ADVERTISEMENT

Just watched final 5 min of usc/nd 2005

Game should’ve been over anyway. They gave usc forward progress on the leinart fumble that squirted backwards out of bounds at the roughly 2 & 1/2 yd line, which would not have resulted in a stopped clock and they would’ve run out of time. Total cheat in all ways.

Most forget the 3rd and 20 play where they gained 11 yards.

Most also forget that there were two receivers on the right side of USC’s formation and only one receiver, # 8 on the left side, hence Z would tend to favor the double receiver side of the field.
Leinhart didn't play action, he nodded at Jarret before the snap.
Game should’ve been over anyway. They gave usc forward progress on the leinart fumble that squirted backwards out of bounds at the roughly 2 & 1/2 yd line, which would not have resulted in a stopped clock and they would’ve run out of time. Total cheat in all ways.
You are saying clock continues to run when the offense fumbles out of bounds? Even if that is true the refs would have stopped the clock while they argued about where the ball should be. SC did advance the ball on the fumble. Without those bonus yards they just spike it and kick the fg for OT.

Leinhart didn't play action, he nodded at Jarret before the snap.

You are saying clock continues to run when the offense fumbles out of bounds? Even if that is true the refs would have stopped the clock while they argued about where the ball should be. SC did advance the ball on the fumble. Without those bonus yards they just spike it and kick the fg for OT.
Leinhart never nods to Jarret prior to the snap.
He looks both ways, first he looks right then he looks left, then he takes the snap

i never said that the clock continues to run when the ball is fumbled OB.
Where did you get that misinformation from ?

The refs never argued on the spot of the ball.
The sideline judge was very close to where the ball went OB.
He point to the spot immediately and marked the ball.

With 30 seconds left in the game the killer was USC getting a first down, with no time outs, on 3rd and 4.

Leinhart never nods to Jarret prior to the snap.
He looks both ways, first he looks right then he looks left, then he takes the snap

i never said that the clock continues to run when the ball is fumbled OB.
Where did you get that misinformation from ?

The refs never argued on the spot of the ball.
The sideline judge was very close to where the ball went OB.
He point to the spot immediately and marked the ball.

With 30 seconds left in the game the killer was USC getting a first down, with no time outs, on 3rd and 4.
Bullshit. The killer was letting Dwayne Jarrett go 62 yards on 4th and 9.

If you tackle Dwayne Jarrett, what you say is irrelevant.
They did tackle Jarrett, on the 12 yard line.

I was specific in referencing the 30 second mark, which you either missed or ignored.

They did tackle Jarrett, on the 12 yard line.

I was specific in referencing the 30 second mark, which you either missed or ignored.
I didn't miss shit. When you go 62 yards on fourth and 9 with the game on the line, don't moan about a first down 3 plays later.

I didn't miss shit. When you go 62 yards on fourth and 9 with the game on the line, don't moan about a first down 3 plays later.
You seem incapable of understanding context !

My statement was specific about the play at the 30 second mark, not the 88 second mark, not the 7 second mark, but the 30 second mark.

Have someone who understands context explain that to you !

“You are saying clock continues to run when the offense fumbles out of bounds? Even if that is true the refs would have stopped the clock while they argued about where the ball should be. SC did advance the ball on the fumble. Without those bonus yards they just spike it and kick the fg for OT.”

The clock does continue to run because they gave them forward progress. The ball going out of bounds has nothing to do w/ it if there’s forward progress. It’s one or the other, either the ball is at the three and whether or not they have enough time to line up and spike it is arguable, or the ball is placed at the point of forward progress & time runs out. They may have had time to get the ball in & spike it but it wasn’t a given they’d be able to lineup that quick. The last couple plays were strange and confusing but we didn’t get any of the 3 questionable calls. Ball placement, clock should have run & of course the bush push. All three of those calls went usc’s way.

Although if they call it out of bounds where it went out, the clock stops & usc would’ve obviously been able to kick the tying fg, but they marked it at the forward progress point but still stopped the clock. That was a mistake on their part.

Although if they call it out of bounds where it went out, the clock stops & usc would’ve obviously been able to kick the tying fg, but they marked it at the forward progress point but still stopped the clock. That was a mistake on their part.
Leinhart lost the ball on that play, there is no debate. But it flew out of bounds. I thought that that stops the clock and the refs did too. The maxim is that the offense should not gain yards on a fumble, so they were supposed to spot the ball at the point where he lost the ball. Even if you were right that the clock should have kept running, it would not matter because the PAC refs have to stop the clock while they try to remember the rule.

That play shows how dumb was Leinhart. A completely immobile quarterback eschews throwing it away in the final seconds and decides to start lumbering towards the endzone with no timeouts. He is suppsoed to be tackled but he drops the ball, which narrowly flies out of bounds (instead of into the endzone which would mean ND gets the ball at the 20). The clueless refs allow SC to advance the ball on the fumble.

And apparently I was the only person who knew Leinhart would be a draft bust.

“it would not matter because the PAC refs have to stop the clock while they try to remember the rule.”

They shouldn’t have had to stop the clock to remember the rule though. Therein lies the rub. They got the benefit of ball placement & stopping the clock for going out of bounds. Can’t have it both ways & yet they did.

“You are saying clock continues to run when the offense fumbles out of bounds? Even if that is true the refs would have stopped the clock while they argued about where the ball should be. SC did advance the ball on the fumble. Without those bonus yards they just spike it and kick the fg for OT.”

The clock does continue to run because they gave them forward progress. The ball going out of bounds has nothing to do w/ it if there’s forward progress. It’s one or the other, either the ball is at the three and whether or not they have enough time to line up and spike it is arguable, or the ball is placed at the point of forward progress & time runs out. They may have had time to get the ball in & spike it but it wasn’t a given they’d be able to lineup that quick. The last couple plays were strange and confusing but we didn’t get any of the 3 questionable calls. Ball placement, clock should have run & of course the bush push. All three of those calls went usc’s way.
USC had no time outs left.
The ball went OB at the 7 second mark and the clock was stopped at the 7 second mark.
The snap of the ball on the TD play was on the 7 second mark.

Had the clock kept running when the ball went OB ND would have won the game as time would have expired before USC could get the next play off.

Leinhart lost the ball on that play, there is no debate. But it flew out of bounds. I thought that that stops the clock and the refs did too. The maxim is that the offense should not gain yards on a fumble, so they were supposed to spot the ball at the point where he lost the ball. Even if you were right that the clock should have kept running, it would not matter because the PAC refs have to stop the clock while they try to remember the rule.

That play shows how dumb was Leinhart. A completely immobile quarterback eschews throwing it away in the final seconds and decides to start lumbering towards the endzone with no timeouts. He is suppsoed to be tackled but he drops the ball, which narrowly flies out of bounds (instead of into the endzone which would mean ND gets the ball at the 20). The clueless refs allow SC to advance the ball on the fumble.

And apparently I was the only person who knew Leinhart would be a draft bust.
Leinhart is running and looking for an open receiver, If Bush doesn’t miss his block, Leinhart scores on that play.

If the ball isn’t fumbled the game is over, if the ball is fumbled through the EZ OB the game is over.

There were so many ways that ND could have and should have won that game, but alas, it wasn’t to be.

For decades I’ve advocated for an independent officiating crew for home games, but only occasionally has ND secured that arrangement.

Letting the visiting team bring their officials is a formula for disaster, USC 2005 being exhibit A

Reactions: THUNDERSTRUCK111
My top 5
1. 2012 NC beat down by Bama
2. 2005 USC bush push
3. 93 loss to BC
4. Mich st. Little giants play.
5. Losing to UConn
There’s more but I’d go with those 5. I been watching since 88 so I don’t recall any games before hand.

Leinhart is running and looking for an open receiver, If Bush doesn’t miss his block, Leinhart scores on that play.

If the ball isn’t fumbled the game is over, if the ball is fumbled through the EZ OB the game is over.

There were so many ways that ND could have and should have won that game, but alas, it wasn’t to be.

For decades I’ve advocated for an independent officiating crew for home games, but only occasionally has ND secured that arrangement.

Letting the visiting team bring their officials is a formula for disaster, USC 2005 being exhibit A
Don't let a WR run 62 yards on fourth and 9 with the game on the line.

Excuses and blaming referees are for losers.

My top 5
1. 2012 NC beat down by Bama
2. 2005 USC bush push
3. 93 loss to BC
4. Mich st. Little giants play.
5. Losing to UConn
There’s more but I’d go with those 5. I been watching since 88 so I don’t recall any games before hand.
I’ve been watching since 02. The close losses hurt more than the blowouts for me.

1. 05 USC
2. 1/1/22 vs ok state
3. 2015 at Clemson/2015 at Stanford

I’ve been watching since 02. The close losses hurt more than the blowouts for me.

1. 05 USC
2. 1/1/22 vs ok state
3. 2015 at Clemson/2015 at Stanford
2011 at Michigan is easily my #1.

2009-2011 Michigan were the toughest to take for me. 2011 the worst.

2005 USC was heartbreak but it was an amazing #1 team and not a Michigan that you hate to see ND lose to.
I literally did not move off the couch for 12 hours after that 2011 Michigan meltdown.

Like you, I was surprised the 2005 USC game was that close.

2011 Michigan sucked but isn’t on the list for me because I believe we had already been upset in our first game that season against south Florida. So my hopes were already dashed. All the games on my list were good ND teams playing for something.

Oh and I don’t think anyone has mentioned 2014 FSU. I feel like that’s a different kind of disappointment because even more so than 05 usc the refs stole it from us.

Oh and I don’t think anyone has mentioned 2014 FSU. I feel like that’s a different kind of disappointment because even more so than 05 usc the refs stole it from us.
I forgot that one. Yes that was a heartbreaker. We won that game. But the refs screwed us.

He can't throw it past the line of scrimmage. I believe that would have ended the game with a 10 second run off.
The LOS was about the 2 yard line, he takes the snap, looks for a receiver and then rolls to his left looking for a receiver. He then decides to try to run for the TD. He can throw the ball at any time up until he reaches the 2 yard line.

If Bush makes the block on # 30, Leinhart scores

Yes, without a doubt.
And that same ref previously called a questionable targeting call on Tuitt in the Pitt game.
And, the refs also failed to call a penalty when the FSU player took his helmet off.

ND has to get indep crews or history will repeat itself !

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT