ADVERTISEMENT

Let's talk pass rush

IowaIrish1

Posts Like A Champion
Gold Member
Jan 19, 2015
This team really gets home in the second half. I know that in general any team will have more success in the pass rush later in the game, but it seems by design from Lea. Being able to get home with 4 is huge and it's helped make our secondary look even better. I was really worried about our pass rush coming into the year, but Okwara and Kareem have done a great job on the edge and Tillery is crazy good at getting home from the DT spot. Kudos to Lea, Elston and Balis for the job they've done.

I believe it’s all by design. They play solid defense without making any mistakes in the first half... and when they get a lead and know the other team HAS TO PASS to catch up.. they pin their ears back and it’s like a pack of wolves attacking. It’s awesome to see. Still a lot of holding by the OL’s on our guys that doesn’t seem to get called. Won’t be shocked when Clemson or Bama mug our guys and no calls made.

As Brian Kelly said ND is likely not going to be getting that 3 tech DT or 9 tech all world (5 Star) surefire 1st Round beast on the Defensive Line. You know the guys the "Star Gazers" are always crying about missing out on?

For ND it has got to be strength in numbers, get guys that are long, athletic and can grow into their bodies and become contributors over time.

As long as you do not whiff on these kids, ND can consistently roll out 7,8 guys that can play balls to the wall all game long, because they do not have to worry about playing 70-80 snaps.

With your top dogs rested, you can get to the QB in the 4th quarter without blitzing and leaving yourself exposed in the back end.

This team really gets home in the second half. I know that in general any team will have more success in the pass rush later in the game, but it seems by design from Lea. Being able to get home with 4 is huge and it's helped make our secondary look even better. I was really worried about our pass rush coming into the year, but Okwara and Kareem have done a great job on the edge and Tillery is crazy good at getting home from the DT spot. Kudos to Lea, Elston and Balis for the job they've done.
Hinish...the more he plays the more disruptive he's become. There is virtually no drop off when we rotate our d line players through. Literally no drop off.

That right there is elite. Only Bama and Clemson can say such a thing.

Hinish...the more he plays the more disruptive he's become. There is virtually no drop off when we rotate our d line players through. Literally no drop off.

That right there is elite. Only Bama and Clemson can say such a thing.

The only weakness I see is neither Hinish or Tillery are true run stopping DT's/NG's. Neither are those supersized space takers that gobble up the middle. Clemson has Lawrence and Bama has Quinnen Williams.

The only weakness I see is neither Hinish or Tillery are true run stopping DT's/NG's. Neither are those supersized space takers that gobble up the middle. Clemson has Lawrence and Bama has Quinnen Williams.
I'd take our guys over those tubby players at Clemson and Bama.

If we played them tomorrow you'd see why real quick.

Our dline is the benchmark in college and the trendy love affair announcers Herbstreit and Fowler have been taking notice. The trendy studio talking heads are noticing too how good our front four have become. It's any of our four. They're tremendous.

The best front four IN south bend since 1993 and quite honestly 1988...which was the best year maybe ever. They played like crazed animals. Frank stams, Zorich, etc
Flannigan and Young were pretty special too.

This group is every bit as good.

You'll see my friend. You'll see.

I knew the day that the 2016 recruiting class was announced (actually earlier) that the Irish would win a National Championship because of the great pass rush Dend haul. Of course they would have to mature to Juniors b/4 that would happen.

Dealin Hayes
Khalid Kareem
Julian Okwara
Adetokunbo Ogundeji
Jamir Jones

*** also in that class we got Julian Love, Ian Book,Tony Pride Jr.,Jalen Elliot, Chase Claypool,Tommy Kraemer, Eichenberg, and many other contributers.

*** For all the talk of having to get a top 5 class to compete--this class was ranked only 15---

Last edited:
I'd take our guys over those tubby players at Clemson and Bama.

If we played them tomorrow you'd see why real quick.

Our dline is the benchmark in college and the trendy love affair announcers Herbstreit and Fowler have been taking notice. The trendy studio talking heads are noticing too how good our front four have become. It's any of our four. They're tremendous.

The best front four IN south bend since 1993 and quite honestly 1988...which was the best year maybe ever. They played like crazed animals. Frank stams, Zorich, etc
Flannigan and Young were pretty special too.

This group is every bit as good.

You'll see my friend. You'll see.
Yeah... Quinnen williams is real tubby. In fact I’d call him tubby to his face in a dark alley

Reactions: BodiTheGreat
Yeah... Quinnen williams is real tubby. In fact I’d call him tubby to his face in a dark alley
I didn't specify him...but as a whole those two dlines are all about bigger is better.

I would take our dline over theirs all day long.....which you don't address the point of my post.

Moreover I wouldn't call Williams tubby to his face as he isn't. Lawrence on the other hand is...and I'd tell him that.

Seriously are you some 13 Year old sissy?

Back to the point...our front four and rotation is the best we've had since 88 and 93. No disrespect to 2012 as they were very good too, but these guys are a different level yet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT