ADVERTISEMENT

IF (big if) we finish 5 - 7, and are offered a bowl...

Maplerock

Shakes Down The Thunder
Jan 24, 2010
Do we take it? I say Kelly would refuse, trying to eliminate an 8 loss season on his record. (Which he just may get anyway.)

That is a gloomy outlook. I'm hoping we jell at the right time, win 3 in a row and finish 6 - 6. Then on to a bowl game to end a disastrous year at 7 - 6.

Last edited:
Do we take it? I say Kelly would refuse, trying to eliminate an 8 loss season on his record. (Which he just may get anyway.)

That is a gloomy outlook. I'm hoping we jell at the right time, win 3 in a row and finish 6 - 6. Then on to a bowl game to end a disastrous year at 7 - 6.
If you had any knowledge you'd know USC is going to completely wipe ND.

Eric Hansen was discussing this the other day on "Sportsbeat". He mentioned that all three 5-7 teams that went to bowls last year won. He also mentioned that there is some kind of academic element to be a bowling 5-7 team and that ND isn't primed in that area as one might think. He never explained the details of that statement. Would the players be excited? Would the players who are going NFL put their careers on the line for this kind of bowl? I just want what's best for the kids and the program. Maybe sitting this one out, regroup, find the best DC available, recruit like madmen, and get ready for Spring practice might be a good decision. There is a lot riding on 2017. Or, play the bowl game and involve all the young guys and potential starters for 2017 so they can get a taste of game action. First things first. Beat VT.

Eric Hansen was discussing this the other day on "Sportsbeat". He mentioned that all three 5-7 teams that went to bowls last year won. He also mentioned that there is some kind of academic element to be a bowling 5-7 team and that ND isn't primed in that area as one might think. He never explained the details of that statement. Would the players be excited? Would the players who are going NFL put their careers on the line for this kind of bowl? I just want what's best for the kids and the program. Maybe sitting this one out, regroup, find the best DC available, recruit like madmen, and get ready for Spring practice might be a good decision. There is a lot riding on 2017. Or, play the bowl game and involve all the young guys and potential starters for 2017 so they can get a taste of game action. First things first. Beat VT.

The only thing I can think of is ... a bowl game for a 5-7 team may be played earlier in the bowl season, conflicting with ND's academic calendar, namely course finals.

Dream on! lololololololololololololololololololololololoolol

Ahh..... the yearly debate of there being to many bowl games and how big of a waste of time they are.... and no self respecting team should go to any bowl game unless it is on New Years day or later....

Like I say every year, if you are not a fan of those games, the solution is very simple... Just don't watch.

But I will tell you that if you decide to not watch, you are in the minority because obviously enough people are watching and they are making enough money to keep having these 'lousy' games every year.

It isn't like ND will hang the Meinke Car Care Bowl banner in the stadium if they win.... its simply an opportunity to play a new opponent and get some more practice in.

5-7? Hell, I hope we pass on a bowl even if we go 6-6.

BINGO -- NO 5 - 7 team EVER deserves a bowl game -- period. Hell, even 6 - 6 is pushing it.

Bowl games are a reward for a winning season -- what part of 5 - 7 or 6 - 6 screams winning season?

Ahh..... the yearly debate of there being to many bowl games and how big of a waste of time they are.... and no self respecting team should go to any bowl game unless it is on New Years day or later....

Like I say every year, if you are not a fan of those games, the solution is very simple... Just don't watch.

But I will tell you that if you decide to not watch, you are in the minority because obviously enough people are watching and they are making enough money to keep having these 'lousy' games every year.

It isn't like ND will hang the Meinke Car Care Bowl banner in the stadium if they win.... its simply an opportunity to play a new opponent and get some more practice in.

Agree 100% - Putting aside the usual emotional responses from this board towards BK, the team's year could have gone much differently (but it didn't). On a positive note we are getting tons of great game experience for the youngsters, the defense is trending in the right direction, and quite frankly I look forward to watching and rooting for our Irish no matter what. Would love to see them play one extra game before the long off-season wait.

Reactions: nemeth#5
5-7 teams must be selected in order of their APR. That's the academic measure in choosing 5-7 bowl teams.

I think its pathetic that 5-7 teams are even invited to bowl games. Being invited to a bowl game must be earned upon the merits of a winning season. IMO.
I suggest you don't watch them.

So if a team, say Kentucky, has 3 wins against AA schools, and 3 wins against the bottom of the SEC (Vanderbilt, Miss St, and Missouri) and they get absolutely blown out in 6 of their other games..... they are deserving of a bowl game because they won as many games as they lost?

I guess I just don't get the whole 'we don't deserve it' claim. No one is going to go around yelling about how ND just won the Lucas Oil Bowl. We wont tell our kids about the great year ND had in 2016 that they capped off beating Northern Illinois in a bowl game that took place in Helena Montana. You get what you deserve.... and at 5-7 with a strong academic program... you deserve a sh*t bowl game.... it is that simple.

The problem has nothing to do with 5-7 teams, it has to do with having too many NCAA sanctioned bowls.

Isn't having 5-7 teams playing in bowls the result of having too many NCAA sanctioned bowls?

I suggest you don't watch them.

So if a team, say Kentucky, has 3 wins against AA schools, and 3 wins against the bottom of the SEC (Vanderbilt, Miss St, and Missouri) and they get absolutely blown out in 6 of their other games..... they are deserving of a bowl game because they won as many games as they lost?

I guess I just don't get the whole 'we don't deserve it' claim. No one is going to go around yelling about how ND just won the Lucas Oil Bowl. We wont tell our kids about the great year ND had in 2016 that they capped off beating Northern Illinois in a bowl game that took place in Helena Montana. You get what you deserve.... and at 5-7 with a strong academic program... you deserve a sh*t bowl game.... it is that simple.
I don't watch them, but thanks for that suggestion. If a team say Kentucky goes 6-6, then I still don't think they're worthy of going to a bowl. If the SEC is too tough for them to have winning seasons and go to bowl games, then leave the conference.

Reactions: nemeth#5
Nobody likes our season this year and says we need improvement.
How do you get improvement? More practice. A bowl game is gift that allows you
to extend your season. More practice time, more film time etc. etc. As much as it
sucks to go to the Meineke Car Care Bowl, it allows extra time between coach
and players. You cannot understate that.

The bowl may suck, but could potentially pay dividends next year. And yes, there are too many bowls. But if sponsors are willing to open their checkbooks, the NCAA isn't going to refuse the money. There may not be enough bowl-eligible teams again this year, so yes, the Irish may have the opportunity to go to a bowl at 5-7.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT