ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Lucky Charms: Tidbits On Irish Targets Rocco Spindler, Jayden Thomas, More

MikeSinger

Recruiting Insider
Staff
Mar 7, 2013
Here are tonight's Lucky Charms...

*** I spent some time with Atlanta (Ga.) Pace Academy wide receiver Jayden Thomas yesterday, and will have more on our conversation in a future article. The Irish are in his top five along with Arkansas, Georgia, Michigan and Penn State. Thomas told me that he had a really nice text exchange with Irish receivers coach Del Alexander on Monday, and he added that their relationship is one of the biggest reasons ND made his top group. Look for the ND baseball staff to be in contact with Thomas soon, and from there, the Irish could run away with this recruitment.

*** As I'm sure you all know, major Notre Dame OL target Rocco Spindler is set to announce his commitment August 8, and it's expected to be Michigan or Notre Dame. A couple people I've spoken with recently feel that Spindler may not actually inform the coaches of his decision until he steps to the podium to announce his decision. Now granted, I don't think that will actually be the case and I think he'll let the coaches know before time, but it might be a day or two before. This probably doesn't sound like a big deal to Irish fans reading this, but it is to the coaches who will be working on him until the final hours and waiting on pins and needles for his decision.

*** Notre Dame offered Chesapeake (Va.) Oscar Smith class of 2022 safety Sherrod Covil on Monday. I spoke to Covil, who spoke highly of the Irish, and he had been in contact with Notre Dame defensive analyst Nick Lezynski before receiving an offer from defensive coordinator Clark Lea. Covil is looking forward to learning more about the Irish and visiting campus when things open about up.

*** A 2021 defensive back Notre Dame is inquiring about is San Diego (Calif.) Madison's Herman Smith, a 6-0, 190-pounder who is committed to San Diego State. He gave his pledge to the Aztecs back in May. I doubt the Irish will have to turn to Smith as an offer candidate with how things are trending in the secondary, but we will see.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News