ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Lucky Charms: Nuggets from seeing new Notre Dame QB target Christopher Vizzina

MikeSinger

Recruiting Insider
Staff
Mar 7, 2013
Here are tonight's Lucky Charms...

*** I hit the road today to see Birmingham (Ala.) Briarwood Christian's Christopher Vizzina, a class of 2023 quarterback who Notre Dame offered last Wednesday. Let's start with his recruitment. It was pretty clear to me in talking to Vizzina and his coach, Matthew Forester, that Notre Dame is a huge contender in this recruitment. I do not know when I'll get to write up the story from these interviews as I still have other pressing stories to write up, but you guys will read about how important the Catholic side of Notre Dame is to Vizzina.

*** He mentioned it several times when we spoke, and his family was in awe of Notre Dame when they visited back in the summer. Even a coach at Briarwood Christian is a big Notre Dame fan and was wearing a Fighting Irish hat during practice and was so glad to meet me (you on here, coach?). Vizzina loved his camp experience at Notre Dame and appreciated that even though the staff didn't offer right then and there, Tommy Rees kept in really good contact. Vizzina thinks very highly of Rees.

*** I believe that if Notre Dame pushes for Vizzina, then he'll land with the Irish. I just have a hard time seeing that push happening unless Detroit Martin Luther King's Dante Moore tells Notre Dame he's going elsewhere or the Irish gets a strong vibe that they're out of the running. It's virtually known by everyone that Moore is the top of the board quarterback target for the Irish in the 2023 class. It's not a secret to Vizzina either.

*** Vizzina isn't in a rush to make a commitment either, which is good. He mentioned that he would like to take spring/summer official visits next year and decide in the summer. Another factor in Vizzina's recruitment is whether or not the likes of Alabama, Clemson or Georgia offer him. These Southern powers are in contact but haven't offered yet.

*** As far as Vizzina's performance at practice, it was a pretty light day of work so I don't have any strong takeaways on him as a player either positive or negative. I absolutely love his tape. I love his size at about 6-3 1/2 and 198 pounds as just a junior. He has a quick release, moves well in and out of the pocket and showed great leadership qualities. Vizzina is the only division one prospect on his team that I saw, and his best receiver was about 5-9. But he makes it work and has been stellar in leading his team to a 9-1 regular season record.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News