ADVERTISEMENT

Is there such a thing as offensive face mask because Branch got away with one on that long run....

Tru2Irish

ND Expert
Aug 2, 2013
Seems like refs love to call face masking on ND every chance they get, Don't see how ref couldn't have seen that being he was right there. Anyway, it was a fairly evenly called game. Wish ND could've grabbed that fumble that Branch had. That kid has quick reflexs. WR,RB and returns. Reminds me of Agholor some. On a different note kudos to C'bo for scoring 2 tds against 'Ville for Pitt.

Seems like refs love to call face masking on ND every chance they get, Don't see how ref couldn't have seen that being he was right there. Anyway, it was a fairly evenly called game. Wish ND could've grabbed that fumble that Branch had. That kid has quick reflexs. WR,RB and returns. Reminds me of Agholor some. On a different note kudos to C'bo for scoring 2 tds against 'Ville for Pitt.
I believe that call would be "hands to the face" in regards to a penalty

Reactions: BGI User 756
I wondered about that play myself because he did clearly grab the facemark. I often wonder about stiff arms because so often the offensive player does get away with hands to the face.

I think we may have gotten away with a block in the back on Price's kickoff return as well. I noticed it on the replay. I'd have to look at it again to be sure.

It looked like a face mask penalty to me. But I do not know the exact rule or how the wording is stated.

I wondered about that play myself because he did clearly grab the facemark. I often wonder about stiff arms because so often the offensive player does get away with hands to the face.

I think we may have gotten away with a block in the back on Price's kickoff return as well. I noticed it on the replay. I'd have to look at it again to be sure.
Shhhhhh.....ACC refs'll start looking for it....

Shhhhhh.....ACC refs'll start looking for it....
Yup, I was clearly mistaken. On second look, ND #34 did not push USC #24 in the back for about five yards just as the play developed.

More importantly, why did we kick to him. Kick it to the sidelines. We don’t think of those things I guess

More importantly, why did we kick to him. Kick it to the sidelines. We don’t think of those things I guess
You can't give up 10-15 yards every kick by playing scared. I hear you maybe situationally a little crazy to kick to him, but CMF is going to be aggressive and put his guys in a place to make tackles.

Was a clear coverage breakdown and the kid shook our coverage unit impressively. I think I saw a few too many low twitch white dudes on the coverage unit.

Id complain more about the execution and the guys on the coverage team before the call about kicking to him

I saw that and wondered why it didn’t get called.

That first PI on Benji was so stupid. The WR and CB's do that tug at the start. It had no bearing on the play and its done by both. Ridiculous.

I like how Jason Garret calls it out on ND, but when the WR has the same hand on the ND buys jersey he doesnt seem to be able to see it.

It was a decent ref'd game, just a few calls that seemed so petty.

Reactions: Tru2Irish
That first PI on Benji was so stupid. The WR and CB's do that tug at the start. It had no bearing on the play and its done by both. Ridiculous.

I like how Jason Garret calls it out on ND, but when the WR has the same hand on the ND buys jersey he doesnt seem to be able to see it.

It was a decent ref'd game, just a few calls that seemed so petty.
Man you could tell Williams was irrate at his o lineman for that penalty that he got a TD on and it was taken back. Very few were ticky tac though. Morrison gotta clean up his play 3 penalties by a cb is bad. He did get the pick though. More active than Lewis for sure.

I really only saw the one penalty on Benji. It was the hands to the face. Can’t do that. The hold was BS and the PI was under thrown and the WR just stopped.

Last edited:
I saw that and wondered why it didn’t get called.
A face mask penalty is a penalty EITHER WAY.

NO ONE can grab an opposing player's face mask, whether it's on O or on D. It's the same 15-yard penalty.

Man you could tell Williams was irrate at his o lineman for that penalty that he got a TD on and it was taken back. Very few were ticky tac though. Morrison gotta clean up his play 3 penalties by a cb is bad. He did get the pick though. More active than Lewis for sure.
Yes, for sure. But it was clear that, even with his ability, he was having trouble covering Jerry Rice's kid.

Yea they missed a few. I will say though, Tennessee got away with 3 pretty bad ones in the AM game. I think refs as a whole are sub par. This goes for all sports.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT