ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Lucky Charms: Updates On Dontae Manning And Other DB Targets

MikeSinger

Recruiting Insider
Staff
Mar 7, 2013
I'm filling in again for EJ. Here are tonight's Charms..

*** Big news came out yesterday that Raytown (Mo.) cornerback Dontae Manning decommitted from Oklahoma, and our own Bryan Driskell reported that Notre Dame was "definitely interested" in Manning and has been trying to get him on campus for an official visit. Rivals.com analyst Josh Helmholt reported here that Manning is looking to take an official visit to Notre Dame for the USC game in October and is talking with Jordan Johnson about the Fighting Irish.

*** I checked in with a couple of sources on Manning tonight. One told me that Manning's reason for decommitting from Oklahoma was basically to keep his recruitment more open. Manning committed to Oklahoma in the spring but never shut down his recruitment, so this allowed him to fully open things up again to all schools. Manning already had taken an official visit to Texas A&M, so it's been clear that his commitment to the Sooners was soft.

*** Don't expect Manning to be a lock to Notre Dame or anything like that. Texas A&M may be the team to beat here and Oklahoma, I'm told, still would like to land him, which also shows that there's no bad blood between he and the Sooners. One thing in Notre Dame's favor here is that he's already taken his official visits to OU and Texas A&M. I can also confirm what Driskell said yesterday in terms of the Irish having strong interest in Manning.

*** When mentioning DB targets left on the board, four-star Highland Springs (Va.) safety Malcolm Greene is a name we discuss. I've heard from those close to Greene that he's still interested in Notre Dame, and I'm told on the ND side that they still are interested as well. Recruits commit earlier than ever these days with spring and summer official visits, but Greene is really taking his time with the process and there hasn't been much movement here outside of him taking unofficial visits to Michigan and North Carolina in June. Look for Greene to visit for a game this fall.

*** Bakersfield (Calif.) Liberty defensive back Ramon Henderson is still an option for the staff as well. The latest I'm hearing is that Henderson is discussing a fall official visit with the coaching staff but has not locked in a date yet. Notre Dame offered Henderson on May 24 and there's starting to be some more movement in his recruitment with the Irish.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News