ADVERTISEMENT

It starts with defense

BGI User 2232

I've posted how many times?
Gold Member
Aug 29, 2003
While there's no question when analysts talk about ND basketball, they start with the offense, but last night's game turned on a ramped up defensive effort. Somewhere around the 8 or 9 minutes mark, there was a four and a half minute stretch where North Carolina made six turnovers. Some of them might have been self-induced, but that's what happens when defensive pressure is intensified. I'm pretty sure Grant was on Paige, and shut him down from having good looks, Jackson was hounding the primary ball handler, Connaughton ratcheted it up, and Vasturia does what he always does. I think Colson had come in for a short period, too, and he always brings energy. When Auguste came back, he provided as good a rebounding stretch as he has in his career. This keyed the transition game, and the Irish were able to get down the floor before Carolina could get set, and with the Irish ball movement, they found the open looks they needed. Defense is a large part mental toughness and desire, and at that point, the Irish almost willed themselves to victory. On the character scale, this team scores very close to ten out of ten.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News