ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Lucky Charms: Movement With Key Target AJ Henning?

EJ Holland

Recruiting Insider
Staff
Apr 25, 2019
Due to my flight schedule and the potential for bad weather, charms are going up early today.

*** Notre Dame made a huge stop this morning as offensive coordinator Chip Long and quarterbacks coach Tommy Rees stopped by Lincoln-Way East (Ill.) to see four-star wide receiver AJ Henning, who has been trending to Michigan after his recent visit. Henning is set to return to Michigan for an official visit on June 21, and he is good friends with new 2021 quarterback commit JJ McCarthy. Right now, I would give Michigan the overall edge in his recruitment, but as a source close to his recruitment recently told me, Henning is loving the process and changes his mind frequently.

*** So did Notre Dame’s stop with Henning make a difference? I’m told that Henning and the staff spoke on the phone and things moved in a positive direction. Henning has kept in close contact with the Notre Dame coaches as well as quarterback commit Drew Pyne. As I mentioned last week, Notre Dame is working to get Henning back on campus for an official visit in June, and we fully expect him to lock in an OV to South Bend soon. That’s really the key for the Irish right now — get him back on campus and turn the tide back in their favor.

*** I spent the early part of the day at De Smet (Mo.) and met with head coach Rob Steeples, who spent some time in the NFL with the Dallas Cowboys. When I asked Steeples about four-star Notre Dame wide receiver commit Jordan Johnson, Steeples told me he reminded him a lot of Jeremy Maclin. Steeples pointed to Johnson’s physicality and explosive ability. As I mentioned yesterday, Johnson is completely solid with Notre Dame and is recruiting hard for the Irish. In fact, Johnson told me today that he exchanged some messages with Henning today about teaming up in South Bend.

*** While at De Smet (Mo.), I had the opportunity to catch up with 2021 cornerback Jakailin Johnson, who already holds an offer from Notre Dame. Johnson has a chance to be a Rivals100 type of player, and the Irish are in a very good spot early on. Johnson told me that he sees the aforementioned Jordan Johnson as an older brother figure, and he would love to play with him at the next level. Jakailin enjoyed his visit to Notre Dame in March and is looking to get back to campus soon. I would give ND the early edge in this one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News