ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Lucky Charms: Theran Johnson Update; 2023 Battle Brewing With Ohio State

MikeSinger

Recruiting Insider
Staff
Mar 7, 2013
Here are tonight's Lucky Charms...

*** Well, a nightmare as a reporter occurred for me. I interviewed Indianapolis (Ind.) North Central class of 2021 athlete Theran Johnson on Friday, but my app unsuccessfully recorded the interview. It wasn't much of a glowing interview as he was pretty honest that he didn't know much about the Irish. As I reported in The Gold Standard yesterday morning, Johnson had a Zoom call with Notre Dame on Sunday, and the Irish staff is looking to follow it up with a virtual visit this Sunday.

*** This happens sometimes but I feel it may be more so here -- when Johnson speaks to Northwestern reporters he says he doesn't have much interest in the Irish, but when speaking to Notre Dame reporters, he seems more open. He does plan to have the virtual visit with Notre Dame this weekend as he wants to hear what the Irish staff has to say, but he just doesn't strike me as a kid who really cares all that much about the recruiting process nor how big of a name Notre Dame is. He's just wired differently, and I don't mean that in a bad way. He just cares about football and he already loves Northwestern. This isn't to say that Notre Dame won't flip him, but it's going to take some work.

*** Notre Dame's first offer in the 2023 class went out back on January 31 when Mentor (Ohio) High's Brenan Vernon received good news from the Irish staff. I'd certainly understand Notre Dame fans caring much about the 2023 class, but I'm hearing that Vernon has built a strong connection already with defensive line coach Mike Elston, who does a really nice job on the recruiting front. My sources tell me that Vernon's recruitment is shaping up to be an Ohio State-Notre Dame battle and that Vernon is a five-star caliber player. This will be a big recruitment to follow, in my opinion.

*** Landing skill players in California is important for Notre Dame, and a class of 2022 prospect in the Golden State that the Irish have recently shown interest in is Corona (Calif.) Centennial defensive back Jaden Mickey. Listed at 5-11, 165 pounds, Mickey holds offers from the likes of Arizona State, Georgia, Michigan State, Nebraska, Oregon, USC and Utah are among his early offers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News