ADVERTISEMENT

Kind Of What I Expected In the First Half

IrishInOntario

I've posted how many times?
Feb 21, 2009
I'm not overly panicked or surprised with what we saw in the first half. It was much of what we knew and expected about this team...

I'll start with the defense...

- I thought the linebackers looked young and inexperienced. Bilal was bad, but he's always lacked instincts. He can't be a full time player. Drew White gets crushed at times, but he also makes plays. Reminds me a lot of a short, former walk on who manned that position a few years back. Smart kid. As I said earlier today, Owusu-Koramoah is going to be a star and he was moving at a different speed than everyone else in that first half. Excited to walk him keep growing. He adds a ton to the rover position in this defense.

- The defensive line was what I expected. Weak in the interior where we are undersized, and strong on the edges where we have veteran, future NFLers. The ends were good in the run game and Satterfield didn't give them many chances to rush Pass, which was a good strategy. That said, they took two of those opportunities away from themselves, when two seniors were offside. Kareem and Okwara need to be better than that.

- I was fine with the secondary. The safeties were active and I was happy to see Kyle Hamilton get some work. He missed a tackle in run support, but redeemed himself with a nice pass breakup. The corners weren't really challenged through the air, although I was disappointed with Pride's physicality against the run. Crawford had a great tackle in space... Not surprised. Crawford makes plays whenever he's healthy and on the field.

- I thought the coaching staff made nice adjustments after a bad first quarter, which was nice to see. They're rotating a lot at linebacker so I'm expecting to see some bad run fits until they settle on a 2-3 man rotation of guys they like. I'll be disappointed if they give up more than 1 long drive in the 2nd half. Louisville is going to struggle through the air. Notre Dame needs to approach the 2nd half like they do against Navy. Gotta penetrate, get up field and rally the defense through pursuit. I think they'll be fine as long as the defense doesn't give them any short fields.

On to the offense...

- The offensive line did a nice job about 75% in that half. Some nice running lanes and decent pockets to throw from. Patterson has got worked a few times by the Louisville nose and Liam Eichenberg is still a step back at tackle from what ND fans are used to, but overall, they did enough for ND to score points.

- The running backs were what you would expect. Outside of bad drop by Kyran Williams, they did what they were asked to do, ran with power and got production. Tony Jones is slower than molasses but ran behind his pads, with good vision in that half. We'll see more running in the 2nd half and I'd like to see the backs keep doing what they're doing. As a group they look ready to go.

- The wide receivers and tight ends didn't get a chance to make any plays because of the quarterback play. Claypool had a nice twisting catch, but I feel sorry for the group. They were WIDE OPEN down field a couple times and Book didn't even look at them. I'll hold my opinion of them until the end of the game.

- Then there is Ian Book. That was Pittsburgh 2.0 in that first half. He managed the running game pretty well and made a couple plays with his legs. Two fumbles running the ball is shit though. If he's going to keep the ball he can't fumble constantly. They're lucky they didn't lose both of them. There was no excuse for that passing game. He was inaccurate on the RPO to Claypool. He's lucky #83 made a great adjustment to the ball or that might have been a pick 6. Way behind him. The 4th down throw to Finke was worse. That's an easy first down for Finke if Book doesn't throw that ball into the ground and he knew it. The worst one was when he locked onto Claypool into the boundary and didn't even see that there was a pre snap coverage mistake and that both the tight end and receiver to the field were uncovered. That was awful... I'm expecting Ian to play much better in the 2nd half like he did against Pitt last year. Deep breath. Don't drop your eyes when you come off your first read. Two fumbles is not acceptable... Lets go kid.

Go Irish!

There's no way in the world you saw this coming, and if you did I wish you would've told us so I could've found something better to do.

There's no way in the world you saw this coming, and if you did I wish you would've told us so I could've found something better to do.

I'm not talking about the score. I'm talking about our strengths and weaknesses. Notre Dame's weaknesses were glaring and their strengths were emphasized for the most part... The running game was good. The downfield passing game was non existant. The safeties were good. The linebackers looked really green. The defensive ends were physical and interior of the defense was chewed up...

Come one man. This is literally what we've been talking about all off season.

Two plays, both times stood in the pocket, trusted the protection, kept his eyes downfield and delivered on target... Touchdown.

It's just football. That's what I'm talking about Ian. Nicely done kid.

Reactions: rgc7
Just like the Pitt game last year, pulled away against a bad team. It wasn't pretty and Pass is much improved from a year ago, but it's a win... Book played better in the 2nd half. He still wasn't overly accurate in his ball placement, but credit where it's due, he moved the chains and made the throws he needed to.

On to New Mexico... Have to be much better or Georgia is going to go in deep.

I'm not talking about the score. I'm talking about our strengths and weaknesses. Notre Dame's weaknesses were glaring and their strengths were emphasized for the most part... The running game was good. The downfield passing game was non existant. The safeties were good. The linebackers looked really green. The defensive ends were physical and interior of the defense was chewed up...

Come one man. This is literally what we've been talking about all off season.
Our linebackers are going to be an issue all season, especially once we start playing better teams. Simon looks impressive and made some plays, but outside of that we know what we have.

Louisville is one of the worst teams on our schedule.

Book redeemed himself.
Hamilton is going to be very very good.
Keyes made a great catch.
Smith is solid inside runner -- impressive debut.
I sure hope Crawford stays healthy
Jones was Jones -- a solid second back but we need Jafar to be healthy!
Tommy Tremble is a very nice wrinkle -- another great debut.
Wright doesn't seem to get separation (although a buddy said he was open.)
Claypool is and is going to be exciting.

And Clark Lea is very good at making adjustments!

I was hoping we would see some evidence that Book had improved in the three areas that we’ve discussed here repeatedly: passes up the middle, passes over the top of the defense, and pocket presence. Throw in his two fumbles and uncharacteristic inaccuracies on several throws he usually executes with precision, and this was hardly the showing we all hoped for. The fan in me likes to think the plan is to beat Louisville and New Mexico without showing his development in these areas, and then surprise Georgia with a Book skill set they don’t expect.

I saw it coming.

You and I discussed this.

It's not Brian Kelly's M.O. to score 50 points.

Combine that with our lack of explosive players or players not playing who are explosive and thus the result.

I saw it coming.

You and I discussed this.

It's not Brian Kelly's M.O. to score 50 points.

Combine that with our lack of explosive players or players not playing who are explosive and thus the result.
Yeah, but they looked really bad against a worse team. Book's clearly regressed (ho hum for Brian Kelly) and our linebackers spent the entire game out of position.

This looks like an 8-4 team.

Yeah, but they looked really bad against a worse team. Book's clearly regressed (ho hum for Brian Kelly) and our linebackers spent the entire game out of position.

This looks like an 8-4 team.
Drew White wasn't bad for a true first game start outside of Navy.

Bilal on the other hand took the title of worst tackler on the team 2019

Was it pretty or dominant? No. That said, they won by 18, opening night, on the road.

Another week of “camp” coming up. Then basically 2 more weeks to get ready for GA. I’m fine with where we are.

Reactions: Pennick4
Hard to play against teams that are faster than you and big guys struggle with quick guys sometimes .

Can't replicate speed and option in practice.

They have plenty to coach off of.

Agree on all IIO.

Thoughts on Lamb? Seemed “gawky”. I didn’t see a LB that was breaking down and in good spots. Always leaning or attempting arm tackles as he ran past. Thought white played very well. Read plays very quick and went right to the whole. Was impressed.

22 (not using names for negatives) needs to find a new spot. Frame by frame he was never attacking. Always late to step. Gilman flew past him most of the time. Cannot okay LB at this level.

Simon played well. I need to rewatch it, did not see the interior breakdown you saw, Assuming the poor LB play was adding as they stayed in rush lanes.

Alohi is special. Hamilton is special.

Forget last year, the Louisville coach had an immediate impact on that team. Those boys came to fight last night and played their surprise card well. It's hard to play somebody when you have no clear idea what they'll do. You can degrade the Louisville effort all you want-they gave us their all and we still won by 18. I've tried to warn you for weeks that Louisville would be no easy win. There was too many questions entering that contest.

Last edited:
I was hoping we would see some evidence that Book had improved in the three areas that we’ve discussed here repeatedly: passes up the middle, passes over the top of the defense, and pocket presence. Throw in his two fumbles and uncharacteristic inaccuracies on several throws he usually executes with precision, and this was hardly the showing we all hoped for. The fan in me likes to think the plan is to beat Louisville and New Mexico without showing his development in these areas, and then surprise Georgia with a Book skill set they don’t expect.
The part of you that has intelligence realizes that's not the case. They didn't hide anything vs Louisville, he just flat out panicked every time his first read wasn't open or Louisville blitzed. If anything, ND should want to show their downfield passing to make teams have to prepare for it. Right now, they know they only need to defend the pass for a short period vs book, and if he leaves the pocket, the ball is tucked away, head down, so no chance of throwing still. So disappointing ND can't have a championship caliber QB.

Reactions: rgc7 and theskibro
Just like the Pitt game last year, pulled away against a bad team. It wasn't pretty and Pass is much improved from a year ago, but it's a win... Book played better in the 2nd half. He still wasn't overly accurate in his ball placement, but credit where it's due, he moved the chains and made the throws he needed to.

On to New Mexico... Have to be much better or Georgia is going to go in deep.
IIO

Sounds like we saw the same thing except was it me or did you notice a very timid QB? First game and hate to jump on the kid after 1 game but for some reason Book reminded me of Wimbush last year. The weight of ND nation is on his shoulders and he just didn’t handle it well. I hope I’m wrong but if he plays like that against New Mexico we are deep &$@“ against UGA. Might start to see if #15 to provide a spark if he looks out of sync against New Mexico. Which is crazy because he did take ND to the playoffs. I had a lot higher expectations for book he just didn’t look like that underdog kid that had a fire.

IIO

Sounds like we saw the same thing except was it me or did you notice a very timid QB? First game and hate to jump on the kid after 1 game but for some reason Book reminded me of Wimbush last year. The weight of ND nation is on his shoulders and he just didn’t handle it well. I hope I’m wrong but if he plays like that against New Mexico we are deep &$@“ against UGA. Might start to see if #15 to provide a spark if he looks out of sync against New Mexico. Which is crazy because he did take ND to the playoffs. I had a lot higher expectations for book he just didn’t look like that underdog kid that had a fire.

Two things:

1. It has been said many, many times that quarterbacks don't get better under Brian Kelly. It's like they go from green, but promising, to confused and overwhelmed after one season.

2. Georgia should roll this team easily, but that won't be because of Book, Bilal, or even Kelly. It will be because they are a lot better than we are.

Our linebackers are going to be an issue all season, especially once we start playing better teams. Simon looks impressive and made some plays, but outside of that we know what we have.

Louisville is one of the worst teams on our schedule.
Simply not an accurate statement. Maybe they were expected to be one of the worst, but I would say last year appears to be more a statement to the level of disfunction under petrino than the quality of players. Satterfield is a good coach and he attacked our weaknesses and marginalized our strength on the edge with shrewd play calling and scheme. The sky isnt falling the weaknesses we have were simply confirmed. Lbs will get better with time and against a team that drops back our strength on the de will show.

Reactions: greengael
I checked their recruiting for the past five years: they averaged @ #30, which is better than a lot of the teams we struggled with last year (Ball State!). Pass was someone ND really wanted but hadn't run the ball much before.... So that was a surprise. But give Lea credit, he adjusted and we held them to 3 the rest of the way.

The game reminded me what a great ND player Coney was! For the past two years he seemed always to be around the ball in the running game. I guess White looked closest but he also looks tiny compared to Coney. Hard to lose Tillery, Drue, Coney and Love and not have some kind of drop-off.

IIO is right -- the questions are the ones we've been asking all off-season.

Middle of the d-line, and linebacker... and how dynamic can our offense be? If we base our answers on last night we're looking at 9-3 or maybe 10-2, the schedule is just too brutal.

With Jafar, Kmet, Young... and improvement from Book, perhaps that will change.

The part of you that has intelligence realizes that's not the case. They didn't hide anything vs Louisville, he just flat out panicked every time his first read wasn't open or Louisville blitzed. If anything, ND should want to show their downfield passing to make teams have to prepare for it. Right now, they know they only need to defend the pass for a short period vs book, and if he leaves the pocket, the ball is tucked away, head down, so no chance of throwing still. So disappointing ND can't have a championship caliber QB.
Well Nasty, we totally agree on his pocket presence issue. He just can’t seem to fight the instinct to tuck and run when he either feels pressure, or his first reads are not open. This, despite what we know was a point of emphasis all Off season, although practice just doesn’t simulate game conditions for this. As for the rest, I still hold out hope that they played a conservative game plan for Book with respect to passing over the top and into the middle of the field. That said, Book has the physical tools to make these throws, and it seems he is so risk adverse, that he just can’t mentally let loose. Still holding out hope that we see a different Book when we play Georgia, but as you say, my brain and heart are not aligned here.

Reactions: greengael and rgc7
Two things:

1. It has been said many, many times that quarterbacks don't get better under Brian Kelly. It's like they go from green, but promising, to confused and overwhelmed after one season.

2. Georgia should roll this team easily, but that won't be because of Book, Bilal, or even Kelly. It will be because they are a lot better than we are.
I hear what your saying....is it a Kelly issue or just the expectations? Or combination of both?

Yea ND Interior DLine better start eating and hitting the weight room because they are seriously out manned against UGA.

330lbs average vs 290lbs average not a recipe for success against the run

I hear what your saying....is it a Kelly issue or just the expectations? Or combination of both?

Yea ND Interior DLine better start eating and hitting the weight room because they are seriously out manned against UGA.

330lbs average vs 290lbs average not a recipe for success against the run

I think it is one of Kelly's shortcomings, but I'm not at practice, so what do I know!

I also think many of us want to believe that we can compete with the Alabamas and Clemsons of the world, but we just don't have the horses and haven't had them for 25 years.

Well Nasty, we totally agree on his pocket presence issue. He just can’t seem to fight the instinct to tuck and run when he either feels pressure, or his first reads are not open. This, despite what we know was a point of emphasis all Off season, although practice just doesn’t simulate game conditions for this. As for the rest, I still hold out hope that they played a conservative game plan for Book with respect to passing over the top and into the middle of the field. That said, Book has the physical tools to make these throws, and it seems he is so risk adverse, that he just can’t mentally let loose. Still holding out hope that we see a different Book when we play Georgia, but as you say, my brain and heart are not aligned here.
I doubt it but you may be right, remember when wimbush wasn’t allowed to run vs ball state.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT