ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Lucky Charms: Brian Kelly Connecting With Top 2022 Target

MikeSinger

Recruiting Insider
Staff
Mar 7, 2013
Here are tonight's Lucky Charms...

*** I've reported quite a bit on Greenville (S.C.) High class of 2022 offensive tackle Collin Sadler over the past few months and for good reason. Even though some pundits believe he'll be staying in-state at Clemson, the Irish are near the top of his list and may even hold the lead. Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly and staff had a really productive Zoom call with Sadler over the summer, and I'm told both parties have been talking "quite a bit" and have connected well. Offensive line coach Jeff Quinn is really tight with Sadler too. Quinn is an outdoorsman, and so is Sadler, who lives on a huge farm. Sadler isn't looking to commit any time soon, but I'd really keep an eye on him and the Fighting Irish moving forward. He loved his visit last fall.

*** I was somewhat optimistic on Notre Dame's chances to land Los Angeles (Calif.) Loyola cornerback Ceyair Wright, but that has shifted to pessimism. He and a few other top 2021 recruits visited USC over the weekend for a self-guided group tour, and it seems more likely than ever that he'll stay close to home and play for the Trojans. I'm not counting Notre Dame out yet, but it's just not looking too good at this time.

*** Oradell (N.J.) Bergen Catholic class of 2022 quarterback Steven Angeli added an offer from the Pittsburgh Panthers on Wednesday. Angeli is of course one of two junior quarterbacks who hold an offer from the Irish along with Kentucky's Gavin Wimsatt. Apparently, there was a mixup on Angeli's offer; the Panthers' staff said that they offered him last year but that wasn't communicated to him. Pitt doesn't seem to be much of a threat to Notre Dame here.

An excerpt from an article posted on PantherLair.com:

Angeli already has some insight on Pitt’s offense and program, due to a connection with the Panthers’ current starting quarterback, senior Kenny Pickett. Pickett was a standout quarterback in New Jersey himself, and Angeli has heard plenty about the former three-star prospect.

“My offensive line coach was Kenny Pickett’s offensive coordinator at Ocean Township, so I’ve heard all the Kenny Pickett stories,” Angeli said. “He always says I remind him of Kenny. It’s cool to be compared to a good quarterback like that. It’s really cool.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News