ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Lucky Charms: Notre Dame recruiting & coaching notes

MikeSinger

Recruiting Insider
Staff
Mar 7, 2013
Here are tonight's Lucky Charms...

*** The gist for Notre Dame receiver recruiting based on what I'm hearing is that it's likely the Fighting Irish add one more player in the room, but whether it's a high school player or graduate transfer is up in the air. Essentially, if Notre Dame can return its upperclassmen scholarship receivers, there's not a need to get a graduate transfer. In that case, Notre Dame would be more likely to get high school receiver. And in the opposite scenario, Notre Dame could get a graduate transfer if one or two of its upperclassmen leave.

*** In terms of names as to who Notre Dame could get in the high school ranks, I'm told that receivers coach Del Alexander has had the most contact with DeSoto (Texas) High's Stephon Johnson, an Oregon commitment who skipped the early signing period. The parties are already discussing getting Johnson on campus for an official visit in January. Another name to know is Savannah (Tenn.) Hardin County's Kaydin Pope, a Mississippi State verbal. From what I'm told, Pope hasn't been as responsive though.

I don't believe that Notre Dame will make a move on any receivers until after the bowl game when the staff has a better idea of the needs in the room.

*** As far as assistant coach openings, that also will not be moved on until after the bowl game, from what I hear. One source told me that "a lot of people have been calling" about Notre Dame's offensive line opening. Two names that have been discussed a lot on the interwebs are former Irish offensive line coach Harry Hiestand and UCLA offensive line coach and offensive coordinator Justin Frye, and they are real options from what I'm told. I don't have anything right now on defensive coordinator possibilities other than I don't believe it'll be Mike Elston. As far as the new special teams coordinator, Irish defensive analyst Nick Lezynski has a good opportunity for the promotion. He's very well-respected in the building and is running the special teams for the bowl game.

*** I am told that Notre Dame has reached out to those close to San Diego Cathedral Catholic class of 2022 quarterback Charlie Mirer, who went unsigned in December. A video of the son of former Irish quarterback Rick Mirer throwing in a private workout circulated on Twitter a couple days ago, and plenty of schools have picked up their interest. I would be surprised if Notre Dame looked at him for a scholarship spot, but they've been all over the place with quarterback recruiting the past couple months from where I sit, so I wouldn't discount any possibility at this point. Indiana and Oregon State are among the other schools expressing some interest. I was told that Tommy Rees may go out to San Diego in January to see Mirer throw.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News