ADVERTISEMENT

Imagine the heights this program would be at if

irishcatman

Posts Like A Champion
Dec 5, 2004
Trevor Lawrence were our QB....He singlehandedly won Clemson that game with his passing AND running...That kid is a generational, once-in-a-lifetime game changer...nothing against Book, but that Lawrence is simply put..the BEST QB l've ever seen in a college uniform..including Joe Burrow...thoughts?

Clemson is a world class program and they are clicking on all cylinders right now ... their success goes beyond any one great player.

This same coaching staff developed deshaun watson into one of the best players in college football as well.

I disagree with the premise that Trevor Lawrence can single handedly correct all the mistakes of the notre dame football program and single handedly turn them into a clemson-esque juggernaut.

Lawrence wouldn't have anywhere near the supporting cast at ND he has at Clemson (world class coaching staff & coordinators, championship level roster, etc.) and all of those factors need to be in place to optimize the development and production of a player.

Last edited:
Trevor Lawrence were our QB....He singlehandedly won Clemson that game with his passing AND running...That kid is a generational, once-in-a-lifetime game changer...nothing against Book, but that Lawrence is simply put..the BEST QB l've ever seen in a college uniform..including Joe Burrow...thoughts?

So it’s your position that ND would have won the Michigan game with Trevor at the helm.

He barely completed 50% of his passes in great conditions, indoors, against Ohio State.

My only take on what if that successful player was on our team would mean you would also need that coaching staff that developed them aswell jmo

Reactions: G_a_r_y and 88ND
So it’s your position that ND would have won the Michigan game with Trevor at the helm.

He barely completed 50% of his passes in great conditions, indoors, against Ohio State.
My position is we beat Georgia with Lawrence. Michigan game is much closer with Lawrence. And we dominated in our other wins by a wider margin with Lawrence.

Lawrence is one of the greatest college quarterbacks who ever lived

Reactions: nemeth#5

so is Fields! this is going to be a rivalry like Manning/Brady

Yep exactly..forget the completion percentage per say, it's the MENTALITY, and toughness, he completes the passes WHEN he has to..

You don’t think ND tried to recruit Lawrence? I’m sure they were on him, and I’m confident that he just wasn’t interested. Midwest cold, mandatory class, challenging courses, dorm living.....those things just don’t appeal to most football prodigies and surefire 1st round picks.

Lawrence was simply interested in what school would best keep him on his certain NFL trajectory. If you believe anything different, then there’s nothing I can do to help you.

ND was never an option for him.

Reactions: Pennick4
You are correct we were a game changer at QB away from a legit shot last year ... we had a championship level defense, a very good special teams unit, game breaker at RB ... give us Lawrence at QB plus Stepherson and EQ to throw to and we are at that next level. That’s not so far fetched a scenario.

so is Fields! this is going to be a rivalry like Manning/Brady
While anyone should take your post with a grain of salt, disagree on Fields. Fields has all the same tools, but he needs a running game to make him dangerous. Clemon's run game was shut down last night and Lawrence was successful enough.

You are correct we were a game changer at QB away from a legit shot last year ... we had a championship level defense, a very good special teams unit, game breaker at RB ... give us Lawrence at QB plus Stepherson and EQ to throw to and we are at that next level. That’s not so far fetched a scenario.
That would have been interesting. Too bad it wasn't reality

Right now -- I like Burrow a little better (he looks like an NFL product, not that TL doesn't!) But he is two years older than Lawrence and it shows with his muscle. Once TR puts on a few pounds... That said, I'm splitting hairs -- TL is just a winner (they are both so good) -- gonna be a great final game this year.

Watching yesterday, I realized that I've been over-hyping Ian Book. Great kid. Solid game manager. Doesn't turn the ball over. But just doesn't have the gun (and size) of those guys. I am all for Ian coming back for his 5th to lead this team. I truly believe Book is our best chance to get back to the Champ Series, but...

I do remember Phil's high school highlights -- and he is every bit the runner Trevor is! Kid was very very fast. I wonder how all of this will play out -- ND QBs...

Right now -- I like Burrow a little better (he looks like an NFL product, not that TL doesn't!) But he is two years older than Lawrence and it shows with his muscle. Once TR puts on a few pounds... That said, I'm splitting hairs -- TL is just a winner (they are both so good) -- gonna be a great final game this year.

Watching yesterday, I realized that I've been over-hyping Ian Book. Great kid. Solid game manager. Doesn't turn the ball over. But just doesn't have the gun (and size) of those guys. I am all for Ian coming back for his 5th to lead this team. I truly believe Book is our best chance to get back to the Champ Series, but...

I do remember Phil's high school highlights -- and he is every bit the runner Trevor is! Kid was very very fast. I wonder how all of this will play out -- ND QBs...
TL is actually more physical and is built up. Hes a beast. Just muscle wise, TL is above Joe. Not that this matter, just saying.

Ian is not on their level.

TL is faster than Phil

I still think Vince Young was the best college QB I’ve ever seen. Lawrence is probably the most surefire NFL draft pick since Luck.

I still think Vince Young was the best college QB I’ve ever seen. Lawrence is probably the most surefire NFL draft pick since Luck.
Vince Young, good call. For my money, Michael Vick is the best college QB I’ve seen. Tommy Frazier also amazing in a different era but surrounded by talent.

Reactions: tbonesays
Imagine the heights of the program if Randy Moss behaves himself or George O’Learys skeletons stayed in the closet?

Why do this? Lawrence was never even in play for the Irish.

Reactions: IrishMike409

We would’ve won the Michigan game if 1 single player would’ve actually given a damn and showed up to play that game.

I agree with the OP. Look at LSU and Burrow..... without him they have been bad on offense.... remember when we beat them a few years back? With Joe Cool they are world beaters..... Look at the playoff teams.... all the QB's are legit. It is obvious both in college and pro's you will go as far as your QB can take you.

You don’t think ND tried to recruit Lawrence? I’m sure they were on him, and I’m confident that he just wasn’t interested. Midwest cold, mandatory class, challenging courses, dorm living.....those things just don’t appeal to most football prodigies and surefire 1st round picks.

Lawrence was simply interested in what school would best keep him on his certain NFL trajectory. If you believe anything different, then there’s nothing I can do to help you.

ND was never an option for him.

Hmm.....seems Jimmy Clausen was the exact same type of prospect.

He even said going to ND was a "football decision".

More spin control.

If ND starts exhibiting an elite level of play on the field, elite players will come.

It happened for Kelly and Weis briefly with one recruiting class each.

The problem was neither was able to sustain an elite level of performance on the field and recruits over time get savvy to that.

Truth is, Lawerence and his family are very religious and hardworking, down to earth people. I'm sure ND would've gotten a long, hard look from his camp if they were playing football at an elite level.

The old cold weather, having to go to class, dorms, etc tripe is so nauseating and just utterly ridiculous.

Its pretty obvious that on a macro level elite players want to play at schools whom they determine have elite coaches that compete for national championships and place players in the NFL.

Players have varying degrees of preference for weather, local scene, living facilities, location, etc (and some actual do like things like academics and spirituality too) but those are mostly secondary considerations behind the quality of the football product on the field and the coaching they perceive they will receive.

And so you're right, Lawerence made a football decision to go to Clemson. But that does not mean that ND could not have been actively involved in his recruitment had they been able to offer a better quality product on the field. But to say he would never consider ND just because of weather blah blah dorms blah blah is just not accurate and simple minded excuse for Kelly once again offered up from the peanut gallery.

At the end of the day, Lawerence did not consider ND seriously because Kelly had a second rate football product to offer him on the field behind the likes of Clemson, Georgia, Bama, etc.

No different than when Weis had just coached Brady Quinn up to first round pick status and could whisper sweet nothings into Clausens ear about Tom Brady, Super Bowl rings, etc.

My position is we beat Georgia with Lawrence. Michigan game is much closer with Lawrence. And we dominated in our other wins by a wider margin with Lawrence.

Lawrence is one of the greatest college quarterbacks who ever lived

So was Dayne Crist and that Cincinatti Kid. Kelly could have turned TL into another failure to execute.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT