ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Lucky Charms: Notre Dame Sends Out Official Offers

MikeSinger

Recruiting Insider
Staff
Mar 7, 2013
Here are tonight's Lucky Charms...

*** In seemingly a blink of an eye, Notre Dame's class went from about 55% full to 75% capacity. The Irish are at 15 total commitments and that number very well may grow to 16 on Saturday with Rocco Spindler making his decision. Click here to read The Gold Standard from this morning, which was mainly about RB recruiting but touched on Spindler too.

*** August 1 is the day when schools can start sending out "official" scholarship offers to recruits, which doesn't mean a ton because they're still not binding offers, but it does show which prospects schools are still serious about. Probably the most interest part of all of this was that Notre Dame defensive end commit David Abiara only posted one official offer -- Oklahoma. What does that mean? I don't exactly know, but it's odd. From what I was told recently, Notre Dame and Abiara have had really good contact recently and he's still committed, so I'm not sure what to make of this.

*** Defensive back is a spot where Notre Dame has some flexibility. The Irish have four guys committed already in the secondary, but that number could grow up to six. For whatever reason, I was told that Tallahassee (Fla.) John Paul II Catholic's Terrion Arnold received an official offer from Notre Dame but didn't post it on social media. I thought that was odd but not a big deal because he wasn't going to ND anyways.

*** I didn't see Los Angeles (Calif.) Loyola cornerback Ceyair Wright post any official offers, but two of Notre Dame's other top defensive back targets did. Alpharetta (Ga.) High's Jaden Slocum is one; this is a guy who the Irish staff really covets. He's a perfect fit for Notre Dame on and off the field. And of course, Ewa Beach (Hawaii) Campbel's Titus Mokiao-Atimalala also received an official offer from Notre Dame. I've had a FutureCast pick in for Notre Dame to land him for a couple months now.

*** Notre Dame also sent out an official offer to Atlanta (GA.) Pace Academy wide receiver Jayden Thomas, who I feel the Irish are trending for. He also received an official offer from Michigan, who apparently are full after taking Andrel Anthony's commitment last weekend, but they're planning to continue to recruit Thomas anyways. Arkansas and Georgia also sent him official offers.

*** I'm not concerned about Michigan for Thomas, nor do I have much concern about Arkansas. Penn State is also in Thomas' top five, but I don't believe they pose much of a threat either. So that leaves Georgia and Notre Dame, and people I've spoken with believe that the Bulldogs aren't pushing that hard for him right now as they have other priority targets they're focused in on. I believe Notre Dame leads here and I'm certainly close to a FutureCast pick.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News