ADVERTISEMENT

Men’s Basketball Recruiting 2020

Xray93

I've posted how many times?
Gold Member
Jan 11, 2010
With everyone freaking out about lack of recruits in this class I think it’s important to put things into perspective. Last years class was a consensus top 15 class with 4 4 star recruits and 1 3 star recruit. Did we land a recruit in this class? No but as far as I’m concerned Carmody and Doherty will be apart of this class so when you look at it like that it’s not a huge deal ND missed out. Plus when you look at the 2020 recruits you can see why it makes more sense to save scholarships for this class. The reason being is that there is a lot of talent that is very interested in playing at ND and have direct connections to ND, that I think this class could top the 2018 class.

With 3 scholarships open this year and 3 more opening up next year and so many 2020 recruits to go after I think the way ND is looking at the transfer portal is this:
1. Justin Pierce as a grad transfer. If not there isnt another realistic grad transfer so they may just eat the scholarship this year if they dont land him. If they do this scholarship will be available again next year.
2. Hasuer brothers - obviously not realistic at this point but if they want to take two scholarships I think ND would be willing to use them on them.
3. One of the freshman PGs - Whether it be Cole, Bynum, or Norris. I dont think they take two unless they missout on Justin Pierce even then itd probably only be if someone like Cole wanted in as well.

Most likely scenario IMO:
We just land one of the pgs I'll say Norris since hed probably committ if offered.

That leaves 5 scholarships open, even if pierce came. So lets look at realistic 2020 recruits:
1. Hunter Dickinson - obviously a prime target in that class. From Dematha and has size Brey has never had at ND. Visited alot already and seems like Purdue is the main competition for his services. IMO he is a must land for Brey.

2. Jaden Ivey - Son of two Irish alumni and most notably Niele Ivey. From South Bend. Plays at same high school as Demetrius Jackson and broke his scoring record. Gets comparisons to Jerian Grant. Tall athletic combo guard that needs some development at the point. Knows everyone at ND from players to the coaches. Works out in the gym thanks to his Mom. If he decides based on comfortablilty the Irish should land him. Main competition is Purdue. I expect him to blow up over this summer on the AAU circuit. Another must land prospect. We cannot let home grown talent go to Purdue and his athleticism is a major need for ND.

3. Terrance Williams - SF/PF - 6-6 and very stocky. Has low center of gravity with his thickness that allows him to rebound well and has a beutiful shooting touch that can stretch an offense. Has a great inside game as well and has a touch downlow similar to Bonzie. Plays at Gonzaga Prep and is close friends with Prentiss Hubb. Is in prime Brey recruiting area. Would be a wonderful addition to our class. It could allow someone like Laz to move to the 3 but he is capable of playing the 3 himself. Not the same type of player as Bonzie as he doesnt have the wingspan but his skill set is similar in that he can play the 3-5 in our offense. Given the connections he should be high on our list and we should stand a good chance at going after him. His current top offers are Virginia and Stanford so he would be a great fit.

4. Justice Ajogbor - He is a very raw recruit. Plays in Charlotte NC for Christ. From Nigeria and still learning the game. 4 star top 100 center 6-9 220 pounds and extremely athletic. Watched some of his tape and he is still getting comfortable using his moves but he seems to have a soft stroke and developing inside game. ND hasnt offered yet but reportedly ND is his dream school. Reminds me alot of a more athletic less polished Zach Auguste.

5. Ben Carlson- 6-9 PF that is alot like Nate Laz but more athletic. ND hasnt offered yet but he has visited already and has strong interest in the Irish. Stanford is going hard after him but Purdue, Iowa St, and Xavier are involved as well.

6. Trey Galloway - From Culver. From Culver in indianna. Is an all around player similar to Steve Vasturia. Slightly smaller but more athletic and he is more of a PG/SG whereas Vasturia was more of a SG/SF. Very good feet, athletic, and plays solid defense.

Other recruits to keep an eye on:
DJ Steward 4 Star PG - From Chicago
Myles Stute 4 Star SF - From Gonzaga Prep with Williams and Hubb
Bryce Thompson 4 Star SG

As you can see there are alot of great recruits ND can go after and it doesnt make sense to waste scholarships this year just to fill scholarships. I can see them using all 5 scholarships on this class. Land Ivey and Ajogbor and we get huge upgrades in athleticism. They may be raw but redshirt them for a year and they will be key pieces in NDs future success and it keeps scholarships from being concentrated in the 2020 class. They sound like our most likely commits. Hunter Dickinson gives ND size they’ve never had. Obviously we got to beat out Purdue but he is a very realistic target and one that could significantly elevate the program. Terrance Williams, Trey Galloway, and Ben Carlson would be my next 3 most likely for ND to land. Additionally something may come of the other 3 I listed.

Therefore I can see why the staff may not have gone after people in the 2019 class that hard nor handing out offers to every transfer interested in ND. To me it makes a lot of sense to save scholarships for the 2020 class with so much talent and 3 scholarships in the 2018 class and 2 (3 if we land a pg transfer) in the 2019. Then if we land 5 in 2020 red shirt 2 of them and we split the classes up again.

I know it’s easy to be bleak after the past two seasons and not landing a recruit in the 2019 class but the 2020 class is loaded with talented people with ND connections and the 2018 class was a top 15 class with 5 recruits. Also let’s not forget we had no idea players like Harvey and Burns were going to transfer so the staff was most likely looking at this year to only use 1-2 scholarships which they were trying to land a big time recruit with.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News