ADVERTISEMENT

Ian Book Drew Brees

NotreDame du Lac

Posts Like A Champion
Jan 29, 2015
Not saying I think h can be as good but he has similar size. If he works his ass off does he have a shot at starting someplace? Legit question. Intelligent responses appreciated.

Fast defenses in the NFL and his inability to throw the deep ball both say “NO”. So does my Magic 8 Ball.

I hear ya, OP. But I was thinking that, since he has 2 legs like Reggie White did, he might transition to DL and be a HOF at that position.

Not saying I think h can be as good but he has similar size. If he works his ass off does he have a shot at starting someplace? Legit question. Intelligent responses appreciated.
I know you aren't saying that he can be Drew Brees, but this topic always strikes a nerve for me. So do not take this personally. But Drew Brees comparisons are the laziest comparisons in sports. Literally every college quarterback at or under 6' has been compared to Drew Brees. Since being on this board, Everett Golson, Malik Zaire, Tommy Rees, and Ian Book have been compared to Drew Brees. While this may sound harsh, whenever someone makes a Drew Brees comparison, I question their football knowledge.

But here is your answer, Drew Brees has been so successful because he knows exactly where he is going every play. Book doesn't see the field at all like Brees.

Let's use an example. Brees made Jimmy Graham an All Pro tight end by throwing the seam route to him all the time. The seam route is something that we have been begging Book to hit for three years.

Nowhere near the same
Just don't see the same acumen at playing the position Brees has always had. Not even close.

Books comparison ceiling is Chad Pennington and that would be an amazing accomplishment for him

Books deep ball is suspect, his pocket presence is iffy, his ability to get through his reads without abandoning is not great, and he has not to date shown am affinity for pushing the ball into small spaces in the middle of the field.

Books not that good.
At similar junctures even? Jeff Garcia was undrafted and played in Canada where as Ian Book is likely to go in the 7th round or latch on as a free agent somewhere. I am comparing their skill sets, size and potential. It's probably a best case scenario for Book.

I know you aren't saying that he can be Drew Brees, but this topic always strikes a nerve for me. So do not take this personally. But Drew Brees comparisons are the laziest comparisons in sports. Literally every college quarterback at or under 6' has been compared to Drew Brees. Since being on this board, Everett Golson, Malik Zaire, Tommy Rees, and Ian Book have been compared to Drew Brees. While this may sound harsh, whenever someone makes a Drew Brees comparison, I question their football knowledge.

But here is your answer, Drew Brees has been so successful because he knows exactly where he is going every play. Book doesn't see the field at all like Brees.

Let's use an example. Brees made Jimmy Graham an All Pro tight end by throwing the seam route to him all the time. The seam route is something that we have been begging Book to hit for three years.

Don't get mad at me, I only compare Book to Baker Mayfield.

Ok, for fun. In your opinion, why is that a comparison you make?

I'm kidding. I don't actually compare him to Baker Mayfield. But when the haters get going, and I'm trying to reason with them, and maybe they'll temper their hostility, I'll try to appease them with comments like 'Hey, he's not exactly Baker Mayfield, but he's still pretty damn good.... ' It usually doesn't calm them down.

At similar junctures even? Jeff Garcia was undrafted and played in Canada where as Ian Book is likely to go in the 7th round or latch on as a free agent somewhere. I am comparing their skill sets, size and potential. It's probably a best case scenario for Book.
Garcia made 4 pro bowls. Book has no shot at making the pro bowl. Garcia didnt get drafted because he played at a small school and the stigma of short qbs then. No comparison imo

Garcia made 4 pro bowls. Book has no shot at making the pro bowl. Garcia didnt get drafted because he played at a small school and the stigma of short qbs then. No comparison imo
I am not predicting that Book will make four Pro Bowls (or any), I am saying that he is in a similar mold. Almost exact same stature, not strong armed, is a scrappy overarchiever who makes plays with his legs. Both work best in a West coast style offense.

And I don't see why scouts or GMs would care that much about smaller schools. Talent is talent. Just look at a one Jerry Rice from little ol' Mississippi Valley State as an example.

Brees was the second qb picked in the NFL draft behind Michael Vick. I can say with 100% certainty that Book will not be. Anyone comparing Book to Brees with has no clue about football, or they are cat phising us
And Brees still holds a ton of Big Ten passing records to this day. I think a vast majority of ND fans only watch ND games. It’s why they’re shocked when the team gets curb stomped in the big games.

Book is a poor mans Garcia who was a very poor mans Brees. I think if Book can find a team and stick around and collect a check for 3-5 years that would be a great success.

Now he is, sure. But what was Garcia at the same stage? Obviously Drew Brees was a high draft pick, and we know Book probably isn't going to be that, so it's not a straight comparison in a very key way. But as far as Jeff Garcia goes.... how was he any different than Ian Book was at a similar stage? They're both short, they're both quick on their feet, and neither was expected to have much of a chance at an NFL career.

So I suppose I'm in agreement. Ian Book, at this point in his journey, is a young Jeff Garcia. How 'bout Dave Krieg?

Reactions: nemeth#5
Now he is, sure. But what was Garcia at the same stage? Obviously Drew Brees was a high draft pick, and we know Book probably isn't going to be that, so it's not a straight comparison in a very key way. But as far as Jeff Garcia goes.... how was he any different than Ian Book was at a similar stage? They're both short, they're both quick on their feet, and neither was expected to have much of a chance at an NFL career.

So I suppose I'm in agreement. Ian Book, at this point in his journey, is a young Jeff Garcia. How 'bout Dave Krieg?
Correct Ian Books the athlete does resemble the type of physical ability you see playing quarterback at San Jose State.

Guess you could say he is lightyears ahead of Garcia at the same point. Garcia had a mediocre college career at a smaller school.

Reactions: savvyandsassier
Correct Ian Books the athlete does resemble the type of physical ability you see playing quarterback at San Jose State.

Now you're even sniggering about that? Classic.... The one area of his game that was supposed to be beyond reproach, his scrambling and his athletic ability and you're denigrating even that too. Nice!

The two qb's most like Book at ND, Clements, Montana...

Both Clements and Montana did not have the size, arm strength, deep ball ability, etc. to make in the NFL.

One made it, one did not.... For Book it all depends on where he would land....

My thoughts his best chance is in NE....

Now you're even sniggering about that? Classic.... The one area of his game that was supposed to be beyond reproach, his scrambling and his athletic ability and you're denigrating even that too. Nice!
I would never denigrate Ian’s happy feet. It will forever be the the most memorable part of his game.

Yeah..that and the fact that he has more wins than any other ND QB.😉
As good as the 29-5 have been, there are other numbers that must be taken into account. Notre Dame’s record against opponents that finished ranked in the Top 25, Top 15 and Top 10. For Book, those numbers are 3-3, 1-2 and 1-5.

“As good as the 29-5 have been, there are other numbers that must be taken into account. Notre Dame’s record against opponents that finished ranked in the Top 25, Top 15 and Top 10. For Book, those numbers are 3-3, 1-2 and 1-5.”

It’s 30-5, and not all those losses are on book. But carry on w/ the bashing, it really makes a lot of sense when you’re talking about the qb that led us to our best scoring output ever, two playoff performances, two perfect regular seasons, a win over #1, a berth in the ACCCG, the far & away leader in 4th qtr pass efficiency the last three seasons, finished top 9 in the Heisman voting, just to name a few. Not bad for a “backup at best”, but bash on, I know you and a few others have perfected it. 🤮

“As good as the 29-5 have been, there are other numbers that must be taken into account. Notre Dame’s record against opponents that finished ranked in the Top 25, Top 15 and Top 10. For Book, those numbers are 3-3, 1-2 and 1-5.”

It’s 30-5, and not all those losses are on book. But carry on w/ the bashing, it really makes a lot of sense when you’re talking about the qb that led us to our best scoring output ever, two playoff performances, two perfect regular seasons, a win over #1, a berth in the ACCCG, the far & away leader in 4th qtr pass efficiency the last three seasons, finished top 9 in the Heisman voting, just to name a few. Not bad for a “backup at best”, but bash on, I know you and a few others have perfected it. 🤮
Sorry if the facts hurt your feelings. It wasn't bashing just being real. The fact that he probably won't be drafted is proof he was an average college qb that benifited from some of NDs weakest schedules

Reactions: NIN Irish
“Sorry if the facts hurt your feelings. It wasn't bashing just being real. The fact that he probably won't be drafted is proof he was an average college qb that benifited from some of NDs weakest schedules”

What facts? You just posted records against top 25, top 10 & top 5 teams w/o acknowledging that it may not have been all on the qb in those games. Don’t get your feelings hurt because someone called you out on a lazy tool to bolster your BS incessant bashing of a really good qb.

Reactions: Pennick4
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT