ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Lucky Charms: Update On Notre Dame's Pursuit Of A Five-Star Linebacker

MikeSinger

Recruiting Insider
Staff
Mar 7, 2013
Here are tonight's Lucky Charms...

*** Once Notre Dame announced that it had hired Marcus Freeman as its defensive coordinator, we quickly pointed out that Kettering (Ohio) Archbishop Alter class of 2022 linebacker and Ohio State commit CJ Hicks would be someone to keep on the radar. That was educated speculation on my part. I've been asking various sources on the chances the Irish can flip the five-star linebacker who ranks as the nation's No. 10 overall prospect, and what I'm told is that the chances right now are low. The key word from that sentence is "right now." Freeman has been in contact with him; he was while at Cincinnati and is now that he's at notre Dame.

*** If Notre Dame is to flip Hicks from the Buckeyes, it will have to play the long game. Flipping Hicks from Ohio State would have been like flipping Blake Fisher from the Irish in the 2021 cycle. Hicks has been out in front as a lead recruiter for Ohio State's incredible 2022 class. The Hicks-Fisher comparison is interesting; Fisher had a really strong relationship with Purdue's offensive line coach and they kept in touch throughout Fisher's year and a half as a Notre Dame commit. It was going to be brutually tough for Purdue to pull off the flip from Notre Dame, but could the Irish pull off a flip from Ohio State for Hicks? Freeman has a strong relationship with Hicks similar to Fisher's connection with the Purdue coach. If Notre Dame plays the long game here and something happens at Ohio State where Hicks wants to open things up, you better believe the Irish would be his first look. But again, in the meantime, Hicks is locked in with Ohio State.

*** Notre Dame offered Houston (Texas) The Woodlands linebacker Martrell Harris today. Freeman had been in good contact with the four-star prospect for a week or so and pulled the trigger on an offer today. I believe they were on a video chat today and should be getting on another one tomorrow with Harris' family. Notre Dame joins the likes of Arizona State, Baylor, Oklahoma, Texas and Texas A&M on Harris' offer sheet.

*** Notre Dame offered Philadelphia Imhotep Institute Charter School class of 2022 defensive end Enai White several months ago, but the Irish haven't made any progress here. This will probably be the last time I report on him unless Mike Elston/Freeman make a shocking run at him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News