ADVERTISEMENT

Latest On The 2020 DB Board - Part I

MikeSinger

Recruiting Insider
Staff
Mar 7, 2013
The Notre Dame defensive back board is the one major unknown when it comes to the 2020 class. We’ve been hammering the phones all week in hopes of putting all the puzzle pieces together. This Shamrock Secrets is part one of finding those answers and sharing what we’ve found with you all.

*** Sources I spoke with are feeling better where the Irish stand with its defensive back board after spending the May evaluation period getting out and seeing prospects in person. Notre Dame’s staff wanted to take its time and do its due diligence in April and May, and now the staff has a board it can focus on. At that point it’s all about the close. Four to five is the target number, assuming the staff can get targets they covet.

*** Keep a close eye on Delran (NJ) athlete RJ Moten. He is visiting Michigan this weekend, likely Maryland next week (both unofficially), and look for Moten to get to Notre Dame for the June 21 weekend. Right now, Moten doesn't have a set date for coming into Notre Dame, but I fully expect him to visit in June. I'm told Notre Dame is really excited about this young man and is one of the top safety options on the board.

*** The Irish are making a big move for Southaven (Miss.) cornerback Caleb Offord. BGI was first to report that he would be visiting Notre Dame this Saturday for an unofficial visit, and sources note that Offord may return for an official visit on June 21. This is a high upside prospect who Notre Dame likes a lot.

*** New Monmouth (NJ) Mater Dei cornerback Clarence Lewis is a key official visitor for the Irish this weekend. Lewis fits what Notre Dame wants from a skill and character standpoint. Everything I've heard about Lewis is positive, and sources we spoke with are hopeful that the visit could result in him joining the class, hopefully sooner rather than later, assuming everything checks out.

*** Highland Springs (Va.) defensive back Malcolm Greene is still a priority for the Irish. Notre Dame would like to get him on campus in the near future, but nothing is set up at this time. I've heard rumors that he'll unofficially visit Michigan on June 21, and Notre Dame won't have any visitors next weekend, so I'm unsure when Greene will get on campus in South Bend. But again, hearing that Greene is a safety prospect the staff likes quite a bit. The very latest I've heard on Greene is that he's going to wait until the fall to take his official visits.

*** Bryan, EJ, and I all have FutureCast picks in for Danville (Ky.) Boyle County cornerback Landen Bartleson and he is still set to officially visit June 21 and the Irish are still looking good here. I also have a FutureCast pick in for Ocoee (Fla.) defensive back Lovie Jenkins as well and he's also still slated to visit June 21. But based on the latest intel I’ve received I am not feeling as confident as I once was that Jenkins will end up in this class. I will leave my FutureCast pick in for Notre Dame, for now.

*** Frederick (Md.) Tuscarora defensive back Jordan Addison is one of the most intriguing offered prospects on the DB board, and we’ve heard that cornerbacks coach Todd Lyght likes him a lot. I'm told he'll likely visit Maryland in the next couple of days to meet with the coaching staff there. He's also slated to camp at Pittsburgh on Saturday and is likely to camp at Notre Dame on Sunday for Irish Invasion. I don't expect Addison to go much longer as an uncommitted prospect. He does not enjoy all of the stress of the recruiting process.

*** Richmond (Va.) Collegiate cornerback Nigel Williams is a name to know. The 2020 prospect has double digit scholarship offers, including Wake Forest and Virginia, and is expected to camp for Irish Invasion. He could be a potential offer down the line if he impresses the staff this weekend.

Tomorrow afternoon, @EJ Holland will follow this up with even more information on the defensive back board. Make sure you look for it!

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News