ADVERTISEMENT

Love or Price?

Dec 7, 2007
With Audric opting out of the bowl game, looks like Jeremiyah Love and Jadarian Price will both get good workouts in the Sun Bowl. Gi'Bran Payne will get some carries, too, but IMO he doesn't have the upside of the other two. Payne is a nifty runner, though. None of them has Audric's overall talent, but I think we have some real depth at the RB position.

I know lots of guys here like Love and the home run threat he brings to the backfield, but Jadarian Price seems the more rounded back to me, with a better inside game. Hope all three of them shine.

Any predictions?

With Audric opting out of the bowl game, looks like Jeremiyah Love and Jadarian Price will both get good workouts in the Sun Bowl. Gi'Bran Payne will get some carries, too, but IMO he doesn't have the upside of the other two. Payne is a nifty runner, though. None of them has Audric's overall talent, but I think we have some real depth at the RB position.

I know lots of guys here like Love and the home run threat he brings to the backfield, but Jadarian Price seems the more rounded back to me, with a better inside game. Hope all three of them shine.

Any predictions?
I hope Payne, Love, and Price all receive significant snaps. All three can play.

I think with Price... still need to be cautious with his Achilles to some degree! They are both complete thoroughbreds ... GREAT problem ND has in the backfield
I definitely want to see Price on kickoffs not Devon Ford. Also Faison on punts. Those are ND's best options at good field position.

Reactions: tbone3114
Love has most physical abilities and runs very hard but lacks vision

Price very talented but hesitated too much

Let the best man win

I think young and Williams if mentally ready could have a role in 24

Reactions: IrishMike409
Love has most physical abilities and runs very hard but lacks vision

Price very talented but hesitated too much

Let the best man win

I think young and Williams if mentally ready could have a role in 24
Eh, not sure Love has had a enough carries to really determine his vision. That said, vision by a RB is vastly underrated. Darius Walker REALLY sticks out in my mind as a back that had amazing vision. From what I've seen Gi'Bran Payne has the best vision of the remaining backs but he doesn't appear to have the explosion of Love or Price. I still think Love resembles Ricky 'Running' Watters. Should be a great backfield next year.

Reactions: tbone3114

Any predictions?
I expect Price will get the most playing time and most touches, and Love will be next. Payne will be used for occasional pass blocking and short yardage runs. All will contribute.

I don't. Health, good health that is, should dictate RB carries. And getting meaningful touches for other RB's allowed Audric Estime to stay healthy all season.
We’d have beaten Ohio State had we stayed with our best RB. Only 14 carries for a guy averaging 7 yards is a colossal failure.

Wouldn’t be shocked if one transferred, or Payne
I would be. Love, Price, and Payne all received meaningful RB touches last season, and now all three will receive even more next season.

We’d have beaten Ohio State had we stayed with our best RB. Only 14 carries for a guy averaging 7 yards is a colossal failure.
Who was playing RB didn't lose 6 yards on first and 10 on the potential game winning drive. Poor execution did. Extremely poor.

Love and Price can be game-breakers, guys who can get 1000+ this year. Payne isn’t as explosive, but he’s still a damn good player. He’s reliable and can do a lot of things well.

We’ve got 3 good options, with 2 studs coming in.

Who was playing RB didn't lose 6 yards on first and 10 on the potential game winning drive. Poor execution did. Extremely poor.
Poor execution doesn’t excuse 14 carries for Estime when he was demolishing their defense. It’s Ohio State. You take what you can get. Play calling and poor game management form the HC to the OC is the issue. Execution is a cop out to blame players. Even if the execution argument is used, it’s still on the coaches for not getting elite 4 and 5 star players to execute. Round and round the argument goes but poor execution is the result of poor play calling.

Poor execution doesn’t excuse 14 carries for Estime when he was demolishing their defense. It’s Ohio State. You take what you can get. Play calling and poor game management form the HC to the OC is the issue. Execution is a cop out to blame players. Even if the execution argument is used, it’s still on the coaches for not getting elite 4 and 5 star players to execute. Round and round the argument goes but poor execution is the result of poor play calling.
Love and Price combined for 11 carries and 79 yards against Ohio St.

Estime was 14-70.

Love and Price combined for 11 carries and 79 yards against Ohio St.

Estime was 14-70.
and Payne was 6 for 18. My point stands, lessen the rotations. 2-3 backs is fine. Playing kids bc you’re afraid they’ll transfer is poor coaching.

Love reminds me of Ricky Watters, which is a good thing.

Eh, not sure Love has had a enough carries to really determine his vision. That said, vision by a RB is vastly underrated. Darius Walker REALLY sticks out in my mind as a back that had amazing vision. From what I've seen Gi'Bran Payne has the best vision of the remaining backs but he doesn't appear to have the explosion of Love or Price. I still think Love resembles Ricky 'Running' Watters. Should be a great backfield next year.
It is not just vision; its the ability to immediately take advantage of it. Far too many backs hesitate.

That's simply not true.

Estime was pedestrian vs Oh St - 13 carries for 48 yards, 1 for 22. He, like Hartman, struggled against better defenses. Was very hesitant to hit the the hole. Price and Love both were over 7 YpC against Oh St and coaches should have fed Love the rock.

Estime was pedestrian vs Oh St - 13 carries for 48 yards, 1 for 22. He, like Hartman, struggled against better defenses. Was very hesitant to hit the the hole. Price and Love both were over 7 YpC against Oh St and coaches should have fed Love the rock.
14 for 70 was what he actually was

Love and Price can both be dynamic, but not running straight into 8 man fronts. The new OC must institute more stretch plays and outside runs. I'm not saying abandon up the middle, but damn I'm sick of seeing 8-9 guys in the box on 3rd and 4 and knowing we are running right at it.

Reactions: tbonesays
Love and Price can both be dynamic, but not running straight into 8 man fronts. The new OC must institute more stretch plays and outside runs. I'm not saying abandon up the middle, but damn I'm sick of seeing 8-9 guys in the box on 3rd and 4 and knowing we are running right at it.
The D’s should be loosened up. Leonard is just below an elite running QB. He can pick up big chunks of yards, and the D will to honor that.

I love what the run game could be this year. The interior of the OL is loaded with big and mean talent too….

Reactions: Kelso86
You are wrong. Estime was not pedestrian against Ohio St. And Love and Price were collectively better against OSU.

I think it's the opposite. I bet they stack and make him show he can beat them with his arm.

Only fair to remove the shortest if you’re going to remove the longest

Reactions: tbonesays
You can't go wrong with either but, Love just has that Dog in him. The future is indeed bright in that RB room. Go Irish!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT