ADVERTISEMENT

In Honor of the BYE Week - Looking Ahead to 2019

FriedmanIP

Posts Like A Champion
Gold Member
Mar 8, 2018
Pretty crazy how experienced this roster could be for 2019, given that the team is already good this season. Obviously, we don't know who is going to go to the NFL early, if anyone, but it's quite possible the 2019 depth chart looks like this:

, = Order on the depth chart
/ = Tied on the depth chart
[Bolded] = Returning starter (at least 5 starts)

QB - Book , Jurkovec
RB - Armstrong , Jones / Davis , J. Smith
WRx - Claypool / Austin , Lenzy
WRw - Boykin / Austin , M. Jones
Slot - Finke , Young / Keys
TE - Kmet / Wright , Tremble / Tacaks
LT - Eichenberg , Patterson
LG - Banks , Dirksen
C - Ruhland , Gibbons
RG - Kreamer / Lugg
RT - Hainsey / Lugg

SDE - Kareem , Ogendeji , Ja. Jones
NT - Hinish , Franklin / Dew-Treadway
DT - Tagovailoa-Amosa / Ja. Ademilola
DROP - Okwara / Hayes , Ju. Ademilola / Wardlow
MLB - Jon Jones / Bauer / Lamb
BUCK - Heath-Genmark / Bilal / Simon
ROVER - Owusu-Karmara / Bilal / Simon
CBf - Pride , Bracy / Crawford
CBb - Love , Vaughn / Boykin
NB - Griffith / Crawford
FS - Elliott / Griffith
SS - Gilman , Allen

First, the only one listed there that I've seen getting enough to attention to consider jumping early is Julian Love. Only other observations are I think Bilal has improved a ton and don't see him not starting next year, and our D-Line depth is the best I can remember it.

Reactions: IrishMike409
First, the only one listed there that I've seen getting enough to attention to consider jumping early is Julian Love. Only other observations are I think Bilal has improved a ton and don't see him not starting next year, and our D-Line depth is the best I can remember it.

It's possible that Love or any of the DE's could go, but I personally doubt that any actually do.

Also, I agree that Bilal has improved a lot, and I think he could/should continue to do so. But I'm REALLY high on both Heath-Genmark and Simon as well (plus Owusu-Kamara at Rover). It think we could see a major time share among those guys.

I would absolutely LOVE the competition and depth that would exist with this defense
(although we'd be a bit thinner than I'd ideally like at DT)

What has me worried the most are RB and LB. We'll head into next year with more experience at RB than this year -- but with the loss of Dex -- less talent. I've liked what I've seen from Jafar so far this year, but he doesn't have the explosiveness that Dex does.
Both talent and experience at linebacker will also take a nosedive; going from two All-American caliber backers in Coney and Tranquill to one returning starter (albeit one that's shown significant improvement) makes it tough for me to envision the same amount of production. I think both Bauer and Simon can turn into great players, but they won't be there at the start (or maybe even end) of next year.

Pretty crazy how experienced this roster could be for 2019, given that the team is already good this season. Obviously, we don't know who is going to go to the NFL early, if anyone, but it's quite possible the 2019 depth chart looks like this:

QB - Book , Jurkovec
LG - Banks , Dirksen
C - Ruhland , Gibbons
RG - Kreamer / Lugg
RT - Hainsey / Lugg

NB - Griffith / Crawford
FS - Elliott / Griffith
SS - Gilman , Allen

Looks about right outside of Bilal. He'll either start at rover or move inside to start. Joe Wilkins is the #2 WR out of the freshman class right now behind Kevin Austin. I'm not sure that Keys or Lenzy jump him on the depth chart in 2019. He's very underrated coming out of the talent pool in Florida... Very Kevin Stepherson'esque, IMO.

Another thing I'd like to see is Robert Hainsey moved to center and a new right tackle emerge. I think the offensive line will be an issue if Trevor Ruhland is a starter and not the 6th man.... IMO, the perfect offensive line would be...

LT: Liam Eichenberg
LG: Aaron Banks
C: Robert Hainsey
RG: Tommy Kraemer
RT: Jarrett Patterson / Josh Lugg

Kareem could go if he wants. Probably a mid rounder. Luckily for us this may be the best DL draft in a long time, if not ever. I could see him sticking around another year and working his way to the first round.

Looks about right outside of Bilal. He'll either start at rover or move inside to start. Joe Wilkins is the #2 WR out of the freshman class right now behind Kevin Austin. I'm not sure that Keys or Lenzy jump him on the depth chart in 2019. He's very underrated coming out of the talent pool in Florida... Very Kevin Stepherson'esque, IMO.

Another thing I'd like to see is Robert Hainsey moved to center and a new right tackle emerge. I think the offensive line will be an issue if Trevor Ruhland is a starter and not the 6th man.... IMO, the perfect offensive line would be...

Any word on how Ewell is doing after moving to offense?

Also, thinking Jayson Ademiola will fight for the starting spot next year.

What has me worried the most are RB and LB. We'll head into next year with more experience at RB than this year -- but with the loss of Dex -- less talent. I've liked what I've seen from Jafar so far this year, but he doesn't have the explosiveness that Dex does.
Both talent and experience at linebacker will also take a nosedive; going from two All-American caliber backers in Coney and Tranquill to one returning starter (albeit one that's shown significant improvement) makes it tough for me to envision the same amount of production. I think both Bauer and Simon can turn into great players, but they won't be there at the start (or maybe even end) of next year.

I'm comfortable with Armstrong as a good starter at RB, with Jones as a solid rotational/backup guy.

I could see any of Davis, Smith, or Fleminster emerging as a major rotational RB too
(I think Davis will make major improvements with another off-season at RB)

I completely disagree with you on talent at LB. We may have more overall talent and depth at LB than we do this year.......even though we'll certainly have less experience and proven production.

I think this is a GREAT group of talent
  • Bauer (Mike)
  • Jon Jones (Mike or Buck)
  • Lamb (Mike OR Buck)
  • Heath-Genmark (Buck)
  • Bilal (Rover OR Buck)
  • Simon (Rover OR Buck)
  • Owusu-Kamara (Rover)

Agree, I'd prefer that lineup....with Lugg being the starter at RT and Patterson being the #3 OT (on both sides)

One thing that I LOVE about the OL situation though, similar to the LB situation, is that whoever wins each of these starting spots is going to have to do so by beating out multiple other talented & experienced players (no default starters + depth)

Could lose five (maybe 6) from the d: Tillery, Coney, Tranquil, Love, Kareem, (and I've heard Okwara's name mentioned too!)

Could lose five (maybe 6) from the d: Tillery, Coney, Tranquil, Love, Kareem, (and I've heard Okwara's name mentioned too!)

It's incredibly unlikely that all of Love, Kareem, and Okwara leave

Currently, I'd be pretty surprised if any of them leave

Currently, Love is the only 1 that would go before Day 3

Bauer will start over Jones.

I think they will both play a lot. As will Simon and Genmark-Heath at Buck. I think you'll see a lot of rotation at linebacker in the spring and early next season until the 2 starters are settled. Regardless, it's going to be a rebuild year at DT, NG and both ILB positions. There is talent there, but it has to be a drop off when you lose players like Tillery, Tranquil and Coney. They'll need great safety play and leadership out of a pair of seniors, Elliot and Gilman, while they sort it out and get settled in.

IMO, the story of 2019's team will be...

ROVER: Asmar Bilal / Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah / Derrik Allen
MIKE: Jonathan Jones / Bo Bauer
BUCK: Jordan Genmark-Heath / Shayne Simon

There is a lot of talent there, but it's all inexperienced. How Clark Lea sorts that out and develops those guys will likely be the story of the defense next year.

Does anyone predict Crawford coming back? Poor guy has been our Job.

Does anyone predict Crawford coming back? Poor guy has been our Job.

It really depends on how he comes back from another knee... Tranquil came back from 2 ACLs and managed to be a really high end player. Crawford could be 6 year guy if he wanted to be given that he's had 3 seasons wiped out by injury, but one has to wonder, after 2 ACLs and an achilles, can you get your explosion and change of direction back as a DB and re-emerge as a high end NB who can cover slot receivers?...

I'm cheering my ass off for the kid. By all accounts you couldn't ask for a better young man... But that's hard. I don't have high hopes at this point. Would be soooooooo pumped to wrong and see him make it all the way back.

Losing Tillery tranquill, and Coney is going to hurt big time. I don't think any current or incoming DT can impact the game like Tillery has. At LB I think Lamb, Bauer, and Simon have potential to be very good, but will be so young and inexperienced next year. I'm not high on Jones, as he doesn't even play rotationally. Genmark-Heath is difficult to project as he's transitioning to LB. If ND could add a DT or LB via the JUCO schools(I know they won't do that) or a 5th year guy, that can start right away and produce, then I'd take him.

QB - Book , Jurkovec
LG - Banks , Dirksen
C - Ruhland , Gibbons
RG - Kreamer / Lugg
RT - Hainsey / Lugg

NB - Griffith / Crawford
FS - Elliott / Griffith
SS - Gilman , Allen
You've got Hinish bolded but he has never started. I bring it up because the middle of our D is going to make or break our season next year with the lack of experience.

Hinish has a motor but he gets pushed around and flat out doesn't make plays. Still young so he has a chance
Amosa has shown flashes, need him to be healthy and develop
Ja Ademilola is going to be a really good one. Needs more strength and better play recognition, he takes wrong gap every now and then
Franklin/Lacy, one or both need to be ready and step up.

Bilal has improved but he still is absolutely awful when he's not 100% sure what to do, and that still happens a lot. When he reads a play correctly he is a stud, but he mis reads plays way too much still
Need Bauer to step up as Jones hasn't shown a knack for the ball at all
Simon i think will make huge leaps late this season and into next season and become the best LB on the team next year

I agree with ontario, Hainsey is not a Tackle at this level of football. Too small and weak, but athletic. Need Lugg or Paterson to take over for him and hopefully he can move to center.

You've got Hinish bolded but he has never started. I bring it up because the middle of our D is going to make or break our season next year with the lack of experience.

Hinish has a motor but he gets pushed around and flat out doesn't make plays. Still young so he has a chance
Amosa has shown flashes, need him to be healthy and develop
Ja Ademilola is going to be a really good one. Needs more strength and better play recognition, he takes wrong gap every now and then
Franklin/Lacy, one or both need to be ready and step up.

Bilal has improved but he still is absolutely awful when he's not 100% sure what to do, and that still happens a lot. When he reads a play correctly he is a stud, but he mis reads plays way too much still
Need Bauer to step up as Jones hasn't shown a knack for the ball at all
Simon i think will make huge leaps late this season and into next season and become the best LB on the team next year

I agree with ontario, Hainsey is not a Tackle at this level of football. Too small and weak, but athletic. Need Lugg or Paterson to take over for him and hopefully he can move to center.

I believe Hinish started against Pitt and that he’s going to continue to make starts this season, as he’s pushing past Bonner. We completely disagree on his ability.

I also like the “flashes” I’ve seen from Jon Jones and Heath-Genmark, but obviously we’ll need to see more of them.

I agree that the middle of the defense is going to be the key next year, especially the DT positions, but we’ll have solid experience and talent amongst the starters in Hinish and MTA.

I believe Hinish started against Pitt and that he’s going to continue to make starts this season, as he’s pushing past Bonner. We completely disagree on his ability.

I also like the “flashes” I’ve seen from Jon Jones and Heath-Genmark, but obviously we’ll need to see more of them.

I agree that the middle of the defense is going to be the key next year, especially the DT positions, but we’ll have solid experience and talent amongst the starters in Hinish and MTA.
Bonner started vs Pitt but Hinish got a little more burn than normal. Bonner has not impressed me either, especially since he is rarely double teamed.

I want Hinish to be good because of his motor. Whenever he seems to get penetration is tends to be opposite of where the ball is going, that tells me teams are taking him where they want him to go, and he's not blowing up any runs. 7 tackles on the year, and 12 for bonner, stats don't lie, need more out of that position.

I see more potential in Genmark than Jones, but I don't see the aggressiveness, you know that linebacker mentality from Genmark yet.

Either way, middle of the D will be the biggest ? mark going into next year, if we get everyone back it might be the only $ mark other than kicker.

Losing Tillery tranquill, and Coney is going to hurt big time. I don't think any current or incoming DT can impact the game like Tillery has. At LB I think Lamb, Bauer, and Simon have potential to be very good, but will be so young and inexperienced next year. I'm not high on Jones, as he doesn't even play rotationally. Genmark-Heath is difficult to project as he's transitioning to LB. If ND could add a DT or LB via the JUCO schools(I know they won't do that) or a 5th year guy, that can start right away and produce, then I'd take him.
I kinda like jones when he plays, bauer needs to relaaaaax. Plays way too fast imo, which can be coached up.

Kinda like a young Coney?

Jack Lamb was a top 100 guy. Any word on him.

In a perfect world for me Lamb moves to DROP to fill the hole spot in the 2018 class where ND missed. In the long run I think Justin Ademilola is the SDE from that class.

Watching Lamb's film I thought the two best parts of his game were his pass rush (great first step) and his coverage, ehich was noted as elite at The Opening... I don't see him as an exceptionally instinctual guy that will work his way through traffic as a linebacker.

At 6'4, 230lbs, he easily has the frame to be 250lbs at the drop position, where his attributes can be best used... ND only plays with two true linebackers (Buck and Mike) and I like Bauer better at linebacker from the 2018 class.

In a perfect world for me Lamb moves to DROP to fill the hole spot in the 2018 class where ND missed. In the long run I think Justin Ademilola is the SDE from that class.

Watching Lamb's film I thought the two best parts of his game were his pass rush (great first step) and his coverage, ehich was noted as elite at The Opening... I don't see him as an exceptionally instinctual guy that will work his way through traffic as a linebacker.

At 6'4, 230lbs, he easily has the frame to be 250lbs at the drop position, where his attributes can be best used... ND only plays with two true linebackers (Buck and Mike) and I like Bauer better at linebacker from the 2018 class.

Agree 100% on Lamb to Drop.

I’d love to read about that move during bowl prep or spring ball.

Seems to make too much sense, both for him personally and our overall roster makeup.

Agree 100% on Lamb to Drop.

I’d love to read about that move during bowl prep or spring ball.

Seems to make too much sense, both for him personally and our overall roster makeup.
Yep, we need to get some PT from our starting 2020 Drop in 2019. So hopefully Lamb make the move and Nana comes in and is good enough to get some reps. I also would not be surprised to see Justin Ademilola stay at drop. I think with Justin only being 6'2, he may not have the height for SDE. But his brother is only an inch or two taller and 40-50lbs heavier so Justin could outgrow the drop position. Right now, he is flashing some potential similar to daelin hayes early in his career.

ND years past have struggled defensively because new starters had very little playing time, then all of a sudden they are starting. 2019 is a year to build depth at drop for 2020.

Damn this thread is so refreshing to read.

Agree on the commentary and possible changes to the O-line
Agree on Lamb being a possible good shift to Drop-end
Agree on the interior D-line being essential

Damn this thread is so refreshing to read.

Agree on the commentary and possible changes to the O-line
Agree on Lamb being a possible good shift to Drop-end
Agree on the interior D-line being essential

I don't even buy Green Bananas so it's hard to care much about 2019 speculation at this juncture. :):):)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT