ADVERTISEMENT

Knapp and Pendleton starting at the Left Tackle and Left Guard spots respectively

I’m very surprised and was wrong. I thought it was an overreaction based on just a few segments (limited information).

I think this bodes well if a true freshman and redshirt freshman (?) were able to beat out a fifth year and senior, respectively. Spindler and Coogan had quite a bit of experience so I’m sure Pendelton earned it. You have to like the interior of the line depthwise. Coogan and Spindler are still options if needed.

Knapp is supposed to be strong, smart, and athletic from what I read. Maybe his athleticism will be used by Denbrock to actually be an improvement in the run game over Baker.

Wow. I trust the coaches on this, but I have mixed reactions. On one hand this is damned impressive that 2 young "average ranked" recruits beat out more talented higher ranked and experienced players for the job. On the other hand, there is a sense of disappointment. What the hell went wrong with the older/talented/experienced guys? Regardless, congrats to Knapp (who sounds like the next Hainsey) and Pendleton. For the backups, you're one play away from starting, so be ready.

I talked to a OL that played on the team last season. He told me this spring: Rocco has maturity issues. Coogan is fine, but just that....fine.

We shouldn't be shocked that Pendleton has emerged and taken the role. He's a big talented guy. He was given a chance and he captured it.

Wow. I trust the coaches on this, but I have mixed reactions. On one hand this is damned impressive that 2 young "average ranked" recruits beat out more talented higher ranked and experienced players for the job. On the other hand, there is a sense of disappointment. What the hell went wrong with the older/talented/experienced guys? Regardless, congrats to Knapp (who sounds like the next Hainsey) and Pendleton. For the backups, you're one play away from starting, so be ready.
Pray.

Why ? Because two talented youngsters beat out guys who have a little more experience ?
Baker has played something like five games, and played well in one to my recollection. Coogan was average at best last year, and Rocco only slightly better. I would prefer Jagasuh at LT given his upside and year in the system, and size. Given Jagasuh’s injury, I was more concerned about Baker’s slow footwork than Knapp’s inexperience, and glad Knapp won this competition. Both Coogan and Rocco are slow footed and average linemen, so Pendleton and Schrauth winning the two guard positions is an upgrade in my opinion. Knapp and Wagner having won the tackle positions might mean they’re really good, or it might mean they’re simply better than Baker. I still think Lambert is our future LT, and Knapp a future guard or center. I have high expectations for our interior OL against TAM, and Wagner and Knapp are pretty big question marks in my mind. Hope I like the answer on Saturday.

Man CJ Carr is going to have a really good line in front of him for all three years! We need to win this one vs. maybe the best DL we'll play all year. We will improve as the year goes on. Have to trust our coaches. Go Irish.

Man CJ Carr is going to have a really good line in front of him for all three years! We need to win this one vs. maybe the best DL we'll play all year. We will improve as the year goes on. Have to trust our coaches. Go Irish.
CJ Carr has been in South Bend nearly 8 months, junior Steve Angeli was named backup to Riley Leonard.

Maybe so. That said, I thought Steve Angeli played well and looked the part against Oregon St.

Well this is definitely the O's one big achilles heel. And having two newcomers with zero starts is definitely a notable circumstance. But if we can get by A&M for their debut, one would think we could get through the rest of the season pretty well, until FSU and USC. And maybe this will just be more of an opportunity for Leonard to get out and really run. He's not Jayden Daniels, but he looks good enough to be utilized heavily in that way if they want to.

Well this is definitely the O's one big achilles heel. And having two newcomers with zero starts is definitely a notable circumstance. But if we can get by A&M for their debut, one would think we could get through the rest of the season pretty well, until FSU and USC. And maybe this will just be more of an opportunity for Leonard to get out and really run. He's not Jayden Daniels, but he looks good enough to be utilized heavily in that way if they want to.
Don't forget about going to GA Tech -- that will not be a picnic there.

I'm anchoring that that too...in 25 and 26, this OL will be ridiculously loaded.

Pair that with CJ Carr.....lookout.

Maybe so. That said, I thought Steve Angeli played well and looked the part against Oregon St.
He played well enough to most likely be a good portal candidate for a lower power 5 team if things play out as expected.

Reactions: Kelso86
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT