ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Lucky Charms: Scoop On 2020 DB Recruiting Pt. II

EJ Holland

Recruiting Insider
Staff
Apr 25, 2019
Here are tonight's charms...

*** New 2020 defensive back offer Collin Gamble is set to camp with TCU tomorrow. I'm told TCU is looking for Gamble to run a 4.52-4.58. If Gamble clocks in within that rage, the Horned Frogs will more than likely offer. And if they do, they will instantaneously become the team to beat in his recruitment. TCU offers an opportunity to play P5 football close to home, and his mother is an alum. According to a source, Notre Dame will push hard for Gamble even if he does get the TCU offer. Gamble has become a priority for the Irish, and the staff is going to work hard to get him in for an OV this fall. While I view Gamble as a pure nickel with field corner potential, ND feels like he can play some safety as well.

*** I checked in with a source close to the Notre Dame program, and there isn't a vibe that the Irish are really in it for Oklahoma cornerback commit Ryan Watts. Now, that could certainly change soon. I'm still hearing that Watts is legitimately entertaining other options. OU definitely wants to have him in the fold, so expect the Sooners to do whatever they can to keep him. Watts is currently out of the country visiting family in Trinidad and Tobago, so contact between him and any schools is limited.

*** Notre Dame is still working on former OU defensive back commit Dontae Manning. This one is going to be interesting. Right now, I don't have very much confidence in Notre Dame. Texas A&M still appears to be the team to beat, and OU is working hard to get him back in the fold. On top of that, Manning remains high on Oregon and Georgia. Notre Dame wants to get him in on Oct. 12 for the game against USC, but until he actually makes the trip, I would say the Irish are on the outside looking in.

*** Oklahoma jumped in the mix for Notre Dame cornerback commit Caleb Offord today. I'm told this one was a surprise. With that said, OU is now an intriguing option for Offord. The Sooners are selling early playing time and a chance to see plenty of action in the pass happy Big 12. I'm also told OU is pushing to get him on campus. The Sooners are hosting a big event this weekend, but right now, I wouldn't expect Offord to make it to Norman. Offord said he is still locked in with Notre Dame, so until he makes it to OU, there is no reason to panic. But this is something to continue to monitor. Remember, the dead period has a limited lift, so Irish assistant Terry Joseph has been in contact with Offord.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News