ADVERTISEMENT

In 1991, Fuller is a Heisman finalist

theskibro

I've posted how many times?
Aug 24, 2003
Sure, who cares about 20 years ago. Point is. Times have changed. There really is not much difference in Rocket's second place finish to an undeserving byu guy than the talent Fuller brings in 2015 except:

1 speed is about same, maybe Rocket had a split sec more
2 fuller is a better receiver
3 rocket was the master of vision, and could punt or kick return one to the house every touch
4 punt returners had more time to return back in 91
5 fuller is not used in these other roles but if he was, he would be in the Heisman conversation. Apparently, coaches today play it safe and don't risk losing their star

What would happen today if Tim brown or rocket were on the 2015 team? Would they be one dimensional or allowed to get the ball as much as Lou gave it to them?

Interesting question. If fuller was on one of Lou's teams, would he be in the Heisman conversation?

Which coaching philosophy is right?

Last edited:
Reactions: notredamerises23
ND has two of the top three most talented offensive players in the nation.

1. Fournette
2. Fuller
3. Prosise

I think these three guys in a landslide are the best players in the country.

I like reading your posts, ski, & I'm not arguing that Fuller wouldn't have been a Heisman candidate back in '90-'91, but to say that Detmer was undeserving is absurd, imo. Don't get we wrong, Rocket was amazing & I wouldn't have argued if he would've won it, but Detmer was an awesome college QB & was plenty deserving. Now, if you want to rip a Heisman winner, try the following year, when Torretta won it by throwing a bunch of jump balls to Horace Copeland, Lamar Thomas & Kevin Williams. Meanwhile, Reggie Brooks was tearing up the country to a tune of about 8-9 yds a carry. That was the real Heisman travesty.

Reactions: 88ND
There is a big difference in your comparison. Lou Holtz. He spent so much time on special teams. It was part of his offense he felt. How many big games over his years did ND win because of special teams? Several. In fact against Michigan alone ND won two games in the Holtz era because of special teams alone. Possibly 3.
With so many athletes on ND 2015 i wish BK would spend more time on special teams.
Spending time on special teams is a lost art. One in which I feel we are missing a huge opportunity.

There is a big difference in your comparison. Lou Holtz. He spent so much time on special teams. It was part of his offense he felt. How many big games over his years did ND win because of special teams? Several. In fact against Michigan alone ND won two games in the Holtz era because of special teams alone. Possibly 3.
With so many athletes on ND 2015 i wish BK would spend more time on special teams.
Spending time on special teams is a lost art. One in which I feel we are missing a huge opportunity.
J

Good poin about Lou and special teams 88

Francade. Yeah Detmer was good. I really wanted Rocket to win it. And Rocket was a vetted pro than Detmer

He was one of a kind

Will Fuller should be a Heisman finalist in 2015, for heaven's sake! He's the heart and soul of the Irish offense! As long as he stays healthy, the Irish always have a chance to win!

He's played 3 games this season! How can anyone state who should be a Heisman finalist. Let's at least wait until game 8 or so and see what everyone's stats are at that point.

wouldn't completely count him out this year yet. not a lot of hype as no qb's at all are lock finalists at this point. only person I think is a lock is Fornette from LSU and the running back at Georgia and with his injury history even that isn't really a lock.

this could be the year for the surprise...few guys nobody at the moment is thinking of for the Heisman could at least get a trip to New York. Jordan Howard currently at IU? Jaylon? its possible

I like reading your posts, ski, & I'm not arguing that Fuller wouldn't have been a Heisman candidate back in '90-'91, but to say that Detmer was undeserving is absurd, imo. Don't get we wrong, Rocket was amazing & I wouldn't have argued if he would've won it, but Detmer was an awesome college QB & was plenty deserving. Now, if you want to rip a Heisman winner, try the following year, when Torretta won it by throwing a bunch of jump balls to Horace Copeland, Lamar Thomas & Kevin Williams. Meanwhile, Reggie Brooks was tearing up the country to a tune of about 8-9 yds a carry. That was the real Heisman travesty.
Ty detmer won the Heisman with gaudy numbers against bad WAC opponents. He had one quality win where his numbers weren't great. He lost to f'n Hawaii that year. He would throw 50 times a game against teams like New Mexico, when even teams like Spurrier's gators only threw in the 25-30 range. The vote was an anti-ND vote. It was political.

Reactions: Bodizephax
Mygsuk, he threw for 400 yds & 3 tds to beat #1 ranked Miami that year. If that's what u consider "not that great", you have pretty high standards. But you're right, byu's schedule wasn't great and rocket was deserving. My only point was that calling him "undeserving" of the award was a little over the top. He had finished 3rd the year before and won numerous qb & player of the year awards that year. I agree that rocket could've gotten it, but detmer was a great college qb and plenty deserving.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT