ADVERTISEMENT

intersting stat

echowaker

All Star
Feb 5, 2003
there is an article at cbssports.com about winning percentage in one score games. from 1981-2009 notre dame had a wining percentage of 53% in one score games. under brian kelly they have had a 63% winning percentage in one score games. kelly also has the third best winning percentage in one score games of all active coaches. i don't think it means much but thought it was interesting.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...ootball-coaches-in-close-games-entering-2016/

Interesting. I think it is important to be good in close games, but this might not capture the whole picture. It would count games that shouldn't be close, but for some reason end up being a one score game.
yes but who decides they shouldn't be close ? nd gets everyones A game. when nd goes on the road that is usually the homes teams biggest home game of the year. winning is tough enough without having to get style points to satisfy some. i'll take a 3-2 win every week.

Reactions: Classic Irish
there is an article at cbssports.com about winning percentage in one score games. from 1981-2009 notre dame had a wining percentage of 53% in one score games. under brian kelly they have had a 63% winning percentage in one score games. kelly also has the third best winning percentage in one score games of all active coaches. i don't think it means much but thought it was interesting.
That's one of those "facts" that can be interpreted an infinite number of ways. Ergo, it simply means what you want it to mean. Brian Kelly is a great coach in crunch time in close games. Brian Kelly is a lousy coach who plays too many close games against inferior opponents. One is just as valid, or invalid, as the other.

That's one of those "facts" that can be interpreted an infinite number of ways. Ergo, it simply means what you want it to mean. Brian Kelly is a great coach in crunch time in close games. Brian Kelly is a lousy coach who plays too many close games against inferior opponents. One is just as valid, or invalid, as the other.
exactly. thats why i think it doesn't mean much. i just care about winning. i don't really care how they get there.

yes but who decides they shouldn't be close ? nd gets everyones A game. when nd goes on the road that is usually the homes teams biggest home game of the year. winning is tough enough without having to get style points to satisfy some. i'll take a 3-2 win every week.

I think he meant games that were not close but turned into close games in garbage time, not games like BC that fans think we should've won by more than we did.

Reactions: echowaker

Summary: good wins, heart breakers and some real stinkers....

L um 28-24
L msu 34-31
W Pitt 23-17
L Tulsa 28-27
W socal 20-16

L So Fla 23-20
L um 35-31
W Pitt 15-12
W Wake Forest 24-17
W bc 16-14
L fsu 18-14

W Purdue 20-17
W um 13-6
W Stanford 20-13
W BYU 17-14
W Pitt 29-26

W Purdue 31-24
W msu 17-13
W ASU 37-34
W socal 14-10
W Navy 38-34
L Pitt 28-21
L Stanford 27-20

W Stanford 17-14
W NC 50-43
L fsu 31-27
L Northwestern 43-40
L Louisville 31-28
W LSU 31-28

W VA 34-27
W Ga Tech 30-22
L Clemson 24-22
W Temple 24-20
W BC 19-16
L Stanford 38-26

When ND wins its next national championship, I suspect we'll have some people posting that they thought the trophy would be bigger.

You should care more about HOW the team wins than simply just winning.

In baseball they use the Pythagorean theorem (http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Pythagorean_Theorem_of_Baseball) to do just that. In a nutshell, a team's run differential is far more telling of how well a team is playing more so than their actual won-loss record (which is more susceptible to luck).

You want ND to score way more points than they give up (you want ND to win BIG) as it demonstrates they are a much better team both perceptually to playoff voters AND improves their odds of winning going forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kelso86
exactly. thats why i think it doesn't mean much. i just care about winning. i don't really care how they get there.

This is incorrect thinking. It's a "beauty pageant" and style points count.

In 2015 the committee was treating us very generously. We started at # 5 in week 9. (AP had us at 8 Coaches at 9). A week later we moved to # 4 for weeks 10 and 11.

We were bounced out of the top 4 and dropped to # 6 after a W, but crappy showing vs. bc....

This is incorrect thinking. It's a "beauty pageant" and style points count.

In 2015 the committee was treating us very generously. We started at # 5 in week 9. (AP had us at 8 Coaches at 9). A week later we moved to # 4 for weeks 10 and 11.

We were bounced out of the top 4 and dropped to # 6 after a W, but crappy showing vs. bc....
i agree. but it's not incorrect thinking in my case. they just don't matter to me.

Reactions: Bodizephax

In baseball they use the Pythagorean theorem (http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Pythagorean_Theorem_of_Baseball) to do just that. In a nutshell, a team's run differential is far more telling of how well a team is playing more so than their actual won-loss record (which is more susceptible to luck).

You want ND to score way more points than they give up (you want ND to win BIG) as it demonstrates they are a much better team both perceptually to playoff voters AND improves their odds of winning going forward.
i understand the landscape. it just doesn't matter to ME.

Disagree. Beating the living daylights out of tomato cans doesn't impress me. Beating quality teams, even by small margins, impresses me. Translating MLB stats, such as run differential, doesn't work for CFB because of the huge differences in the qualities of schedules played by different schools.

Nothing would have earned more style points last year than beating Clemson on the road. Losing to Stanford sealed our playoff fate, not the lack of style points from a close game against BC.

Style points matter when they're picking the best loser. I don't want to be the best loser.

Style points likely would have mattered had we beaten Stanford. There's a very real possibility we still would've been passed over by Oklahoma.

Style points likely would have mattered had we beaten Stanford. There's a very real possibility we still would've been passed over by Oklahoma.

We may have been passed over by Oklahoma, but it wouldn't have been as a result of style points. ND and OU played one common opponent last year, Texas. I think we all know what the results of those games were.

Nothing would have earned more style points last year than beating Clemson on the road. Losing to Stanford sealed our playoff fate, not the lack of style points from a close game against BC.

Style points matter when they're picking the best loser. I don't want to be the best loser.

Our lackluster effort versus bc knocked us out of the top 4 and dropped us to 6. PS Right now porky isn't the best loser. He's just a loser......

I'll take any win, any time!

I was being a little sarcastic referring to games like UVA last year, but every successful coach/program has those in their resume.

Our lackluster effort versus bc knocked us out of the top 4 and dropped us to 6. PS Right now porky isn't the best loser. He's just a loser......

MSU beat an undefeated tOSU leaving Iowa as the only undefeated Big 10. And Oklahoma beat a one loss TCU team that the selection had well ranked early. It doesn't take rocket science to figure out what knocked us out of the top 4 that week.

Clemson and Stanford are games we could - and should - have won.

PS. I really care don't if you blame your personal friend and mentor Brian Kelly or injuries or your neighbor's dog, we didn't win enough to make the playoff last year. Kicking BC's ass wouldn't have changed that.

Last edited:
MSU beat an undefeated tOSU leaving Iowa as the only undefeated Big 10. And Oklahoma beat a one loss TCU team that the selection had well ranked early. It doesn't take rocket science to figure out what knocked us out of the top 4 that week.

Clemson and Stanford are games we could - and should - have won.

PS. I really care don't if you blame your personal friend and mentor Brian Kelly or injuries or your neighbor's dog, we didn't win enough to make the playoff last year. Kicking BC's ass wouldn't have changed that.

Wrong....

Iowa beat Purdue who was 2-8 at the time 40-20 to move up one spot to # 4.…

Pre bc weekend:
Iowa was 1 slot behind us in the CFP rankings.
msu was 5 slots behind us.
Oklahoma was 3 slots behind us.

A solid whooping of bc would have helped us tread water at 4. As it was our lackluster effort dropped us in the poll allowing those behind us to leap frog us…

Iowa went from 5 to 4. Oklahoma jumped from 7 to 3. msu went from 9 to 5. We fell from 4-6.

Had ND done the job versus bc there’s no way Iowa jumps us to #4 on the strength of a Purdue win….

It would have been ‘bama, Clemson, Oklahoma, ND….

PS Mr. Potato Head choked away the Clemson and Stanford games. He stinks.

If Kelly was coach in 2009 Nd would have won all 12 regular season games. ND was 6 and 6 that year but lost all 6 games by one score.

Reactions: Pennick44
Wrong....

Iowa beat Purdue who was 2-8 at the time 40-20 to move up one spot to # 4.…

Pre bc weekend:
Iowa was 1 slot behind us in the CFP rankings.
msu was 5 slots behind us.
Oklahoma was 3 slots behind us.

A solid whooping of bc would have helped us tread water at 4. As it was our lackluster effort dropped us in the poll allowing those behind us to leap frog us…

Iowa went from 5 to 4. Oklahoma jumped from 7 to 3. msu went from 9 to 5. We fell from 4-6.

Had ND done the job versus bc there’s no way Iowa jumps us to #4 on the strength of a Purdue win….

It would have been ‘bama, Clemson, Oklahoma, ND….

PS Mr. Potato Head choked away the Clemson and Stanford games. He stinks.
sad and pathetic.

Reactions: IRISHJD98

There is far more to this story that was discussed yesterday in the press. Namely the winning percentages of coaches that run v. pass. Of the last 10 NC winning teams, each ran the ball 60%+ per game. When coach 8 & 4 runs 54% or less we are a terrible team. A very under performing team. When he runs the ball 55% or more, ND is a completely different team. A very successful, winning team. 8 & 4 gets off of the game plan way too early in games and it's very costly. He knows this. Has been shown the stats and still moves off the game plan. We can only hope the assistant coaches can keep him away from the play calling. 8 & 4 is fine Sunday through Friday, it's Saturday that is very troubling. Now you know why 8 & 4 is really just an 8 & 4 coach.

Reactions: HuddleBurger
There is far more to this story that was discussed yesterday in the press. Namely the winning percentages of coaches that run v. pass. Of the last 10 NC winning teams, each ran the ball 60%+ per game. When coach 8 & 4 runs 54% or less we are a terrible team. A very under performing team. When he runs the ball 55% or more, ND is a completely different team. A very successful, winning team. 8 & 4 gets off of the game plan way too early in games and it's very costly. He knows this. Has been shown the stats and still moves off the game plan. We can only hope the assistant coaches can keep him away from the play calling. 8 & 4 is fine Sunday through Friday, it's Saturday that is very troubling. Now you know why 8 & 4 is really just an 8 & 4 coach.

The same old tired (and erroneous) lament from this fraud.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Not an ND alum or fan^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Reactions: Bodizephax
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Not an ND alum or fan^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
13056183.jpg

That could not be any more misleading. Do you win because you run the ball more? Or do run the ball more because you are winning? Just about every team, including us, primarily runs the ball when leading, especially when leading by a controlling margin. That doesn't imply at all that they won BECAUSE they ran the ball more, all it means is that at the end of the game they had run more than they passed.

like last year right ?

Keep your sense of humor.

PS Dean Roemer to me, "I am not going to punish you for that. It was funny. When you leave this office act remorseful for a couple of weeks." As I walked out, "Hey C.., keep your sense of humor". We were pals for years... He found me to be very entertaining...

God bless the greatest Dean in ND history.....

52095b199e219.image.jpg

Keep your sense of humor.

PS Dean Roemer to me, "I am not going to punish you for that. It was funny. When you leave this office act remorseful for a couple of weeks." As I walked out, "Hey C.., keep your sense of humor". We were pals for years... He found me to be very entertaining...

God bless the greatest Dean in ND history.....

52095b199e219.image.jpg
dean wormer ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT