ADVERTISEMENT

Impact if all players are dismissed for good

Really ? Faulting the state trooper ? Sad.
Echo. Sad ? Really ? I am not questioning the trooper at all for pulling them over but think about it.
1- 73 in a 60 ... that's an everyday occurrence.
2- The cop smelled weed so he had to bring in the dogs ???
The trooper did his job I guess but it's a bit excessive. Lets just say that if it were an off duty cop that guy would have drove off into the sunset.
The players deserved what the got . They screwed up but don't think cops do this kind of search as standard procedure all the time.

Reactions: perseverare
Echo. Sad ? Really ? I am not questioning the trooper at all for pulling them over but think about it.
The trooper did his job I guess but it's a bit excessive. Lets just say that if it were an off duty cop that guy would have drove off into the sunset.
The players deserved what the got . They screwed up but don't think cops do this kind of search as standard procedure all the time.
So what are you trying to say?

Welcome to the real world,no matter who the school is,there are immature,self centered dumbasses,who have been coddled and carried through hs and are above reproach ...they are the first nor the last, if you want to compete a the highest level you take a chance on a few.

Yes, the smell of weed is probable cause. Any cop worth his weight would have done the same thing. If you don't want to get stopped, then don't do 73 in a 60 late at night. I can't believe we have people criticizing and questioning the police for doing their job.When should they make a stop? Maybe we should take a vote on it and get back to the PD. The focus is on the players, the weed, and the illegal gun. Not the cop. And if the cop didn't make the stop and the illegal gun was used in a crime or the driver under the influence caused a deadly accident, some of you would have been the first to bitch.

Reactions: Irish Grandeur
instead of everyone jumping on them. why don't we wait for the complete details of the arrests. Like did everyone test positive and who's gun was it... I hate to see max go...but i'm sure coach had his reasons...

Reactions: greengael
^ gun? drugs?

the issue, for the staff, regarding Max ultimately came down to trust and confidence in his judgement. Exhausted, they had little choice.

Yes, the smell of weed is probable cause. Any cop worth his weight would have done the same thing. If you don't want to get stopped, then don't do 73 in a 60 late at night. I can't believe we have people criticizing and questioning the police for doing their job.When should they make a stop? Maybe we should take a vote on it and get back to the PD. The focus is on the players, the weed, and the illegal gun. Not the cop. And if the cop didn't make the stop and the illegal gun was used in a crime or the driver under the influence caused a deadly accident, some of you would have been the first to bitch.
Toby I am not saying the cop was wrong at all. All I am saying is that many people drive 15 miles over the speed limit and never get pulled over. The smell of weed could have resulted in a citation or nothing for that matter.... just saying that it's never consistant with the police. That is a fact.. Yes the cop was doing his job. This was the "wrong cop at the wrong time for them" They made their bed and have to lay in it. not making excuses or criticizing the police officer .

Toby I am not saying the cop was wrong at all. All I am saying is that many people drive 15 miles over the speed limit and never get pulled over. The smell of weed could have resulted in a citation or nothing for that matter.... just saying that it's never consistant with the police. That is a fact.. Yes the cop was doing his job. This was the "wrong cop at the wrong time for them" They made their bed and have to lay in it. not making excuses or criticizing the police officer .

You left out wrong place.

US 31 is very heavily patrolled. Troopers write a lot of tickets. Something many might not know is that Fulton and Miami counties (the Fantastic Five were arrested in Fulton County) have some of the highest areas in the state for meth production - and Indiana has lead the nation in meth lab seizures in recent years. US 31 is the main transportation artery through both. To fight a quickly growing problem, the state provides the area with extra funding to specifically patrol US 31. Each summer county and state police conduct an intense 3 day blitz patrolling US 31 in Fulton and Miami county, and its amazing how many arrests they make for all types of drugs in that short period. But the area is patrolled much more than others all year long (they even keep more narcotics dogs in the area).

If you're serious about wondering why the cop just didn't ignore the smell of weed, you might read the linked article below from June of this year. Most likely, the Trooper was concerned about more stuff than weed when he pulled over 5 young males riding 5 deep in Ford Focus, out of state plates (I assume), out of state driver's licenses, after dark on a Friday night, and with the smell of weed coming from the car. To top it off, they were all probable nervous as hell when they saw the lights come on and realize they were in crapstorm of trouble when they got back to campus. No way they were getting a pass there. I don't care who the Trooper was.

http://www.indianaeconomicdigest.net/main.asp?SectionID=31&subsectionID=205&articleID=79495

A taste of what they find driving through Fulton County on US 31: http://www.wkvi.com/2016/06/lsd-cocaine-meth-allegedly-found-fulton-county-traffic-stop/

Here's one on this year's "blitz" in the same area:
http://www.kokomotribune.com/news/d...cle_2d23b712-3c94-11e6-9d28-d31cbf89fb8f.html

Last edited:
Reactions: greengael
OK. Let's put it this way. My son is a Fed now. Before that he was a patrol officer, detective, state officer, and part time college teacher dealing with Criminal Justice. When he speaks, I listen. Probable cause means probable cause. Any cop would have did the search or called the dog unless he or she was lazy. This according to someone who has been there and done that. You do 73 in a 60 with a cop around late at night and you are bringing attention to yourself. And, let's not forget that these little angels that some are trying their best to justify were armed with an illegal firearm. As a long time legal permit to carry guy, I personally take offense to that. Not to mention that it is against university policy to have any weapons on university property which more than likely they did. For now, I am giving the benefit of the doubt to the police. Let all the facts play out. Give the players their day in court and then we can do more than speculate.

OK. Let's put it this way. My son is a Fed now. Before that he was a patrol officer, detective, state officer, and part time college teacher dealing with Criminal Justice. When he speaks, I listen. Probable cause means probable cause. Any cop would have did the search or called the dog unless he or she was lazy. This according to someone who has been there and done that. You do 73 in a 60 with a cop around late at night and you are bringing attention to yourself. And, let's not forget that these little angels that some are trying their best to justify were armed with an illegal firearm. As a long time legal permit to carry guy, I personally take offense to that. Not to mention that it is against university policy to have any weapons on university property which more than likely they did. For now, I am giving the benefit of the doubt to the police. Let all the facts play out. Give the players their day in court and then we can do more than speculate.
you are right.

Does anyone know why they where in Fulton County about 50 miles south of campus? I drive that way to come up for games from Indy area and there is absolutely nothing there but cornfields until they get to Indy. Partying in Indy?

Doing 13 miles over the speed limit with a tail light out at 10pm. I think the trooper was doing his job.

Does anyone know why they where in Fulton County about 50 miles south of campus? I drive that way to come up for games from Indy area and there is absolutely nothing there but cornfields until they get to Indy. Partying in Indy?

curious: was that Ragone's route?

Doing 13 miles over the speed limit with a tail light out at 10pm. I think the trooper was doing his job.
I agree . That is not what I was trying to say. That is not unusual to go 15 MPH of the speed limit and never get pulled over..... bad luck but you make your own luck in life. these boys made a huge mistake and have to live with it forever.

Reactions: echowaker
there is a thread on TOS covering the S recruiting the past few years. It was a real eye opener.

After reading that thread, ND better have a super great pass rush!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT