ADVERTISEMENT

Lyght And Joseph Go In-Home With Derrik Allen

Bryan Driskell

Football Analyst
Apr 19, 2015
Granger, IN
Notre Dame cornerbacks coach Todd Lyght and safeties coach Terry Joseph went on the road together this week, making several stops to see some of the top 2018 and 2019 defensive backs on the board. The pair finished up the week - and the 2018 recruiting cycle - by doing an in-home with signee Derrik Allen.

Allen had never met Joseph, who was just recently hired as the safeties coach. Getting a chance to get to know his future position coach was obviously something that would have made Allen feel even better about his signature with Notre Dame. Joseph presented his coaching style to Allen, and talked about how he would emphasize fundamentals and technique, and said he wants players reacting and not thinking.

According to a source I spoke with, Allen and Joseph hit it off immediately. Joseph emphasized they see Allen as an impact safety, squashing any concerns about possibly moving to Rover or Linebacker, which Allen is very much against. Joseph noted that since he doesn't know any of the safeties the job is completely open and the best players will play, whether they be seniors or freshmen.

The source I spoke with also noted that Lyght and Joseph seemed to really click and didn't come across as two guys who just recently met for the first time. Talked to me about the chemistry they already show, which is obviously important since they will be working together on the field and on the recruiting trail.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News