ADVERTISEMENT

How to attack Venables defense?

thomasna

All Star
Gold Member
Oct 15, 2008
***Please refrain from posting if you are going to doomsday about Rees, Kelly, Book, Swarbrick or Fr. Jenkins***
Homers and intelligent football discussion wanted.

How would you attack Clemson's defense if you were ND with the players we have?
I remember Ryan Day having a lot of success using tempo and physicality against Venables in the CFP playoff last year. Joe Brady had tremendous success spreading Venables out last year and going deep. BC had success using the deep ball to hurt Clemson. I don't believe ND can push the tempo like OSU did last year nor do I believe we can spread and isolate Clemson like LSU did last year. However, I do believe that ND can attack Clemson in a couple ways.

1. Set a physical tone early. I think ND can wear down Clemson's DL over the course of the game. Run right at them instead of outside runs to start the game. The runs plays must be quick developing plays. Kyren, C'Bo and Tyree must finish the runs with authority.
2. Hit a couple deep balls. Book can do this and has done it before. I thought the Clemson corners were soft in the BC game. They are talented but got out fought for the ball on a couple TD throws. ND must use their size and strength at receiver to get the ball down the field a couple times.
3. Utilize Tremble more in the receiving game. I think Tremble could be very hard for Clemson to defend.

How else could ND attack Clemson's defense?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News