ADVERTISEMENT

LSU #4 poll rant

Quest4Twelve

Fighting Irish Fanatic
Aug 31, 2009
Save me the polls don't mean anything at this time of year. Yes that is correct the only poll that mean anything are the playoff poll but hear me out. Did LSU look good in beating a decent looking UT team at their home, yes! However both teams gave up a s**t ton of yardage and didn't look dominant to me. So LSU now moves up to #4. You have 3 of the top 4 ranked teams from the SEC, 5 in the top 10. They will all get credit for beating up on each other like every year and be in position to have 2 teams in the playoffs. Redonkuless!

I hope to goodness BK has these kids ready to pull out a W in Athens!

It's the SEC bump - pollsters doing dirty work to ensure the conference isn't left out. Remember last year everyone saying how UGA should get the nod over ND because they played BAMA so close - hmph. BAMA went on to get demolished by Clemson worse than ND. And, had Clemson not taken a knee at the end they would have scored nearly double on BAMA than they did on ND.

There's things in the AP poll way more laughable than LSU. Explain the relative movements of Michigan vs Texas A&M in light of their games.

Not sure why you guys get worked up about the AP poll. You know that it has no bearing on which teams make the playoffs, right?

It's the SEC bump - pollsters doing dirty work to ensure the conference isn't left out. Remember last year everyone saying how UGA should get the nod over ND because they played BAMA so close - hmph. BAMA went on to get demolished by Clemson worse than ND. And, had Clemson not taken a knee at the end they would have scored nearly double on BAMA than they did on ND.
Exactly

Lsu deserves to be 3 or 4 right now. No complaints. They went on the road against a good team and looked really good
I think you could put Georgia, Oklahoma, Ohio State and LSU from #3 to #6 in any order you want right now. It will eventually work itself out. LSU has the best victory of any of those teams, especially after Purdue spanking Vandy Saturday.

No problem with LSU poll position. They scheduled a tough game and won.
If ND wins in Athens they will be rewarded with a top 5 position.

Reactions: ndhogan
They could. They could also say Fromm had a hang nail and the ND uniforms were too white so it wasn't a legit win. Lol!
No they usually give credit until the last 2-3 weeks leading up to the Power 5 Conf Championships.

I think that’s about right. Play a tough non conference game, get rewarded. Burrow has been heisman level, loads of talent all of the field

The polls are nothing more than ratings sellers.

In all reality they shouldn't even have a poll until week 6. Too many times teams have to climb a mountain too far to get there.

Week 6 gives a better idea who is who at the midway point.

I've always hated the early polls.

Who's the best guesser

Reactions: chitown sot
Reality is that some of these P5 conference schools are playing each other OOC and should be rewarded early in the polls ... ND schedule this year is trash ... after UGa you have Mich and Stanford on the road and UVA and USC at home ... most likely none of those will end up conf champs or even conf championship game contenders.

ND only needs to go undefeated, polls be damn, they will be in. What does it matter after 2 weeks where the teams are ranked?
Unless there are four undefeated conference champions, there's almost no possibility of us being left out if we are undefeated. And the only one loss team we'd need to be concerned about would be an SECCG loser who finishes 12-1. But even then, the victory at Georgia would loom very large in any comparison against an SEC one loss team.

Just beat New Mexico, then we'll worry about the next game.

polls are worthless especially early. playoff poll is the only one that matters. thought the texas -lsu game was very entertaining but was laden with fundamentally poor defense on both sides. Joe Burrow had a great game but it reminded me of a journeyman starting pitcher who throws a no hitter. don't expect it every time out.

polls are worthless especially early. playoff poll is the only one that matters. thought the texas -lsu game was very entertaining but was laden with fundamentally poor defense on both sides. Joe Burrow had a great game but it reminded me of a journeyman starting pitcher who throws a no hitter. don't expect it every time out.
I think most sports fans would agree that the first poll should be taken around October 15th, roughly halfway into the season. But Americans are enamored with polls, ratings and lists, no matter what the topic is. So the media feeds that hunger.

Reactions: echowaker
I’m buying LSU more this year than last. W/ that said, they did give up a lot of points. Granted, Texas can score, but that’s been swept under the rug a bit. They really won’t get tested like that until maybe auburn and then bama back to back and then maybe a&m at the end of the year. I think their defense will be good enough because their offense has finally gotten off the ground. It looks like they have a chance to make some noise. Win two out of those three mentioned earlier and they’re gonna get a look regardless of whether they play for their conference championship or not.

I think most sports fans would agree that the first poll should be taken around October 15th, roughly halfway into the season. But Americans are enamored with polls, ratings and lists, no matter what the topic is. So the media feeds that hunger.
Polls gives fans something to bitch about

Jumping into this late but I don't see who is more deserving at this point. They always have a great defense and are finally putting points on the board. They went on the road and tested themselves. I wouldn't put Oklahoma or Ohio State in front of them right now and wouldn't see a problem if they jumped Georgia.

Jumping into this late but I don't see who is more deserving at this point. They always have a great defense and are finally putting points on the board. They went on the road and tested themselves. I wouldn't put Oklahoma or Ohio State in front of them right now and wouldn't see a problem if they jumped Georgia.
Their defense was lousy saturday night, just not as lousy as the Texas D was.

Their defense was lousy saturday night, just not as lousy as the Texas D was.
In one game (one half of I remember correctly)...against an offense that can put up points...in the second game of the season. Oklahoma did the same to Alabama in the playoffs and no one says Alabama has a lousy defense. My point is simply that #4 isn't an obnoxious ranking for LSU this early in the process.

In one game (one half of I remember correctly)...against an offense that can put up points...in the second game of the season. Oklahoma did the same to Alabama in the playoffs and no one says Alabama has a lousy defense. My point is simply that #4 isn't an obnoxious ranking for LSU this early in the process.
oh i have no problem with the ranking at all. just saying that from a defensive standpoint that was an ugly game.

oh i have no problem with the ranking at all. just saying that from a defensive standpoint that was an ugly game.
It was. But 95% of the teams in college football would still probably swap defense with LSU even if they have a bit of a down year.

If the poll is going to reward LSU for doing something it should punish the other SEC teams that have done nothing.

LSU is one of the very few SEC teams that actually schedules home and home games with other competitive teams from Power 5 conferences. So in this case, I dont mind the ranking.

Alabama, who schedules neutral site cupcakes every year and then a joke of a OOC schedule, just started inking home/home series with legit power 5 teams because attendance for those OOC home games against inferior schools were not good. Student section would empty out after half time or halfway through 3rd quarter. The boosters and alumni wanted more competition on the schedule.

LSU is one of the very few SEC teams that actually schedules home and home games with other competitive teams from Power 5 conferences. So in this case, I dont mind the ranking.

Alabama, who schedules neutral site cupcakes every year and then a joke of a OOC schedule, just started inking home/home series with legit power 5 teams because attendance for those OOC home games against inferior schools were not good. Student section would empty out after half time or halfway through 3rd quarter. The boosters and alumni wanted more competition on the schedule.

Bama isn't replacing the cupcakes with P5s, they are just adding 1 home-home to their 4 open slots.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT