ADVERTISEMENT

Kizer declares for NFL draft

I don't think there's too many "pro Kelly" fans IN GENERAL out there. But if you're pro ND, and he's going to be the coach in 2017, then you are pro-Kelly for 2017. Who doesn't want him to do as well as he possibly can, if that also means that we also do as well as we possibly can?
Fair point. I will root for our team, however i want Kelly gone as of yesterday! Dont like him/never loved the hire. I did give him as many chances as possible. This year sealed the deal. If Michigan st. Ohio st Michigan and Wisconsin can find there guy? There is no reason we can't!

Fair point. I will root for our team, however i want Kelly gone as of yesterday! Dont like him/never loved the hire. I did give him as many chances as possible. This year sealed the deal. If Michigan st. Ohio st Michigan and Wisconsin can find there guy? There is no reason we can't!
Good for you. Glad to see that you will root for ND.

There are some on here that will be rooting against the Irish next season. I say that those people are letting their hate for Kelly outweigh their love for ND and that's just wrong.

I was hoping we'd make a change this year. But assuming we don't, I hope Kelly goes 12-0 in 2017 and makes jokes about being on the hot seat. My desire that ND does as well as it can possibly do, while maintaining our standards, trumps all other considerations.

Good for you. Glad to see that you will root for ND.

There are some on here that will be rooting against the Irish next season. I say that those people are letting their hate for Kelly outweigh their love for ND and that's just wrong.

I have no problem with people being pissed about this season. What I am more than done with and if I could cancel my subscription (yearly plan that ends in June) now I would...is how every thread on here ends up with someone saying the same thing they said in 20 other threads about not liking Kelly.

Once you start thinking NFL then it's best you go. Ready or not, here comes DK. You know there's a reason the NFL suffers from bad QB play. You can't send a bunch of half baked bread to do a man's job.

Reactions: Pennick44
For those of you Pro Kelly. Most of (OUR) the Anti Kelly crowd look at the last 30 yrs as mediocrity mixed with some memorable years. I think perhaps many of you are on a season to season plan?

Let's go back to Kelly's first yr. God bless Tommy Rees! First off here was a kid that was not a D1 talent. Tremendous overachiever, but dont kid yourself. He did not belong on any power 5 roster. Where would we have been had it not been for him? Kelly crushed Dayne's spirit! Hendrix.....no thank you.

On to the debacle of Golson. Not Kelly's fault. However it fell under his watch. Once again stuck with Rees! If you can't get the Qb to run your system/ keep them eligible? Then your damn right I'm blaming the coach!
Same as i blame Weis for squandering Jimmy's talent. What was it 52 sacks!! Pathetic, simply pathetic. No Div1 line should be so abysmal.

Fast forward year 7. If we could skip it i would. 4-8 only 1 10 win season. Ass kickings in every major bowl we've been in. BK signature wins vs. Lsu, Oklahoma. Flirted with the NFL, 2 tragedies related to football. Berating of players, lack of accountability. Reports of job fishing, piss poor game management, terrible playcalling.

Yea its safe to say we are pissed off! Rightly so. Many of us that fell in love with ND. Fell for the things that ND used to stand for. Sure they claim to care for the same things. Not so. Ask yourself this? If they did care about the fans, alumni, student athletes, prospective coaches? Then why has the University not done a better job of keeping pace with the landscape for which it sits?

If you are a ND fan you have been kept in the closet for far too long!
I have to disagree completely regarding Golson, Kelly crushed him. After his season out and spent with the QB coach he started out great. After a few weeks under Kelly's tutelage he was awful. Same with Rees. While Tommy wasn't a great talent Kelly turned him into a turnover machine.

Kelly is where QB's go to die.

I have to disagree completely regarding Golson, Kelly crushed him. After his season out and spent with the QB coach he started out great. After a few weeks under Kelly's tutelage he was awful. Same with Rees. While Tommy wasn't a great talent Kelly turned him into a turnover machine.

Kelly is where QB's go to die.
That is why Golson flourished at FSU and got left home from their bowl trip. Funny stuff.

If you can't complete a 10 yard over the shoulder pass to your running back; then you're not ready for the NFL, I don't care if you're taken first in the draft. How many times did Kizer have the ball in his hand last and lose this season? That rest on his shoulder Irish fans. Quarterbacks dream about that from their first backyard game through their last pro game. They want the ball last and a chance to go win that game.

Ara, I heard Chicago Bear reports say that they look at DKs potential, not what he does in college necessarily.

That is why Golson flourished at FSU and got left home from their bowl trip. Funny stuff.
He was ruined by that time. There is no denying he was great when he first got back and was even among the early favorites to win the Heisman. Kelly destroyed his confidence the same as he did to Crist.

Reactions: NIN Irish
He was ruined by that time. There is no denying he was great when he first got back and was even among the early favorites to win the Heisman. Kelly destroyed his confidence the same as he did to Crist.
Funny stuff.

Any QB who crumbles under coaching is not a QB you want leading your team. Holtz terrorized QB's and pitter patter it didnt matter because they were mentally tough.

Unlike the Participation Trophy twinkies that make up the majority of the posters on this forum.

Oh boo hoo! I got yelled at because I made a bad read or opened my shoulder and drove a ball into the dirt. Poor me I've lost all my confidence...sigh.

Reactions: mrwigglesby21
If you can't complete a 10 yard over the shoulder pass to your running back; then you're not ready for the NFL, I don't care if you're taken first in the draft. How many times did Kizer have the ball in his hand last and lose this season? That rest on his shoulder Irish fans. Quarterbacks dream about that from their first backyard game through their last pro game. They want the ball last and a chance to go win that game.

That's why I hope, for his sake, wherever he goes, he is given a couple of years of backup. No way is he ready to step in. If he ends up at a graveyard like Cleveland, he'll be washed up in no time. If he got to do a few years backing up a guy like Aaron Rogers in Green Bay, he'd have a good chance to eventually flourish.

No comparison to middle school girls, some of these posters with their diva meltdowns and snarky smack are in a genderless class of their own. :D

Good luck to MZ as he moves on.....

Good luck to DK as he moves on....

BW make those who doubt eat their socks next season!
AMEN!!!!!

Reactions: irishalice
He's no longer listed that high on most draft boards. Kiper and McShay don't have him in their 1st rounds. However, he could improve his draft stock with a good combine.
I think some are a bit confused on Kizer's projections.

He was NEVER considered the first or second overall pick. Never.

What he has been projected as, was the first or second quarterback off the board.
First or second rounder, most likely. Depending on who is drafting and their needs.

And for the record, latest McShay/Kiper projections I've seen, still have him as the first or second quarterback taken. Watson or Kizer are the two best at their positions.

Now we all know that NFL scouts and GM's don't always agree with McShay or Kiper.
So a darkhorse QB could emerge between now and April.

Reactions: Java65

What he has been projected as, was the first or second quarterback off the board.
First or second rounder, most likely. Depending on who is drafting and their needs.

And for the record, latest McShay/Kiper projections I've seen, still have him as the first or second quarterback taken. Watson or Kizer are the two best at their positions.

Now we all know that NFL scouts and GM's don't always agree with McShay or Kiper.
This morning the ESPN ticker said that Kiper has him as the #4 QB prospect in the draft right now.

Ara, I heard Chicago Bear reports say that they look at DKs potential, not what he does in college necessarily.

His ceiling is very high. He is very smart. And he has all of the "measurables" that scouts look for at the combine. He will get some tough questions from GMs and coaches about this past season, but someone will fall in love with him. He'll be picked in the top 45 picks.

Reactions: Kelso86
this is a major, major set back to the 2017 season. Nobody knows if Wimbush is ready. Next year beginning to look a lot more like this year.

WOW -- can we get any more excited? Would you rather have an inexperienced QB with talent around him (look at all the returned skill players), or, have an inexperienced QB with ZERO returning skill players (2018)? Either way, when he takes over, he will be a little inexperienced -- that is a given -- under which situation would you prefer?

Better suggestion -- why not just cancel the damn season so he can get "experience"!

I think his stock peaked right after the Texas game and dropped a bit later on. And I'd heard that Trubisky and Watson were the top 2 QBs listed currently. Hopefully Kizer will get drafted into a good situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kelso86
His ceiling is very high. He is very smart. And he has all of the "measurables" that scouts look for at the combine. He will get some tough questions from GMs and coaches about this past season, but someone will fall in love with him. He'll be picked in the top 45 picks.

And that will get him a nice payday!

Reactions: MTIrish98
Winbush was highly recruited and from what I have read on this board, Winbush has lots of natural talent,
so I'm not worried about Winbush. What I am worried about is Kelly not building the rest of the team up to the level that it has to be to compete at the highest level?
Kizer, with all his talent could not compensate for a poorly coached team.

Yes he could. As I stated before he would stay if there was a different coach at ND in 2017. He doesn't like Kelly. He's making the right move with what Jack has offered up for next year.
I do not totally disagree with you. He could use another year of college with another coach.

For those of you Pro Kelly. Most of (OUR) the Anti Kelly crowd look at the last 30 yrs as mediocrity mixed with some memorable years. I think perhaps many of you are on a season to season plan?..........
........Yea its safe to say we are pissed off! Rightly so. Many of us that fell in love with ND. Fell for the things that ND used to stand for. Sure they claim to care for the same things. Not so. Ask yourself this? If they did care about the fans, alumni, student athletes, prospective coaches? Then why has the University not done a better job of keeping pace with the landscape for which it sits?

On one hand, ND has literally for decades wanted to avoid having the reputation of being a football factory - because after all, ND is 'above that' - indeed, ND has been able to achieve this lofty goal !

At the same time - ND has wanted to create the illusion that they are truly competitive on the football field - obviously they have NOT achieved this goal!

The problem is.......we fans continue to support the team in the HOPE of seeing some improvement toward this end - proving the prophesies of P.T. Barnum correct - "There's a sucker born every minute" !

Last edited:
Being a Bears fan, I'm hoping he's taken. But, knowing how their GM has drafted in the past, I'm skeptical about his chances at being drafted early. I think he'll be taken in round 1 or 2. Also, their OC may be leaving (voluntarily or not), and the owners (who are notoriously cheap) may not want to pay DK what he deserves.

I really believe the Bears should get a QB every single year until they get it right. Either by draft (early or late), trade, free agent, sign a current QB, whatever it takes. Eventually, they will get it right.

After seeing Jimmy and Brady Quinn both struggle in the league, not sure how anyone can say that Kizer should not be back to play out his eligibility.

When they were at their best, Golson performed better than Kizer.

QB'S go off the board much higher than their respective talent slot. It is called reaching and NFL gms do it each and every year.

After watching that brutal game last night one thing the analysts mentioned which we all know to be true is most rookie QB's hold onto the ball too long and they said you just can't do that in the NFL. If you want a poster boy for holding onto the ball it is Kizer. With a good line and good receivers it can work...I commend him for standing in there but I think that is a habit he needs to change.

Peace Kizer, good luck.

I mentioned two years ago that Wimbush was the most talented QB on the roster; still stand by that and looking forward to him playing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT