arrived with great speed, but very raw skill set as I understand it. I Haven’t read anywhere suggesting he was likely to replace Morrison next year, or even play at corner. I believe he has been competing for nickel, and Ausberry is proving too good to keep off the field, and he’s grabbing any extra nickel opportunities this year. Hope we get the kid from Rice because we really need some depth at corner. Another guy who looks too good to keep off the field after this season is Tulich, and not sure if he’s pure safety along with Shuler, or whether he will also play in nickel and dime formations. Just didn’t see an obvious path for Bell. Freeman said they would have honest candid conversations with their players, and this would lead to some guys opting for the portal. I wish him success wherever he lands.

Reactions: mirer03
I don’t see this as a big loss. Bell arrived with great speed, but very raw skill set as I understand it. I Haven’t read anywhere suggesting he was likely to replace Morrison next year, or even play at corner. I believe he has been competing for nickel, and Ausberry is proving too good to keep off the field, and he’s grabbing any extra nickel opportunities this year. Hope we get the kid from Rice because we really need some depth at corner. Another guy who looks too good to keep off the field after this season is Tulich, and not sure if he’s pure safety along with Shuler, or whether he will also play in nickel and dime formations. Just didn’t see an obvious path for Bell. Freeman said they would have honest candid conversations with their players, and this would lead to some guys opting for the portal. I wish him success wherever he lands.
His path was very obvious. Be the starting nickel next year. It was clear as day

His path was very obvious. Be the starting nickel next year. It was clear as day
No it wasn't. Multiple podcast even confirming today he was not passing guys up and was far away from starting.

This. It's clear golden wants more range and to get the most out of his guys... Ausberry (not kva, my mistake) cross training makes his path to playing very unclear.

No it wasn't. Multiple podcast even confirming today he was not passing guys up and was far away from starting.

They’re wrong IMO. I thought Bell played very well considering. He’s young. The talent is there. This is a loss

Next year he was going to be the leading candidate to start at nickel. It was very clear his path
No he wasn't.

It's being reported everywhere except your opinion.

It's easy to say oh look at roster obviously that's his spot ..

But wait ..why is ausberry playing nickel...

It's clear his role was discussed and not as clear as you want to make it. He's 5-10 more like 5-9 and super fast. That's NOT the ideal size they are looking for at that spot. It wasn't working the way you are positioning it.

No he wasn't.

It's being reported everywhere except your opinion.

It's easy to say oh look at roster obviously that's his spot ..

But wait ..why is ausberry playing nickel...

It's clear his role was discussed and not as clear as you want to make it. He's 5-10 more like 5-9 and super fast. That's NOT the ideal size they are looking for at that spot. It wasn't working the way you are positioning it.
It's not being reported everywhere. If it is, they are spinning it from things they said just 2 days ago

Gray and Mickey are the starters next year. Tucker if he comes back is an outside corner. Our 2 freshman are outside corners. We have no corners that are slot guys

Ausberry is playing there because he can play that position against tight ends, running backs and some slower wrs.

If we are going up against an electric slot guy, which there are a lot of, he will not be there. He has a role but is not a full time spot.

Ausberry is not going to be covering 4.3 and 4.4 guys this year, next year or ever. We need an actual corner next year and Ausberry can fill a role but he's not going to start and cover wrs running 4.4

That spot was Bells. He came in raw and needs some time so it was expected he was going to be there next year

Exactly what the portal does, typical modern day athelete. " I'm not gonna start, so I'm outta here" God forbid I have to compete. This is what portal teaches kids. Well good luck to you, I hope the grass is actually greener for you

Reactions: Pennick4
Huge loss for the young man. He will not be earning a ND degree or playing on what should be a great team. He would have been in line to start in 2025 but would get meaningful minutes in 2024.
He may not be getting an ND degree, but, he is making a choice that he feels is best for him. I think many people here have been in similar positions.

Wish him good luck and send him on his way.

Reactions: 1Redrum
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT