ADVERTISEMENT

Linebackers

ZibbyQuinn

Shakes Down The Thunder
Apr 10, 2020
From a few beers in, seems like Ausberry is or will be the guy on first and second down. Coaches trying to get Sneed on the field but not sure it’s all coming together for him. Don’t love him coming off the edge on 3rd downs as a predictable edge rusher, would be better disguised blitzing.

Bowen didn’t flash much on Saturday, think as the season progresses, the starting 3 will be Kizer, Ausberry and Villamu-asa

From a few beers in, seems like Ausberry is or will be the guy on first and second down. Coaches trying to get Sneed on the field but not sure it’s all coming together for him. Don’t love him coming off the edge on 3rd downs as a predictable edge rusher, would be better disguised blitzing.

Bowen didn’t flash much on Saturday, think as the season progresses, the starting 3 will be Kizer, Ausberry and Villamu-asa
Disagree here a lot. Bowen played well. So did Sneed.

All 5 will continue to play

I didn’t have the advantage of recording and replaying that I usually enjoy; and so didn’t focus on our linebackers other than their involvement as plays developed. But, I thought both Bowen and Sneed played Pretty damn good throughout. In fact, I was thinking this may have been Sneed’s best game, an encouraging sign.

Really?

I thought Bowen looked good. Sneed made some quick plays as usual and missed others, so still some inconsistencies. Was happy for KVA

Can't agree at all.

Reactions: Kelso86
I re watched the game

Bowen did really well inside the box… ausberry was the best at reading plays left to right m/right to left and shooting gaps . Sneed did awesome running plays down and disrupting the qb, Kiser didn’t make mistakes, and kva very similar.

Their only issue was they were all late covering moss out of the backfield. They probably didn’t spend a ton of time covering running back out of backfield in practice.

I re watched the game

Bowen did really well inside the box… ausberry was the best at reading plays left to right m/right to left and shooting gaps . Sneed did awesome running plays down and disrupting the qb, Kiser didn’t make mistakes, and kva very similar.

Their only issue was they were all late covering moss out of the backfield. They probably didn’t spend a ton of time covering running back out of backfield in practice.
Not LBs but I re watched too

Jordan Botelho was a stud. He played a great game. Best game of his career

Not LBs but I re watched too

Jordan Botelho was a stud. He played a great game. Best game of his career
Yep, i've been high on Mills. He played fine, but I expected more out of him. He's taking on the most double teams though.

RJ Oben was probably the most disappointing for me. He just really couldn't do anything (rush passer or get off blocks to make a tackle). Burnham showed a little more athleticism than Oben, but he also didn't do anything. He had one opportunity to make a big play, and like last year just didn't. He didn't dive on a potential sack and let a big scramble happen.. Combined between the two they had one assisted tackle. We need more out of the SDE.

On the bright side, the secondary is possibly better than I even expected and I expected them to be really good.

Reactions: BGI User 756
Yep, i've been high on Mills. He played fine, but I expected more out of him. He's taking on the most double teams though.

RJ Oben was probably the most disappointing for me. He just really couldn't do anything (rush passer or get off blocks to make a tackle). Burnham showed a little more athleticism than Oben, but he also didn't do anything. He had one opportunity to make a big play, and like last year just didn't. He didn't dive on a potential sack and let a big scramble happen.. Combined between the two they had one assisted tackle. We need more out of the SDE.

On the bright side, the secondary is possibly better than I even expected and I expected them to be really good.
Hinish I thought was very active. Solid game. It really is the sum of the parts though. Excellent game overall.

Hinish I thought was very active. Solid game. It really is the sum of the parts though. Excellent game overall.
Agree, Hinish did great at shooting gaps, but when he couldn't shoot the gaps he was getting driven back (onye too). Onye didn't have hinish motor though.

Not having mental busts (other than pre snap penalties) allows the secondary to still play man a lot and not be as concerned even with a somewhat mobile qb.

Agree, Hinish did great at shooting gaps, but when he couldn't shoot the gaps he was getting driven back (onye too). Onye didn't have hinish motor though.

Not having mental busts (other than pre snap penalties) allows the secondary to still play man a lot and not be as concerned even with a somewhat mobile qb.
You win some battles and you lose some too. No one plays a perfect game or should be expected to. Just keep working.

You win some battles and you lose some too. No one plays a perfect game or should be expected to. Just keep working.
I just think we're going to need a bit more pressure out of our front 4 as we play some teams later that can throw the ball. USC and after

All fair points, just think Ausberry, KVA, Kiser give us the best 3 every down options and expect to see that play out by seasons end. Sneed is the wild card- unique tools and too athletic to keep off the field

All fair points, just think Ausberry, KVA, Kiser give us the best 3 every down options and expect to see that play out by seasons end. Sneed is the wild card- unique tools and too athletic to keep off the field
It looks like they don't trust Sneed still to be in a lot of "read the play" situations. He's more flat our rushing passer, or blitzing shooting a specific gap.

There's really only a starting 2. We're in the Nickel package most of the time. Kiser and Bowen started Saturday. On the 4th and 2 at the end, it was Kiser and KVA. Most of the time, it was Kiser and somebody else. So they definitely like having Jack out there, as the experienced veteran.

Last edited:
There's really only a starting 2. We're in the Nickel package most of the time. Kiser and Bowen started Saturday. On the 4th and 2 at the end, it was Kiser and KVA. Most of the time, it was Kiser and somebody else. So they definitely like having Jack out there, as the experienced veteran.
No doubt, simply stating I expect KVA and Ausberry to be the guys over Bowen/Sneed 2 months from now.

Sneed isn't getting dropped back. He's too athletic and playing too well from spring to camp to game 1

They're all going to play
No doubt, that rotation will stay intact. Just anticipate KVA/Ausberry to log more snaps. Sneed is a situational guy and not an every down player- in some games that will warrant more snaps, others less. Ausberry will be the better player in my opinion. Aus berry was the games highest rated defender and it was clear he knows the position at a higher level than Sneed.

Lot's of young talent and hopefully 2 more big fish to add but, when all is said and done I expect KVA to rise above all of them! He's got it all...speed, size & instinct...he will be the next special ND LB.

Last edited:
No doubt, that rotation will stay intact. Just anticipate KVA/Ausberry to log more snaps. Sneed is a situational guy and not an every down player- in some games that will warrant more snaps, others less. Ausberry will be the better player in my opinion. Aus berry was the games highest rated defender and it was clear he knows the position at a higher level than Sneed.
He also played the least. And I wouldn't use PFF for ny grades. They are pretty bad at it

He also played the least. And I wouldn't use PFF for ny grades. They are pretty bad at it
On the eye test after watching a second time, I thought Ausberry played really good, and held up much better inside the box than I expected. Sneed was awesome when he had one clear task. When he had to break off and cover someone he was late in reacting.

Minor details, because they all played good.

My concern with Bowen is he could never make a block miss, at times he blew it up, other times he got taken out of the play a little easy.

I don't expect any rotation to change after game 1, maybe just more situational in what the other team is doing.

On the eye test after watching a second time, I thought Ausberry played really good, and held up much better inside the box than I expected. Sneed was awesome when he had one clear task. When he had to break off and cover someone he was late in reacting.

Minor details, because they all played good.

My concern with Bowen is he could never make a block miss, at times he blew it up, other times he got taken out of the play a little easy.

I don't expect any rotation to change after game 1, maybe just more situational in what the other team is doing.
+1 eye test. Ausberry looks like a complete LB..Looks they’re trying to figure out Sneed and simplifying the game for him by putting him in specific situations.

Texas A&M has a massive OL, one of the biggest in CFB, our DL weren’t going to win on every snap. Their guys are huge and talented too. Our boys did very well in an extremely difficult environment.

They looked faster than last years crew but made some bone headed plays because they are inexperienced

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT