ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting fact I just learned

lyonhawk

ND Expert
Sep 8, 2003
In an article on CBS Sports, it was mentioned that this will be the first time we've played Stanford when we were both in the top 10 and Stanford will be the first top 10 opponent to come to ND Stadium in the Brian Kelly era.

In an article on CBS Sports, it was mentioned that this will be the first time we've played Stanford when we were both in the top 10 and Stanford will be the first top 10 opponent to come to ND Stadium in the Brian Kelly era.
Hard to believe. Especially the part about top ten in ND stadium. Oklahoma in 2013? Guess not. Georgia last year?

Hard to believe. Especially the part about top ten in ND stadium. Oklahoma in 2013? Guess not. Georgia last year?

It’s at the time of the game. UGA was like 20th or something.
But if you count teams that have finished top 10 (what really matters) ND has played & beat top 10 teams at ND under Kelly. My favorite was probably the 13-1, Rose Bowl winning MSU. ND was their only loss.

Bizarre when you consider Georgia, Oklahoma, Louisville, and teams like USC, Michigan and Michigan State playing multiple games at ND in that time frame.

This is indeed surprising and would suggest ND is not playing elite teams. However, it's not for lack of trying. schedules are being made years in advance when nobody has any idea who will be good. Take this year for example. When the schedule was released years ago I remember people cringing at the thought of playing Michigan, Stanford, Florida State, and USC. Fast forward to now the only team that is top 10 Worthy is Stanford.

Reactions: theskibro
Bizarre when you consider Georgia, Oklahoma, Louisville, and teams like USC, Michigan and Michigan State playing multiple games at ND in that time frame.

Really only Bama, Ohio State, and recently Clemson will get top 10 status just because of their name (like ND, Michigan, and USC used to get). The rest are all good programs but their preseason rankings will just be the usual glance at last year's final ranking and bump for a Heisman hopeful.

The last top-10 game ND hosted was USC in 2005. The last top-10 home matchup ND won was Florida State in 1993. I think I watched Rudy before that game, in the theaters. So yea, we're due for a win.

Reactions: 88ND
Just a coincidental stat.

Question..
How many top ten teams has Brian Kelly beat in his career?

He's 1-5 against top ten at time of the game while coach of Notre Dame.

The last top-10 game ND hosted was USC in 2005. The last top-10 home matchup ND won was Florida State in 1993. I think I watched Rudy before that game, in the theaters. So yea, we're due for a win.

I presume this is a very rare undefeated clash with our PAC rivals in October. 2005, 2009, and 2017 (and probably some yrs I am forgetting) all had one team get nicked in an upset just before the game in SB.

Just a coincidental stat.

Question..
How many top ten teams has Brian Kelly beat in his career?

He's 1-5 against top ten at time of the game while coach of Notre Dame.

He has 2 wins vs. top 10 teams while at ND. MSU and OU, both in 2012. He's also lost @FSU, @Stanford x2, @Miami, and bowl games against Bama/OSU. So he's 2-6 against the top 10 with 6 of the games being true road games, one being the national championship, and one being the Fiesta Bowl. That's a brutal slate for anyone, and I don't think there are many coaches going to win more than 2 games against it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT