ADVERTISEMENT

Lane Kiffin

mrwigglesby21

Posts Like A Champion
Jan 31, 2005
USA
I'm not ready to cut ties with Marcus. Schedule next year looks to be easier at this point. BUT... IF... we need to let MF go. Let's talk Lane Kiffin.

His football prowess, and recent climb back to respectability, should have him on the short list of options. He has been the head coach at Tennessee, USC and Ole Miss. OC for Alabama during a mNC run. He also was HC for Oakland Raiders in the NFL. He's not even 50 (48). At Alabama he was on the sidelines with Nick Saban and Kirby Smart.

I think much of his immaturity can be chalked up to being a spoiled prodigy (Montee's kid). Does him being single, the way he left the Raiders, UT and USC, keep him from consideration? Anything else major I'm overlooking? He seems cleaner than Urban Meyer. I imagine Kiffin is going to put up good W/L over the next 12 yrs from age 48 - 60. I assume ND would pass, but, if I'm Florida or Miami this is who I'd go after.

I'm not ready to cut ties with Marcus. Schedule next year looks to be easier at this point. BUT... IF... we need to let MF go. Let's talk Lane Kiffin.

His football prowess, and recent climb back to respectability, should have him on the short list of options. He has been the head coach at Tennessee, USC and Ole Miss. OC for Alabama during a mNC run. He also was HC for Oakland Raiders in the NFL. He's not even 50 (48). At Alabama he was on the sidelines with Nick Saban and Kirby Smart.

I think much of his immaturity can be chalked up to being a spoiled prodigy (Montee's kid). Does him being single, the way he left the Raiders, UT and USC, keep him from consideration? Anything else major I'm overlooking? He seems cleaner than Urban Meyer. I imagine Kiffin is going to put up good W/L over the next 12 yrs from age 48 - 60. I assume ND would pass, but, if I'm Florida or Miami this is who I'd go after.
He has a great football mind, but I don’t think he fits the profile of what ND wants as a head coach.

Reactions: Classic Irish
If we did hire Kiffin, would he bring Charlie Jr. with him as his OC?

If we did hire Kiffin, would he bring Charlie Jr. with him as his OC?
Lane Kiffin runs the offense, Charlie Jr. does what he is told to do.

Lane Kiffin has come a hell of a long ways as a CFB Head Coach after being fired by USC. Good for him.

Reactions: scubastevefl
He has a great football mind, but I don’t think he fits the profile of what ND wants as a head coach.
That would be such a nightmare, if Lane Kiffin ever became ND's coach. My personal loathing for him has diminished some with time, but.... F no. Obviously he's aged and matured and isn't quite the embarrassment/disgrace he was when he was at USC. And I think he's doing good at Ole Miss, that's a good spot for him. Though it is fair to say if they do manage to get into the SEC title game, he'll probably get picked up by someone. And in any case he's not really a serious option for ND on account of any number of reasons not least of which that he might already be at a top-tier job when and if we need to replace MF.

That would be such a nightmare, if Lane Kiffin ever became ND's coach. My personal loathing for him has diminished some with time, but.... F no. Obviously he's aged and matured and isn't quite the embarrassment/disgrace he was when he was at USC. And I think he's doing good at Ole Miss, that's a good spot for him. Though it is fair to say if they do manage to get into the SEC title game, he'll probably get picked up by someone. And in any case he's not really a serious option for ND on account of any number of reasons not least of which that he might already be at a top-tier job when and if we need to replace MF.
Thanks Dad.

When I think of Kiffin, I think of a young up and coming hot shot coach destined for stardom, and the humiliating firing at USC, the Al Davis Press Conference that Was like a tutorial on Kiffin lying, and I think of Tennessee naming their waste treatment plant after him. He’s done a really nice job at Mississippi, but He’s never going to be the HC and face of the Notre Dame football program.

I don’t think we should ever hire a head coach with no HC experience, and we’re feeling the growing pains as Freeman learns on the job. And the Admin did him a great disservice with their handling of his preferred OC hire last year. The question is whether Freeman is growing into this job, and the jury is still out in my opinion. This off-season is critical as to what staff decisions he makes, and both OC and DC positions might be open for totally opposite reasons. How he manages this, and the Quality of the on field product in season three will tell us if the growing pains were worth it.

Reactions: IrishMike409
I don't like him, but he would probably do a good job here. But as the above poster said, it will bever happen.

Lane Kiffin runs the offense, Charlie Jr. does what he is told to do.

Lane Kiffin has come a hell of a long ways as a CFB Head Coach after being fired by USC. Good for him
Well then, Kiffin is paying Charlie Jr. over $300,00 per year to do what he is told to do. Nice gig if you can get it.

Well then, Kiffin is paying Charlie Jr. over $300,00 per year to do what he is told to do. Nice gig if you can get it.
And LSU OC Mike Denbrock makes 1.4 million annually to do what Brian Kelly tells him to do.

Agree. Nice gig.

Reactions: 96domer
You don't know sh1t.
Tommy Rees did what Brian Kelly told him to do, LSU OC Mike Denbrock does what Brian Kelly tells him to do, and $300,000.00 a year Charlie Weis Jr does what 9.0 million per year Lane Kiffin tells him to do.

I would like to see Skip Holtz at O/C. It's in the genes. He did fairly well considering where he coached. Probably not as talented as Kiffin.

• Wow
Reactions: tbonesays
I would like to see Skip Holtz at O/C. It's in the genes. He did fairly well considering where he coached. Probably not as talented as Kiffin.
Skip Holtz, future head coach at Notre Dame? I can see that, he is one hell of a coach and understands ND.

I enjoy Lane"s antics from afar and no doubt he is committed to winning and has a great football mind. I took Rebels at 25 1 to make playoff and will be rooting for upset against Dawgs. But in the end, if you lay down with dogs you wake up with fleas.

As a football coach Kiffin would be a home run hire. As a media spokesperson for ND maybe not, too much twitter nonsense but he would bring an exciting and explosive offense to ND. He would need a very good d coordinator. But with his experience and contacts he would find one. He has received alot of negative stuff from his previous stops in coaching. Raiders owner was senile and didn't like his hand picked HC calling him out in public about drafting J Russell but he was right. What a shit pick when he could have drafted A Petersen or Megatron ant 1. UT was pissed he left after 1 year but he had them competitive in his 1 year and left for his dream college job at USC. Can't really blame him there. So he goes to USC and has to deal with 64 scholarships and work for Pat Haden who was by all accounts a shit show running their athletic programs. Goes to Alabama and brings Sabans offense into the 21st century. Pisses Saban off and takes the HC job at lowly Florida Atlantic right before the NC game and wins conference championships there. Gets the Ole Miss job and has them competing in the SEC almost right away. The guy can recruit and what skill players would not want to play in his offenses? I'll stop with this rant but IMHO he would be a huge upgrade for ND football.

Reactions: mrwigglesby21
As a football coach Kiffin would be a home run hire. As a media spokesperson for ND maybe not, too much twitter nonsense but he would bring an exciting and explosive offense to ND. He would need a very good d coordinator. But with his experience and contacts he would find one. He has received alot of negative stuff from his previous stops in coaching. Raiders owner was senile and didn't like his hand picked HC calling him out in public about drafting J Russell but he was right. What a shit pick when he could have drafted A Petersen or Megatron ant 1. UT was pissed he left after 1 year but he had them competitive in his 1 year and left for his dream college job at USC. Can't really blame him there. So he goes to USC and has to deal with 64 scholarships and work for Pat Haden who was by all accounts a shit show running their athletic programs. Goes to Alabama and brings Sabans offense into the 21st century. Pisses Saban off and takes the HC job at lowly Florida Atlantic right before the NC game and wins conference championships there. Gets the Ole Miss job and has them competing in the SEC almost right away. The guy can recruit and what skill players would not want to play in his offenses? I'll stop with this rant but IMHO he would be a huge upgrade for ND football.
I think Kiffin has matured into one hell of a coach, but he owns his history and the impressions he’s made. For example, his firing in Oakland was a hell of a lot more than a public dispute over Oakland‘s draft decision. He was fired for cause, the Raiders did not pay the remainder of his contract amount, and he lost his formal grievance appeal regarding this. He Lost the USC job after losing to Arizona St 61-42 where it was apparent he had lost the team. Orgeron replaced him as interim and finished the year at 6-2. Always two sides on a coin, and the side I see shows A ton in baggage that would never be the face of ND football. Is he a better HC than Freeman today, the obvious answer is yes by a large margin. Time will tell if Freeman closes this gap. Is Freeman a better representative of ND, the obvious answer is yes by a large margin, and Kiffin will never close this gap.

I think Kiffin has matured into one hell of a coach, but he owns his history and the impressions he’s made. For example, his firing in Oakland was a hell of a lot more than a public dispute over Oakland‘s draft decision. He was fired for cause, the Raiders did not pay the remainder of his contract amount, and he lost his formal grievance appeal regarding this. He Lost the USC job after losing to Arizona St 61-42 where it was apparent he had lost the team. Orgeron replaced him as interim and finished the year at 6-2. Always two sides on a coin, and the side I see shows A ton in baggage that would never be the face of ND football. Is he a better HC than Freeman today, the obvious answer is yes by a large margin. Time will tell if Freeman closes this gap. Is Freeman a better representative of ND, the obvious answer is yes by a large margin, and Kiffin will never close this gap.
You make too much sense to be posting on this board.

Reactions: christophero
Some people just have a knack for being articulate and knowledgeable

That is Lanes offense
I'm not saying you're wrong here, but you've shown to be wrong 95% of the time. You are the the pretend to be in the know poster that really doesn't have a clue except from what you read from other sites.

I'm not saying you're wrong here, but you've shown to be wrong 95% of the time. You are the the pretend to be in the know poster that really doesn't have a clue except from what you read from other sites.
You can try to change the subject but you are clearly wrong here.

So about 99% of the time you are wrong so I'm still 4% better than you

You can try to change the subject but you are clearly wrong here.

So about 99% of the time you are wrong so I'm still 4% better than you
I never make proclamation's like you do, so it's impossible for me to be wrong 99% of the time. You believe you are Mr. know it all, but in fact you are Mr. know nothing. You are a fraud, and it's been proven time and again.

I never make proclamation's like you do, so it's impossible for me to be wrong 99% of the time. You believe you are Mr. know it all, but in fact you are Mr. know nothing. You are a fraud, and it's been proven time and again.
Nice try patty lol. If you can't take a stand on anything, you are a coward then

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT